Dead battery

Rich00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before, but I have a question.
Can the battery be charged from under the hood rather than taking off the left rear wheel and charging the battery directly? What do I need to disconnect to prevent any damage to the electrical system from the charger?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may charge at the positive post with the red plastic cover, under the hood, and ground to the frame connection just below. You do not need to disconnect anything to charge the battery at this location. You probably have lost your computer memory and will find that the car, after starting will be a little rough at idle. It will have to relearn your driving habits before it runs correctly. It is supposed to learn faster if the a/c is on, so try having it turned on for a while while learning.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's what usually happens. Many owners leave the hood open when the car is in the garage. This activate a high current draw in the alarm system. You will notice that the small lights on the inside door latches do not turn off. If you have everything closed on the car, these lights should go out in 30 seconds. If they stay on and the hood is closed, you may have a switch on the hood that needs adjusting or a switch on the deck lid that needs adjusting. If you are going to leave the hood unlatched, you need to have the Battery Tender connected all the time, otherwise the battery will drain in 2 or 3 days. If it is closed, and the two lights are out, the battery will last about 3 weeks. You need to have a Battery Tender if the car is sitting for over 2 weeks without running. This is caused by the parasitic drain from the alarm system, even when it is not activated. The only way to prevent this without a Battery Tender is to disconnect the battery at the battery post. You will lose your ECU memory but the battery will not run down. This is my .02, someone else may have a different theory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine