dead car

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was down in fells point baltimore tonight, out with a friend getting a burger. We try to leave around midnight, car is dead. Luckily someone has jumper cables, hooks up to his car for about 15 minutes, nothing. We find a bigger car, hook up for about 15 minutes, same deal. Find a party limo bus, hooked up to him, 15 minutes, still dead, luckily she had AAA and they were able to tow the car back to my garage at 3am... LONG NIGHT for sure.

Im going to change the battery tomorrow, as its about 7 years old. thanks to all who put up illustrated 'how-to's'. Main question is, Do I have to reset my VEC-1 when I install the new battery?

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trust me mike, it was. We kept trying to turn it over with the other person revving their engine and the cables on. We also tried three rolling starts, where I would pop the clutch and turn over the engine...yeah, those didnt work either...

if this sounds like more than a battery to anyone, please let me know

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the battery has a broken or shorted cell plate, it could cause problems like you are experiencing.

A broken plate means no energy whatsoever from the battery. And I don't think a car can run or be jumped off a car with no battery, which in effect is what a broken plate battery represents.

In the case of a shorted plate battery, there may be reduced voltage available, which is bad it seems for a Viper, or all of the energy being produced by the battery is being absorbed by the short and is dissipated as heat.

BTW, a 7 year old battery needs replacing anyway, just as cheap insurance. You've gotten your money's worth out of it!

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went to advance, got a new batt for 80 bucks and changed it out, all seems to be working well now. However let me say, changing that battery is the most unbelievably stupid process ever, sometimes Im amazed how ridiculous the engineering is. But hey, all good now, and it was fun taking a couple wrenches to it and gettin dirty ;)

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went to advance, got a new batt for 80 bucks and changed it out, all seems to be working well now. However let me say, changing that battery is the most unbelievably stupid process ever, sometimes Im amazed how ridiculous the engineering is. But hey, all good now, and it was fun taking a couple wrenches to it and gettin dirty ;)

I don't know why they didn't put the battery in the trunk. :dunno: I guess it would have made it to easy to replace it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R