Decided to fix my sagging Headliner (Pics)

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Couldn't stand the embarrassing look of my sagging headliner anymore (RT/10) so I decided to fix it by myself. Got some headliner fabric online plus the OEM push in fasteners (got those from VPA) since I was sure to break some if not all of them (12 in total) when removing the headliner from the hard top. Luckily, I only broke 6 of them. I think I will be able to re-use the remaining 6 :) .

Here are some pics (from old to new):

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the new headliner fabric (2mm of foam backing):

As starting point I selected the pocket area...

and moved forward step by step...

I am very pleased with the outcome ;) No comparison to the before and now I have a headliner, that looks fresh from the factory :D .

But before I put it back on, I need to get this SAGGING POCKET fixed!!! DAMN!!! :crazy2:

Stay tuned!

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been semi working on a fix for the pocket but my source fell through. I will be bringing it to an upholsterer soon to see if I can get a mass produced setup.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good, I too need a replacement. I have removed my net pocket from the rear bulkhead, unpicked the stitching and stretched it out a bit. the black elastic is shot just like in the pics above.
I have now got to get the needle and cotton out and hand sew it back together!

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great! Which glue did you use?

I used normal contact adhesive (a product called "Pattex") because it can withstand temperatures up to 110°C and applied it with a brush. Normally, you would apply this type of glue to both parts, let it dry a few minutes and press the two parts together so it will bond immediately. But this is not a good idea in this case since you have no chance to correct anything. Especially, when you are working on the corner areas, this would ruin your work. But due to the fact, that in this case the adhesive does not have to "hold" a lot of weight I went a different route. I only applied the glue to the headliner core and put the fabric on. I may not have the full strength of the bonding but was able to get the fabric on without wrinkles :) . I should mention that I did a test before on some sample parts and the bonding was still strong enough to destroy the headliner when pulling it off the test object after drying. :smirk: .

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good, I too need a replacement. I have removed my net pocket from the rear bulkhead, unpicked the stitching and stretched it out a bit. the black elastic is shot just like in the pics above.
I have now got to get the needle and cotton out and hand sew it back together!

My plan is to replace the shot black elastic by new one. I showed it to a tailor but she said she has not the right sewing machine for this elastic stuff :rolleyes: . Didn't really understand it but will show it to a second one. Maybe she just didn't want to do the job.....

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My plan is to replace the shot black elastic by new one. I showed it to a tailor but she said she has not the right sewing machine for this elastic stuff :rolleyes: . Didn't really understand it but will show it to a second one. Maybe she just didn't want to do the job.....
You could be right, the elastic is doubled up and with the metal frame on the rear bulkhead pocket I think you would need a special machine as the fork would have to be very narrow to avoid hitting the metal frame? .....Not that I know anything about sewing!

Your roof lining looks Awesome :2tu: Great pics

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fixed mine too. I removed it, never replaced it and painted the underside of the top. Nobody notices that the liner is missing and not replacing it saves 5lbs which is very helpful considering the awkwardness of installing and removing the hardtop.

I still have the old one sitting around. Droopy felt liner included. The first $500 + shipping gets it.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could be right, the elastic is doubled up and with the metal frame on the rear bulkhead pocket I think you would need a special machine as the fork would have to be very narrow to avoid hitting the metal frame? .....Not that I know anything about sewing!

Your roof lining looks Awesome :2tu: Great pics

Thanks. With regards to the metal frame: I would think, that you sew this on by hand and not with the machine. When you look at the original part this seam is a very easy one and I am almost sure, that it was done manually already in the factory. I am more concerned about the replacement of the elastic.

But let's see what the next tailor says...:idea:

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, took the pocket to another tailor. Guess what? She also didn't feel being in position to do the job :dunno: This time, it had something to do with the metal frame. When I told her that this area could/should be done by hand and not by machine, she was just looking at me with numerous question marks in her eyes.... Man, I seem to have serious communication issues with this kind of women...

When I came home and told the story to my wife, she just replied: "Why don't you ask our neighbour? She has a sewing machine and does quite a lot of stuff...!?"

At least, THIS women does understand me!! :kiss:

But back to the topic. I removed the pocket from the metal frame and removed the no-more-elastic-border from the smaller net. I will do the same with the larger net and then go to my neighbour. I know her quite well and I am pretty confident, that I will have less communication problems compared to these other tailor women :smirk:

As usual, some pics:

Stay tuned!

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am back with an update :)

My neighbour was able what those 2 tailors weren't (or didn't want to do :dunno: ): She sewed the new elastic to the pockets.

I then sewed the pockets back on to the iron carrier by myself. Probably the worst seam man ever made but luckily this is invisible :cool:

Here's the formerly sagging pocket re-installed on the formerly sagging (and sucking) headliner:

Next and final step will be the re-installation of the headliner to the hardtop.

Last edited:

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thing your roof is done with all the rain Europe is receiving....:crazy2: Just crazy to see all the flooding in Germany and Austria.

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good thing your roof is done with all the rain Europe is receiving....:crazy2: Just crazy to see all the flooding in Germany and Austria.

True!!! Luckily I live more in the western part of Germany where we had been spared from the rain and flood. But in Bavaria and eastern parts of the country it is really bad. Normally, I am jealous on the people living in the south of Germany for the nice weather. Not so this time....I actually feel bad for them.

Today, I test fitted my new headliner. I think it came out really nice and the times of sagging pockets are over (hope it will stay in shape for the next 15 years :))

As I ripped half of the fasteners during removal of the headliner the "leftovers" remained in the hardtop, making bad noises when moving the top. I removed one of the latches in the front corners and "shaked" the top so that those parts were forced to "meet" in that corner. I then could evacuate them from the roof with the vacuum cleaner through the opening of that removed latch. May sound easy but wasn't. More a PITA demanding quite some patience. But finally I succeeded and no more noises generated by the roof :)

Final step will be the installation of the headliner with the help of the OEM fasteners. Another project closed :headbang:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is great work and thanks so much for posting the step by step pictures. I too have one of those sagging headliners on my '98 RT. I bought 3M headliner adhesive but have just not had the umph to start the project.

So, did you need a special tool to get out the push fasteners? I recall someone on this site did his and found that Lowes carries a fastener just like the OEM ones....just sayin'.

Also, do you need the top off the car to take out the headliner or will it come out once you remove all the push fasteners?

Thanks again!

OP
OP
G

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To remove the fasteners I used one of those plastic clip removers (e.g. from KS Tools). I think the Lowes fasteners don't come with the fabric heads, that's why I purchased the OEM ones to keep the stock look. Maybe you could remove the headliner while the top is installed but I don't recommend it as you don't have a lot of room in there for this exercise. It will be a PITA (just my opinion).

I still need to install the new headliner, will post some more pics once I have done this (with the OEM fasteners).

PS: Where in CT are you from? I used to travel to the Hartford area in the past for business purposes and still have some colleagues over there. Maybe we can meet up when I will be around next time (no idea when this will be though)?

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guess I'll take the tip of first! :) Hartford is about an hour and a half northeast of here. Lee me know when you're in the area.

cableguyy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get the material and the fasteners before you did the whole thing what did you use to keep the sagging off your head

cableguyy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the replacement netting you really did an amazing job! Not sure why my name says enthusiasm I own a 2000 RT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi