Deep freezing rotating parts - cryogenic treatment

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any metalurgists on board? We have been doing some basic research on "freezing" rotors, pistons, tranny parts, etc. "They" say it refines the grain struture of metals at the atomic level, by cryogenicly freezing to -300F. Makes for a denser and smoother surface.

Any thoughts?
DV

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The initial reports indicate longer life from certain parts and better over all preformance. Brake rotors for example. Claims are, longer life, less chance of warpage and will run cooler.

This is one site that we have found: http://www.frozenrotors.com/cryo.htm

Does make for interesting reading.
DV

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Howie Frank and Skip Thomas from Viper Days have a company called "300 Below" that is in the business you are speaking of. They have been freezing car parts for Viper owners for years. Howie is the expert. He is a member of the Illinois VCA, where I'm sure you can get his phone.

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used cryo treating on some tooling at my shop. The best results we've seen is when D2 tool steel was treated. Results were amazing. We're presently evaluating springs and other steels. I've tried a set of rotors but did not notice any significant difference. Test was subjective. A simple evaluation is to run one treated and one stock rotor. Measure initial thickness. Run an event and re-measure.

OP
OP
D

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,
Where's Hinckley, Oh? Is that the home of the Buzzrds?
You must be registered for see images

Looked in two atlas', not listed in either one. We're in London, can't be much bigger than Hinckley! Just wondered who you used for your "freezing" process.

DV
ps aahh finally found it!

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Hinckley is the home of the buzzards. Fable has it that they return every March 15th just like the swallows of capistrano(sp).
I used a company called 300 Deg Below Zero. I think their in Streetsborough OH. I'll e-mail the number tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte