Detonation Problems, Problems Problems! What Gives???

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much timing are you running now? I know a lot of cars running the water/**** are actually at 0 degrees (versus the normal 6D cards), and some are actually pushed to +4 degrees advanced.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok you guys ready for this? COLD PLUGS!!! changed the plugs to BOSCH and the detonation is gone when the car is running cool. when i go into boost several time and the car heats up it starts gto detonate again but only at the initial punch of the gas.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that with 93 or race fuel??...You do not not want any detonation at all...wait till summer comes...if it's doing it now wait till it gets hot out. Pull some timing and get that rig running right...Al... :eek: :eek:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A simple opinion, use a bore scope, or do a leak-down test, see if you have any damage. You can also use a 20-40X magifying scope to look at your plugs and see if it is a specific cylinder that is the issue.

The damage happens around peak torque (4000 rpm), you may only be hearing the early-on pinging. Further sounds of detonation may be masked by the engined noise. Like everyone is saying you have to pull timing in the mid range, you are walking the plank and it is getting shorter.

The following is once again interesting reading:

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/Page_2.php

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so today i put in 5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded race fuel to my already 93 oct half a tank and let me tell you. what a difference it made. i put back my original card where the timing was not pulled and car produced the highest numbers on the dyno and the car just moves with no DETONATION whats so ever. feels like i just added another 100HP! i just dont want to use this race gasall the time since i use my car alot! its $55 for 5 gallons. Now thats expensive gas :eek:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone once told me about adding a gallon of xylene or tolulene to a full tank of gas to raise the octane. did ya try that or anyone else ever hear of that ?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good exemple Dimitrios.
If the required high octane fuel is not available sometimes it is better to run with a lower boost. It will yield to more HP since you don't have to retard as much the ignition. Since you stayed with the 10lb pulley you had to pull back some a lot of ignition and you lost power. With the race fuel you gained the power back.

Dimitrious, what plugs did you have before the bosch ? Do you have the number on the side of the plugs .

I don't think that they are bad plugs but for a high boost if would be logical to run with colder plugs. The bosch was too cold for my little 6.5lb boost.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good exemple Dimitrios.
If the required high octane fuel is not available sometimes it is better to run with a lower boost. It will yield to more HP since you don't have to retard as much the ignition. Since you stayed with the 10lb pulley you had to pull back some a lot of ignition and you lost power. With the race fuel you gained the power back.

Dimitrious, what plugs did you have before the bosch ? Do you have the number on the side of the plugs .

I don't think that they are bad plugs but for a high boost if would be logical to run with colder plugs. The bosch was too cold for my little 6.5lb boost.

had the regular stock champion plugs..

so ran out of race fuel yesterday and the detonation is back..

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey D,
Change out your plugs to a Champion 918(RC10ECC). This is a colder and much better plug. It is all I use now. :2tu:

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi D, It took me a few times to get mine right too. Dave gave me a larger W/M injector for one side. Overnite Shawn you card, with your dyno sheets..explain whats happening he will send you a few different cards with some different timing/fuel programs, change the injector, and you will be running great...keep the 96 PCM, that has nothing to do with your problem. He sent me 3 cards and the first one did the trick...Keep the card you have now for your race fuel program...NO MORE PINGING...AL... :laugh: :laugh:
D, This is the correct answer to your problem...call Sean ...Problem will be solved...Al... :D

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D when we went to the track did you have that problem? I didn't hear anything when you took off

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire