Devildog and others please read.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call them DC,or Chrysler,or Dodge.They either just don't get it or corporate mentality prevents them from saying I,We screwed up and we should change right now.Everyone in the entire world knows what a Viper is.You know the 24 hours of Lemans winner and the car that stood the automotive world on its head with inovative style,performance and thinking.No one gives a rats *** or has a clue what SRT means.We all know it has been a major screw up.Instead of marketing as cousin,little brother or mentor of the Viper they have come up with srt.So we get srt8 instead of 300-V etc.Yep a major marketing screw up.As far as style goes the SRT vipers can't hold a candle to those clown shoes and are still sitting around at dealers as 04 never driven for more than 20 large under MSRP even though they are quicker in a straight line and have superior braking and handling.The SRT viper just doesn't visualy cut it.The charger is just plain FUGLY.Solution:Dump the gen SRT viper as soon as possible and move on to a gen IV VIPER.Dump the SRT name from everything.Promote all high performance models as team Viper designed with a V designation.Go back to european(Italian) styling cues for the Viper not asian and FIRE the people carrying white canes that designed the charger. GTS Bruce

"V" wont work since its used by CADILLAC! V-SERIES is CADILLACS performace group! How about AMG,SVT,SS or maybe just M. Oops all taken.

Chill out dude your too tense... Here, try this...

You must be registered for see images

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i for one would love to see a new viper. the coupe looks pretty good. why didn't they keep the sport bar for the srt? i for one would like to see a return to the gen1/2 heritage. sorry srt guys. i do think your car is very cool. when i was a kid the viper was the talk of the town. everyone young and old seem to want one. they were new, fresh, and exotic. they have seem to lose most of that. ferrari, lambo, and porche still have it. sad that DC dropped the ball. that's why i bought a gen2 instead of a new car.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why didn't they keep the sport bar for the srt?
To DC's credit they listened to the crowd wanting a "true" convertible. True convertibles however, never look as good as coupes and as we all know now, when the true convertible came out (with more power I might add) it wasn't bought.

The RT/10 wouldn't look so great without the sport bar either.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread sounds like a Gen 1&2 circle **** to me...Lets all pat ourselves on the back for being so wise to own the best car in the world....It is a matter of taste...PERIOD...All Vipers are great...I love the SRT convertible...Maybe not as unique looking as Gen 1&2, but still a real head turner...AL... :buttkick: :confused:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious is there any badging on the new Coupe or SRT convertibles that say viper? I know they have the Fangs logo on them, but not sure if they have anything on them to identify it as a viper?

Me personally I like the new coupe and can't wait to see one in person.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just curious is there any badging on the new Coupe or SRT convertibles that say viper? I know they have the Fangs logo on them, but not sure if they have anything on them to identify it as a viper?
As always, VIPER first, then the model...

Dave - I agree 110% that we need to make our voices known - and loudly. I honestly don't remember who denied there would ever be a Coupe, but it certainly seemed logical based on the RT/10 followed by the GTS release four years later. I would also say that DC/SRT took a very keen interest in our feedback at the last VOI: When had you ever heard of a car company showing a new model to its customers before the press? There wasn't even a leak in the trade rags - Viper owners saw it first and were the first to provide feedback on the design. And guess what? That feedback led directly to some changes before it went to production. Personally, I think they probably had a coupe in mind all along.

Much like the current "vocalists", the relative few demanding a Coupe would not have been worth the exercise (and who knows if it is now). I would say that generously speaking you probably had less than 100 people asking for a Coupe, including the racers. Did they build it strictly for them? Doubtful.

Where the dead horse comes into play is regarding the slamming of the SRT (and thus their owners), especially when Dan Knott himself has already hinted at some sort of future product. Did they "screw up"? Nope. Besides the 1994 RT/10, the SRT-10 outsold every single year of ANY Viper produced, including the GTS. Here are the top five in order:

1994 Viper RT/10 - 2394 sold in the US
2004 Viper SRT-10 - 2231 sold in the US
2003 Viper SRT-10 - 1739 sold in the US
1997 Viper GTS - 1671 sold in the US
1995 Viper RT/10 - 1422 sold in the US

The SRT-10 sold more than any year Viper model since 1994. It gets better: Of the 1739 SRT-10's sold in 2003, not one was a "special" edition and all were sold to current Viper owners. Yet in the very last year of GTS/ACR production EVER, just under 40% were "special editions". And still they could only sell a total of 873 in the US for the entire model year. I have said it before and will say it again: The GTS is the most beautiful Viper ever produced in my opinion. Yet they couldn't even sell 1000 of them in their final year, even when 360 were "special editions". The SRT-10 is a runaway hit by comparison. And besides a very vocal few, the design has been embraced by most Viper owners and virtually all of the automotive press.

The problem I have is the constant disparaging of the SRT by fellow Viper owners. Constructive criticism? Bring it on! And I suspect Dodge will listen. Insult them at every single turn and eventually they will just throw in the towel. Like it or not, we are all on the same team. I can't imagine that if one of our players sat on the bench screaming "YOU ****! YOU SCREWED UP! YOU LIE! IT'S ALL CYA WITH YOU!" they would be on the team for very long. And even if they were by default, they sure as hell wouldn't get any input on the plays.

That's my point.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with Y2K5SRT, we ALL love our Vipers. I have said it before, I wish that I could afford to own at least one of each coupe and vert. We all have our opinion as to where beauty lies, but we shouldn't slam others because they disagree with us. A lot of men fought and died for us to have the PRIVILEGE to have and VOICE our opinions. Maybe sometimes we get caught up with our own choice and forget they are not the only CORRECT choice. Just my .02. :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The numbers are good but they don't necessarily apply Chris.

The GenI/IIs are liked by everybody but not everybody can see themselves driving one. The SRT styling is "watered down" somewhat and consequently more folks can see themselves in one. Thankfully the performance blows away the previous Gens so, I can see myself driving one too. :)

But I still wish DC would go back to radical styling and apparently so do a lot of these posers.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yet in the very last year of GTS/ACR production EVER, just under 40% were "special editions". And still they could only sell a total of 873 in the US for the entire model year. I have said it before and will say it again: The GTS is the most beautiful Viper ever produced in my opinion. Yet they couldn't even sell 1000 of them in their final year, even when 360 were "special editions".

I wonder how much of this may have been affected by 1) Stock market crash of 2000 2) Post 9/11 psychological and/or financial insecurities 3) Slow sales due to a new model being released.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To put the SRT down isn't a worthy argument here. The likes of these cars are all in the eyes of the beholder. However I am leaning towards Chuck 98's opinion, as I feel the Viper being a retro 60's inspired race car derived from the likes of the great race cars of that era, needs to re-gain styling cues of its aggressive roots. Many I think would agree that over the years its style has been watered down considerably. I think many of us still crave the aggressive looks of a race car that has curves like a woman. IMO I think Viper needs to get back to the 60's retro stying it had when it was first designed. Real sports car enthusiast will not mind even if its so low the ground effects scrape and the car isn't as practical for everyday. The concept and intention of the Viper was never meant for everyone to like it: I think the people that are disappointed with the new style and want to see a race car again, including myself:
What we want: A New Aggressive Viper Retro maybe from some of these:
Jag C Type
7328a2-med.jpg

Daytona
7328a9-med.jpg

Ferrari P330
7328a6-med.jpg

Aston Martin
7328a7.jpg

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't suprise me that GTSBruce is giving DevilDog a reach around.. In public nontheless! geeez guys... Transparent as glass. There's a new model out and you feel threatened. I call it the

corvettedrivesbyintheotherdirectionandwontlookoveratyoucausehesjealous syndrome

I drove my Viper today. The young ladies in front of me could not stop turning around and waving. Even the boyfriend driving was giving thumbs up as I went by. Parket it in the parked lot and there were 3 people admiring it. Overheard them say "it's incredible" as they were pearing in. Then there was the fella' yesterday at the pumps and his friends that had to get out of their truck and talk and take photos. Kept saying how they loved the lines so much better than the vette.

What a great day

I was driving the SRT

G

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
To put the SRT down isn't a worthy argument here. The likes of these cars are all in the eyes of the beholder. However I am leaning towards Chuck 98's opinion, as I feel the Viper being a retro 60's inspired race car derived from the likes of the great race cars of that era, needs to re-gain styling cues of its aggressive roots. Many I think would agree that over the years its style has been watered down considerably. I think many of us still crave the aggressive looks of a race car that has curves like a woman. IMO I think Viper needs to get back to the 60's retro stying it had when it was first designed. Real sports car enthusiast will not mind even if its so low the ground effects scrape and the car isn't as practical for everyday. The concept and intention of the Viper was never meant for everyone to like it: I think the people that are disappointed with the new style and want to see a race car again, including myself:
What we want: A New Aggressive Viper Retro maybe from some of these:
Ferrari P330
7328a6-med.jpg

That P330 is drop dead gorgeous! :2tu:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Doesn't suprise me that GTSBruce is giving DevilDog a reach around.. In public nontheless! geeez guys... Transparent as glass. There's a new model out and you feel threatened. I call it the

corvettedrivesbyintheotherdirectionandwontlookoveratyoucausehesjealous syndrome

I drove my Viper today. The young ladies in front of me could not stop turning around and waving. Even the boyfriend driving was giving thumbs up as I went by. Parket it in the parked lot and there were 3 people admiring it. Overheard them say "it's incredible" as they were pearing in. Then there was the fella' yesterday at the pumps and his friends that had to get out of their truck and talk and take photos. Kept saying how they loved the lines so much better than the vette.

What a great day

I was driving the SRT

G

Wow what whit. I was totally surprised when you dropped down and said SRT. :rolleyes: Also, in the future please don't let your *** lifestyle enter into your posts. :buttkick:

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave - I agree 110% that we need to make our voices known - and loudly. I honestly don't remember who denied there would ever be a Coupe, but it certainly seemed logical based on the RT/10 followed by the GTS release four years later. I would also say that DC/SRT took a very keen interest in our feedback at the last VOI: When had you ever heard of a car company showing a new model to its customers before the press? There wasn't even a leak in the trade rags - Viper owners saw it first and were the first to provide feedback on the design. And guess what? That feedback led directly to some changes before it went to production. Personally, I think they probably had a coupe in mind all along.

Much like the current "vocalists", the relative few demanding a Coupe would not have been worth the exercise (and who knows if it is now). I would say that generously speaking you probably had less than 100 people asking for a Coupe, including the racers. Did they build it strictly for them? Doubtful.

Where the dead horse comes into play is regarding the slamming of the SRT (and thus their owners), especially when Dan Knott himself has already hinted at some sort of future product. Did they "screw up"? Nope. Besides the 1994 RT/10, the SRT-10 outsold every single year of ANY Viper produced, including the GTS. Here are the top five in order:

The SRT-10 sold more than any year Viper model since 1994. It gets better: Of the 1739 SRT-10's sold in 2003, not one was a "special" edition and all were sold to current Viper owners. Yet in the very last year of GTS/ACR production EVER, just under 40% were "special editions". And still they could only sell a total of 873 in the US for the entire model year. I have said it before and will say it again: The GTS is the most beautiful Viper ever produced in my opinion. Yet they couldn't even sell 1000 of them in their final year, even when 360 were "special editions". The SRT-10 is a runaway hit by comparison. And besides a very vocal few, the design has been embraced by most Viper owners and virtually all of the automotive press.

The problem I have is the constant disparaging of the SRT by fellow Viper owners. Constructive criticism? Bring it on! And I suspect Dodge will listen. Insult them at every single turn and eventually they will just throw in the towel. Like it or not, we are all on the same team. I can't imagine that if one of our players sat on the bench screaming "YOU ****! YOU SCREWED UP! YOU LIE! IT'S ALL CYA WITH YOU!" they would be on the team for very long. And even if they were by default, they sure as hell wouldn't get any input on the plays.

That's my point.

Chris, as usual you argue your point well. For the most part, I agree with you.

Regarding posts made stating there will be no coupe, my memory is about as fuzzy as yours. I do remember us being told that there no current plans for building a Coupe (or GTS as we used to call them). The word "never" may be an error on my part. Here are some of the quotes from those days:

According to DC's E-mail today:
"While the 2003 Vipers are already accounted for, time is running out to get one of the last of the 2002 GTS coupe and RT/10 roadsters EVER built. At present, there are NO plans to produce an SRT-10 Coupe so we strongly encourage you to place your coupe orders now. Pricing information for the 2003 Viper SRT-10 WILL BE annouced at the end of the summer." DC

My OPINION is that they view the SRT/10 as the third Viper Version and the Comp Coup as version four. If this is what they are thinking then I do not expect a GTS to be built.

There were more posts on the Coupe version not happening but I don't have the patience to search for them.

In the mean time, remember this thread by Trey? How some of those opinions have changed. :D It's a little off topic but good for a little entertainment. OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!! THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics... -Mark Twain

While I agree with many of your points and support the tone you bring to the conversation, I don't think your numbers mean much.

1. The SRT's designs and ride are considerably muted (more aggressive, but less ****), thus more digestable to more people. My opinion: I prefer the outrageous and untamed.

2. The 2003 year was sold to a rabid, loyal Gen1-2 bunch that would buy anything Viper new... the purists stand their ground to this day.

3. The 2002 Gen2's did not sell as well because it was in the shadow of a new product. Nobody wants the soon-to-be-outdated model (That's why DC should NOT play the "Blue Devil" game). Let's see how well the 2005's sold before the coupe came out?

4. How do those numbers reflect the PERCENTAGE of cars sold vs how many built over a specific period of time (Were all the 2004 SRTs sold during the 2004 model year to OWNERS?)? I'm not saying the SRT's have the lower numbers, but unless you have ALL those numbers, the numbers you gave are pointless, marketing flashcards.

5. A lot of the SRT's sales are based on the street cred the GEN2's earned on the tracks... the winning from LeMans, etc. Truth is, SRT's have won nothing substatial since it's inception, and we can already feel the "dis" from the general public. I'll hear once a month from some jealous idiot, "I hear the vette is faster than your Viper." grrr

6. As someone else pointed out, 2001-2001 was a bad year economically and psychologically for our country in light of 9/11. By 2003, the economy and spirits picked up.

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I saw the '99 concept Charger ( designed by the same guy who designed the GTS ) I couldn't wait for it to come out. However, the Charger they did introduce in my opinion maybe one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. So I saved 30 K and am now waiting for the Challenger. I just hope they produce what they've shown... but I have my doubts.

Topawam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For me, Design is a one shot thing.
Example: AC Cobra, Type E Jag., 288 GTO, 350GT Mustang, All the cars V10Mafia is talking about and more...
I would think all those designs came from one person (respectively), and that makes their perfect beauty, lines. When you have a team, and particularly a marketing team, the design is affected in too many way to keep ONE spirit...
Just my 0.02.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the mean time, remember this thread by Trey? How some of those opinions have changed. :D It's a little off topic but good for a little entertainment. OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!! THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN?

Classic link. Fun reading.
No doubt! Especially since the original poster (thumbs down) has an SRT-10 in his avatar now. Likewise, some of the most vehement "thumbs down" now own SRT-10's as Dave noticed. Probably because very few had ever seen, and none had ever driven an SRT when that post was made. And of course many, many other people from that thread have simply disappeared from the Viper world altogether and some from these forums alone. That's unfortunate on all counts.

All that said, it is nice to see a more constructive tone to this thread, as I do think that Bruce and even DD make some very valid points. And as I have stated too many times to count, I prefer the looks of the GTS over the current SRT-10 and even the new Coupe. That's not to say either are ugly - I wouldn't have bought two of them if I thought that was the case. It's just that the GTS has always looked more "exotic" to my untrained eyes. Of course those same untrained eyes have always noticed the similarities of the GTS lines to the C3 Corvette, but we can save that discussion for the nursing home front porch a few decades from now. ;)

The one thing that is apparent is that people want to see change. While many thousands are quite satisfied with the current styling, all can agree that more horsepower is necessary to compete with the bow tie boys. The new Z06 made all Vipers vulnerable - and the SRT division as well. From what I have seen, the SRT division is the main aggressor in the world of performance cars today. Cadillac has their "V", Chevy has the Z06, Pontiac just announced the death of the GTO, and Ford announced the pre-planned death of the GT - leaving only the Mustang. You literally have only a handful of American performance cars outside of SRT. And SRT has one in damn near every automotive category besides the minivan:

Compact car: Caliber SRT-4 (300 HP)
Sports car: Crossfire SRT-6 (330 HP) - available as a coupe or convertible
Luxury Sedan: 300C SRT-8 (425 HP)
Sports Sedan: Charger SRT-8 (425 HP)
Station Wagon: Magnum SRT-8 (425 HP)
SUV: Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (420 HP)
Pickup Truck: Ram SRT-10 (510 HP) - available in two or four door
Exotic: Viper SRT-10 (510 HP) - available as a coupe or convertible

No other manufacturer on this planet can boast of dedicated performance vehicles across such a broad spectrum. NONE. So what does that have to do with the Viper platform? Well, if I were a bettin' man I would say that DC, Dodge, and SRT have probably heard of the Z06 by now. They may even know the specs on it at this point. And any company that builds a station wagon with 425 horsepower (which would have seemed ludicrous in even the muscle car era of the late '60's/early '70's) probably has goals for its halo vehicle.

Was it "right" to call the Viper an SRT-10? Don't know and really don't care. What I want is a great looking car with plenty of horsepower and outright performance credentials. While I wish I had posters of SRT-10's in Le Mans, etc., I know for a fact that the SRT-10 has improved performance in every category. While not as gut-wrenching as my previous black/silver GTS in the looks department, I enjoy driving it more and it definitely has better performance. If I was never going to drive it and just look at it instead, I would surely go back to a GTS.

But because I do drive my cars (a lot) I will stick with my SRT-10. Do I hope that they will up the factory HP at some point and make it more outrageous in the design department? Who doesn't? But this Viper is incredibly satisfying just as it sits today. And strangely enough, I get just as many comments, compliments, pictures taken, and thumbs ups as I ever did in my GTS. Oh yeah, and one more speeding ticket. :2tu:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I see the new Viper as a more modern lines car and good looking by all rights. Just different enough but still very viper!!

All the bashing is old, even the nice bashing, OLD! :(

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I see the new Viper as a more modern lines car and good looking by all rights. Just different enough but still very viper!!

All the bashing is old, even the nice bashing, OLD! :(

The denial is old too. Both sides bash, and both sides are in denial. One side is in denial that it bashes as well, and constantly plays the victim. Frankly, all this bickering is pointless, but no one seems to want to let up.

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I have no dog in this fight cuz I really love all three Gens, we just race the latest and greatest cuz, well, it's the latest and greatest aint it... ? ;)

But a point of reference here gang on the Corvette comparison, I have read DD's posts with great interest as he is certainly a man of conviction when it comes to his beliefs but in referencing the edgey lines of the Corvette in comparing the SRT10 to the Corvette I think it is important to note the SRT10 was here WAY before the Corvette went edgey... So if anybody did any "copying" it was the general chasin DC not the other way around as some make it sound...

GenIII = 2002
C6 tupperware =2004

And as I wrote in a previous thread, in the few short days I drove my new SRT10 coupe on the street prior to caging it and turning it into a race car I found it was just as embarrassing to get gas, groceries, coffee etc as my previous clown shoe and draws just as much attention... That's not my thing and it embarrasses me but I know a lot of guys/gals dig that, for sure the new coupe has recovered the old clown shoe magic in that arena IMO :2tu:

carry on,

sbw :usa:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I have no dog in this fight cuz I really love all three Gens, we just race the latest and greatest cuz, well, it's the latest and greatest aint it... ? ;)

But a point of reference here gang on the Corvette comparison, I have read DD's posts with great interest as he is certainly a man of conviction when it comes to his beliefs but in referencing the edgey lines of the Corvette in comparing the SRT10 to the Corvette I think it is important to note the SRT10 was here WAY before the Corvette went edgey... So if anybody did any "copying" it was the general chasin DC not the other way around as some make it sound...

GenIII = 2002
C6 tupperware =2004

And as I wrote in a previous thread, in the few short days I drove my new SRT10 coupe on the street prior to caging it and turning it into a race car I found it was just as embarrassing to get gas, groceries, coffee etc as my previous clown shoe and draws just as much attention... That's not my thing and it embarrasses me but I know a lot of guys/gals dig that, for sure the new coupe has recovered the old clown shoe magic in that arena IMO :2tu:

carry on,

sbw :usa:
That sounds real objective. :rolleyes:

Don't disguise your slanted opinions as "I don't have a dog in this fight." Seems like you sold your old dog and got a new one and couldn't wait long enough before bashing your old one. The denials just keeps getting older. :rolleyes:

The clown show looks better than anything DC has come up with since. At least nobody mistakens it for a vette. Yes, it's my opinion, but I don't disguise it as being objective. :p

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with you Warfang. Scotty is a racer and a dang good one at that. He turned the fastest lap at the T1 runoffs and had it not been for a missed shift would have won instead of placing second. (do I have that correct Scotty?) I'm betting he wouldn't care (much anyway) if the Viper looked like it sounds - a UPS truck, as long as it performs.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u know, I proof read what I wrote and I typed it REALLY fast.....used spell check, corrected the errors and it didn't take.

even I admit, that was really bad... :(

Signed,

4th grade edumukashun

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to mention that although i agree there was some ball dropping by DC on the current SRT ( and am therefore going to wait for a new viper instead of buying a current coupe), someone certainly DID THEIR HOMEWORK when they came up with the JEEP SRT8. I just got mine from Woodhouse and all I have to say is that it is just AWESOME! Looks, power, handling, and braking. One of the best purchases I ever made. The onther interesting thing is that everyone seems to know about this truck. Must have been the commercial???

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I don't have a dog in this fight." Seems like you sold your old dog and got a new one

I guess maybe if I clarify what I meant by that I might not come under further attack?

What I mean by that comment WF was the fact that I really honestly love the styling of all 3 Gen cars! Hard to believe but I swear on my momma's grave I do! :headbang:

I sold the 97 to get a car with ABS (better racecar) and the ACR for an SRT10 Convert and replaced the last years Pole setting and laps record setting SRT10 Convert with a new SRT10 Coupe and traded that car up on a Comp Coupe...

As Chuck said with us it tends to be about performance and within the rule sets we have to work with the SRT's are the cars to have and honestly as technology marches on the "latest and greatest" are usually the best performers and in this case in near stock trim for the kind of racing we do the SRT out performs the GenII cars pure and simple...

Styling is definately a matter of opinion and I would never argue with any of you about which is better looking, I truly dig them all! If I could afford to have a GenII laying in the garage for Sunday drives and Friday night dates I would but all our hot rods are racecars somehow... :smirk: We don't have an SRT10 in the garage either WF, just a 300C & a Duramax, like I said all our hot rods are racecars... :bonker:

Hope that clears up where we're comin from :2tu:

sbw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte