Devildog and others please read.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call them DC,or Chrysler,or Dodge.They either just don't get it or corporate mentality prevents them from saying I,We screwed up and we should change right now.Everyone in the entire world knows what a Viper is.You know the 24 hours of Lemans winner and the car that stood the automotive world on its head with inovative style,performance and thinking.No one gives a rats *** or has a clue what SRT means.We all know it has been a major screw up.Instead of marketing as cousin,little brother or mentor of the Viper they have come up with srt.So we get srt8 instead of 300-V etc.Yep a major marketing screw up.As far as style goes the SRT vipers can't hold a candle to those clown shoes and are still sitting around at dealers as 04 never driven for more than 20 large under MSRP even though they are quicker in a straight line and have superior braking and handling.The SRT viper just doesn't visualy cut it.The charger is just plain FUGLY.Solution:Dump the gen SRT viper as soon as possible and move on to a gen IV VIPER.Dump the SRT name from everything.Promote all high performance models as team Viper designed with a V designation.Go back to european(Italian) styling cues for the Viper not asian and FIRE the people carrying white canes that designed the charger. GTS Bruce

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the same way Bruce. I drove a supercharged 04 and while I was very impressed with the handling and the braking, they don't have that "wow" factor in the looks department. Christ, I stopped at a store and this guy asked me what year my vette was? I don't think anybody out there is questioning how much better the car is compared to the Gen 1 and 2's, but the styling has a lot to be desired in my book. There is a dealer in my area with a 04 still sitting on the showroom floor. Last I looked, it was priced at $62K.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not worthy of a response. I have heard more accurate critiques from my 3 year old.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
GTS Bruce, you know I agree with everything you said. :2tu: I think your "V" designation instead of SRT is a great idea. Unfortunately, DC missed exploiting the full marketing power and halo effect of the most ground breaking car they ever made to date...and Cadillac now has the "V" for their high performance models. I think they should have evolved the RT and GTS design like Porsche did with the 911. Instead design wise they went the opposite direction of the original and made a straight edged car that gets confused with the Vette. Even after 4 years of SRTs I'd venture that if you asked people on the street to draw a VIPER 9.9 out of 10 would draw a GEN I or II! Nuf said! Also, for all the VCA OFFICERS/SRT HQ people....my VIPER is NOT a SRT! :smirk:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Viper is not an SRT for 2 reasons...........It will RUN CIRCLES around an SRT, and does not look like it came off an assembly line after a Corvette. :headbang:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Viper is not an SRT for 2 reasons...........It will RUN CIRCLES around an SRT, and does not look like it came off an assembly line after a Corvette. :headbang:

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call them DC,or Chrysler,or Dodge.They either just don't get it or corporate mentality prevents them from saying I,We screwed up and we should change right now.Everyone in the entire world knows what a Viper is.You know the 24 hours of Lemans winner and the car that stood the automotive world on its head with inovative style,performance and thinking.No one gives a rats *** or has a clue what SRT means.We all know it has been a major screw up.Instead of marketing as cousin,little brother or mentor of the Viper they have come up with srt.So we get srt8 instead of 300-V etc.Yep a major marketing screw up.As far as style goes the SRT vipers can't hold a candle to those clown shoes and are still sitting around at dealers as 04 never driven for more than 20 large under MSRP even though they are quicker in a straight line and have superior braking and handling.The SRT viper just doesn't visualy cut it.The charger is just plain FUGLY.Solution:Dump the gen SRT viper as soon as possible and move on to a gen IV VIPER.Dump the SRT name from everything.Promote all high performance models as team Viper designed with a V designation.Go back to european(Italian) styling cues for the Viper not asian and FIRE the people carrying white canes that designed the charger. GTS Bruce

I agree with everything but the quicker in a straight line thing. I have yet to see anything that shows the srt or srt coupes do a 1/4m any quicker than a genII. They both seem to avg. about 12s no?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I feel the same way Bruce. I drove a supercharged 04 and while I was very impressed with the handling and the braking, they don't have that "wow" factor in the looks department. Christ, I stopped at a store and this guy asked me what year my vette was? I don't think anybody out there is questioning how much better the car is compared to the Gen 1 and 2's, but the styling has a lot to be desired in my book. There is a dealer in my area with a 04 still sitting on the showroom floor. Last I looked, it was priced at $62K.
Funny you should mention that about the '04. I was just reading AutoWeek 2/20 and on pg. 36 there is an ad for the raffle of a NEW '04 SRT-10 with a total of 500 tickets at $150 each = $75K with the proceeds going to a school system sports program. The Dealer is listed as Norris Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge. I guess they figured they would get it off the lot and would make more money taking the tax write off for a charitable contribution. Pretty smart actually!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

I agree with everything but the quicker in a straight line thing. I have yet to see anything that shows the srt or srt coupes do a 1/4m any quicker than a genII. They both seem to avg. about 12s no?

You're right about that! :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about marketing aspect. I'd like to see radical styling return and more HP.

The coupe looks real good but they need to mold the top into the body instead of the cheap way they did it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A bone SRT will beat a bone GenII easily. I've seen it many times.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious....why have a COBRA 03' for a Daily driver in TEXAS when you own a viper...is it just to keep miles off and avoid door dings??????

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Not doubting you, but would like a little more info. OK, maybe I'm doubting you a bit because you say "easily". I've run srt's twice on the street, I got a good car length on 1 and was neck and neck with the other. That's my only experience with them, both from a slight roll... up well into 4th.

The published 1/4m times are usually about 12s flat for both gen's. Ya-ya, I know....magazine's know nothing. Lot's of guy's here have gone into the 11's with a bone stock gen II. How can you say that a gen III will win easily?

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]I agree with everything but the quicker in a straight line thing. I have yet to see anything that shows the srt or srt coupes do a 1/4m any quicker than a genII. They both seem to avg. about 12s no? [/quote

I own both,and I drive them like I stole them,stock vs stock, I can say with out question that the Coupe will out run and out perform the GTS..period.

My Coupe was bought as a complement to my my GTS, not as a replacement,never would I part with my first true love,my 02c

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no clue what a 03' cobra runs, but I did see the SRT charger running pass after pass 13.1 @109. now for me, this is damn impressive for a #4000 pound car on goodyears.

A don't even get me started on calling that car a charger.(although it has more impact than GTO)

As far as the SRT name, it is lost with about 8 cars/trucks with that package name available. On the upside at least DC is making cars with powerful options. For the diehards, the big horsepower number in 87' was a shelby with 175HP 2.2 turbo.....WE HAVE CAME A LONG WAY!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Just curious....why have a COBRA 03' for a Daily driver in TEXAS when you own a viper...is it just to keep miles off and avoid door dings??????

EXACTLY! Also, I like and enjoy the COBRA too. After all it is a SNAKE!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a dealer in my area with a 04 still sitting on the showroom floor. Last I looked, it was priced at $62K.

I think they should have evolved the RT and GTS design like Porsche did with the 911.

Most people could not see themselves in a GEN I II Viper, because it's too ****. That's why we get the reactions from people, that we do. Dodge is in the business to sell as many car as they can, to the masses. The SRT Vipers are just a different kind of bad ***. IMO

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I am genuinely curious: Are you purposefully trying to alienate 1/3 of your fellow Viper owners? Or just the company that built your "true love"? Either way, the logic is difficult to follow.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

I am genuinely curious: Are you purposefully trying to alienate 1/3 of your fellow Viper owners? Or just the company that built your "true love"? Either way, the logic is difficult to follow.

Why do we have two separate Forums? Aren't we ALL SRTs? :confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not doubting you, but would like a little more info. OK, maybe I'm doubting you a bit because you say "easily". I've run srt's twice on the street, I got a good car length on 1 and was neck and neck with the other. That's my only experience with them, both from a slight roll... up well into 4th.

The published 1/4m times are usually about 12s flat for both gen's. Ya-ya, I know....magazine's know nothing. Lot's of guy's here have gone into the 11's with a bone stock gen II. How can you say that a gen III will win easily?

Your car is not bone.

1/4 mile from a dead stop, bone stock-right down to the Michelins, a SRT will beat a Gen II handly. Swap the GenII Michelins for Kumhos and it's an even run.

If you ran from a roll, all bets are off. What gear was the SRT in when you went? How high did he rev before you went? Additionally, your Viper has tubes and filters and I'm betting not Michelins.

And that's just 1/4 crap. Don't even try on a road course.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daily driver '03 COBRA will smoke a SRT-8 Charger and looks a lot better IMHO.

An 03 Mustang SVT would have trouble beating a SRT-4 never mind a SRT-8! Dodge did a great job dialing up the power with 3 Stages available for the SRT-4.

Given a choice between a Mustang or a SRT-8 Charger, I'd pick the Charger easily.

Except the new Shelby Mustang GT500! :D

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris, I understand your point regarding "beating a dead horse" but it is the "dead horse beating" that causes DC to respond. As I recall, back when the Gen III first came out numerous VCA officers swore up, down, sideways, in and out that THERE WILL BE NO COUPE. Either those VCA officers and those "in the know" were liars, totally clueless or outright lied to by SRT, or it was our constant "beating a dead horse" that motivated DC to respond.

We (Viper Owners) constantly asked .... over and over (beating a dead horse) for a coupe. Three years later, they came out with ... guess what ..... a Coupe. Why? Because the customers (the reason DC exists) "beat a dead horse." Marketing 101, listen to your customer. If everyone clapped and congratulated DC and worshipped the Viper convertible and never "beat the dead horse" for the Coupe they probably never would have responded with the Coupe.

The membership "beating the dead horse" is what will bring about the Gen IV. The one that Dan Knott told everybody to start saving their pennies for. I personally like seeing the diversity of opinions on this board and appreciate input by guys like DevilDog and GTS Bruce keeping things balanced. I may not agree with everything that people say but it certainly keeps it interesting and entertaining.

For the record, the latest top 3 "dead horse beating" is:

1. More horsepower.
2. Lighter weight
3. Better styling.

Lets see if our voices were heard when the Gen IV comes out.

Oh yeah, we better create a new sub forum for the Gen IV and not let anyone talk about Gen 1,2 or 3 on it.

Sorry I strayed a little off-topic but it's all interrelated. To get back on topic. We're here to talk about Vipers and not neons, pick up trucks, sedans and station wagons (even if they have SRT badging).

BTW nice cartoon ... PETA will be contacting you. :D