Diablo vs Viper....

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tough choice and purely just that; a choice all based upon preferance. i personally think the viper is better looking and performs better. the only lambo i would even consider (and have been trying to find one for over two yrs now) is a 95 SE30 JOTA version. but even then i would not give up the viper for it. ive always felt the viper is the true total package of automobiles bar none

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diablos are nice but a 1991 is a little hard to keep running if you know what I mean. If something goes wrong, get out the check book.

Pretty uninformed statement. Early model Diablos are one of the easiest Diablos to maintain. If the chain tensioner updates are done, the motor is virtually bullitproof. The early cars dont have any added gizmos to break.

A friend of mine said he had to pull the heads off of a diablo to change the plugs. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

Haha, sounds like your friend needs to have his HEAD examined as that is not the case. It is a simple job.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tough choice and purely just that; a choice all based upon preferance. i personally think the viper is better looking and performs better. the only lambo i would even consider (and have been trying to find one for over two yrs now) is a 95 SE30 JOTA version. but even then i would not give up the viper for it. ive always felt the viper is the true total package of automobiles bar none

Stock for stock, Viper does not perform better, as for looks, inmo, not even close.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Allan:
I was told that they did not come out with power steering on the diablos till the late 90s, like 98 or something. Is that true? I am looking at buying one in a few years and am seriously looking at the 98 Diablo SV. Would I be better off buying an older one? What are the major diffs.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper, there are 2 ways of looking at it. A nice 91 Diablo will run you about 90K, with all updates. Inmo, the cars weakest link is the wheels and brakes, which would have to be changed, as for me, the old 17's look outdated. The early cars also have the high dashpod, which doesnt look the best. I figure for 100K, you can have one totally tricked out, with dash, wheels and brakes. Maybe a little less. The early cars do not have power steering (that came in 94)nor do they have abs. They do not have adjustable suspension, no front jacking system, no distributorless ignition.

In 98, when the Sv came out, they introduced the variable valve timing motor, the large brakes, and of course the ram air. The car has electroniclly adjustable suspension, aswell as the ability to lift the front end. Sv's have 18 inch wheels.They also have distributorless ignition. Barring going from a dead stop, the Sv is the fastest Diablo available in the U.S. You can buy a nice Sv for approx 135-150k. That would be my choice.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock for stock, Viper does not perform better, as for looks, inmo, not even close.

I personally feel the viper looks better and DOES outperform SOME lambo's however the price diffrence should not allow the viper to out perform any of the lambos but it does,and as for the lambos that do outperform the viper its really not by much,not enough to justify the price diffrence anyway.

Also theres no replacement for displacement so the viper will always be able to achive more hp in the end.

but dont get me wrong I do like lambos and I do plan on owning one just never instead of the viper.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock for Stock, Viper will not outperform any Diablo. Simple measure of 0-150mph, Early Diablos been clocked as low as 18.5 sec. lowest ive seen for a Viper is 22.5 . 0-100mph it is close though. From a roll on, the Lambo will win everytime.

As for the price difference, you must factor exclusivity.

But, ive always said, the closest thing to a lambo, in brute force power, is a Viper.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Err Stugots:
It sorta funny that we are sitting here comparing the 2. My dream car when I was young (when it first came out) was the Viper. The reason why the Diablo was never my "dream" car was because I always believed that dreams come true. So that was why I did not venture to dream for a Diablo till now. With that being said, the Viper is the "BEST" under 100k. You can't top a Viper. It is the best looking, draws the most attention, etc...

But we are comparing 2 different cars, the Diablo and a Viper. To me, it is like apples and oranges, the only similarity is that they are both fruits. Same goes for the aforementioned cars. I love both cars and for "shock" factor, there is no comparision, the diablo will win all the time. Just go to a local car show and you will see.

Will I sell my S/C Viper to get a Diablo, hell no! But I will buy a Diablo when I can afford it? Hell Yes!

Allen:
How is the maint. cost on a 98 SV? I know in a couple of years I can buy one cash, but just want to know what the ave maint cost would be. A guess will work just fine.
Thanks

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allan is a good guy. It's nice to have well rounded perspectives on this site. It's an honor in my mind to have a Viper compared to a Lambo.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is a great car. Im going in 2 weeks to Florida to test drive a few and maybe return with one!

As for maintenece on my Diablo, ive done nothing but oil and filter changes for 6 years. Havent even changed the plugs yet, ive been running nitrous for years. My 92 was the same, and as a matter of fact, my 92 was recently on Ebay. I emailed the owners telling them it was my car previously and we discussed its history. They knew i was nto going to buy it. They said it had been completely trouble free for the last 3 years, and that the only issue that came up, was the need to replace a window motor.

As we speak though, my car is in a container on its way to Cali. We are not sure what route we will be taking with it, but we may be Twin Turboing it, or we will bump the compression, port the heads,headers, enlarge the throttle bodies, and more nitrous. At this time, since the motor is out, i will also of course replace the clutch, which is still currently perfect.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As we speak though, my car is in a container on its way to Cali. We are not sure what route we will be taking with it, but we may be Twin Turboing it, or we will bump the compression, port the heads,headers, enlarge the throttle bodies, and more nitrous. At this time, since the motor is out, i will also of course replace the clutch, which is still currently perfect.

You need to stop that container, call Jason Heffner and get some info on his Custom TwinSC Diablo. 410-766-2800, better call him Monday as he will be headed to Florida early this week!
Better yet, head to Florida, talk to him in person, and check out some of his Viper Products, you may never get into a Lambo again!! :p

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally feel the viper looks better and DOES outperform SOME lambo's however the price diffrence should not allow the viper to out perform any of the lambos but it does,and as for the lambos that do outperform the viper its really not by much,not enough to justify the price diffrence anyway.

Also theres no replacement for displacement so the viper will always be able to achive more hp in the end.

Well looks are subjective, no one opinion is right.

As far as $$ per performace, that shouldn't be an issue. Case in point a '02 Z06 and a '02 GTS. The Z06 will run within 95% of a GTS in all areas and in some areas (confort, streetability, ect) it wins and yet cost over $20,000 less. By your logic the Z06 is the better car/better buy, but I'd much rather own the GTS IMO.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't top a Viper. It is the best looking, draws the most attention, etc...

. I love both cars and for "shock" factor, there is no comparision, the diablo will win all the time. Just go to a local car show and you will see.

While the Viper is no doubt a show stopper, in is not is the same league in "shock Value" as a Lamborghini. As a owner I have first hand knowledge, and my biddy with his Venom 600 will agree to this. Hell on my way to work I pass a doube wide trailor with a early red RT/10 parked out front. These early cars can be had in the $20,000 dollar range and are faily easy to own, hell my truck cost $48,000. You don't see many $20,000 Lambos running around

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't top a Viper. It is the best looking, draws the most attention, etc...

. I love both cars and for "shock" factor, there is no comparision, the diablo will win all the time. Just go to a local car show and you will see.

While the Viper is no doubt a show stopper, in is not is the same league in "shock Value" as a Lamborghini. As a owner I have first hand knowledge, and my biddy with his Venom 600 will agree to this. Hell on my way to work I pass a doube wide trailor with a early red RT/10 parked out front. These early cars can be had in the $20,000 dollar range and are faily easy to own, hell my truck cost $48,000. You don't see many $20,000 Lambos running around

Go get a Lamborghini Jalpa they can be had for 25-30 Large or a Lamborghini Espada for about the same. And Lamborghini only made 400 or so Jalpas a great bang for the buck as far as exclusivity goes.

As far as early vipers I looked for about a 6 months and found mine for 30,000. I don't think you will find a clean car for less than that.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diablo is trully another work of art to keep in your collection.

Solution: Twin Turbo the Diablo

Two seat of the pants cars with outrageous styling.

OP
OP
B

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diablo is trully another work of art to keep in your collection.

Solution: Twin Turbo the Diablo

Two seat of the pants cars with outrageous styling.

If I do that than my wife would ask me to move all my belongings into the diablo.... :eek:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Downtown Greenville SC last Friday.....bright yellow Lambo Gallardo pulls out from the Westin, I pull out in the red Viper from Sobys. Remember, SC is not Miami, or LA. Both are truly RARE cars here! It was so close, but there was a Toyota in between us....damn! The locals on the sidewalks were pointing and yelling about the same for both cars. OK, so the people are not like they are in LA or Miami either, but it sure was fun! No racing for me though, the only ticket I have in the last five years was in front of the LEC in Greenville. LEC stands for Law Enforcement Center. Bad idea....

Anyway, to me, nothing gets my blood pumping like the sight of a Lambo. Just so few on the road. In December!

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As far as $$ per performace, that shouldn't be an issue. Case in point a '02 Z06 and a '02 GTS. The Z06 will run within 95% of a GTS in all areas and in some areas (confort, streetability, ect) it wins and yet cost over $20,000 less. By your logic the Z06 is the better car/better buy, but I'd much rather own the GTS IMO.

There goes mopar426 bringing the z06 into the subject, The zo6 is quick, but it's not fast. Go beyond 100 mph and you will laugh at how bad a GTS pulls away from a zo6, I know from experience. Let's stay on the subject, Diablo vs. Viper!

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the diablo, but I would be nervous about tearing it up. Steve(smcbuilders) had one that was "delicate".

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diablos are amazingly rare on the street, and they look like an exotic car, so you'd expect tons of attention. :eek:

But I'm regularly surprised at people's reaction to the Viper. It truly makes you feel like a celebrity. The regular questions are "how fast does it go?", and "how much did it cost?" And most people assume that the Viper costs well over $100K, regardless of great buyer's deals that can be found today. :cool:

You are never going to get that kind of reaction to a Z06 or SVT Cobra, even though they are both great performance car values, and can be made to be VERY fast. :D

One thing that always appealed to me about the Viper is that it offers exotic car styling, acceleration, and handling, but it doesn't cost $4,000 to change the clutch or do a major tune-up. Although if you can afford a Diablo or newer Ferrari, the maintenance costs are proportionately in line with the cost of the car. ;)

I can feel comfortable about driving the Viper several hours to the racetrack, and secure that it will hold up to the extra pressure of racing, and still be fine for the long drive back home. :2tu:

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adam, I bet your glad I talked you into a Diablo over the Countach! The Countach looks dated, where as the Diablo still looks fresh.
Just keep both and if your wife complains, just take here on a fishing trip, in the ocean! :p (just don't let her read this post!)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There goes mopar426 bringing the z06 into the subject, The zo6 is quick, but it's not fast. Go beyond 100 mph and you will laugh at how bad a GTS pulls away from a zo6, I know from experience. Let's stay on the subject, Diablo vs. Viper!

How am I trying to change the subject?? I used the Vette as an example, never said it would beat a Viper, never said it was the better car, Hell I even said I'd take the Viper hands down. :confused:

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price vs. performance argument definitely doesn't hold up everytime... my Supra was faster than my Viper, for less money. Heck, you can make a CRX faster than any car listed above for less money.

In the end, you've got to factor "bling bling" into the equation :) I think the Viper has the best performance/bling/price ratio!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price vs. performance argument definitely doesn't hold up everytime... my Supra was faster than my Viper, for less money. Heck, you can make a CRX faster than any car listed above for less money.

In the end, you've got to factor "bling bling" into the equation :) I think the Viper has the best performance/bling/price ratio!

Stock Supra is faster than a stock Viper?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, stock Supra is definitely not faster :) I was just saying that you could make a Supra much faster for less money than a stock (or modified) Viper. So, in the end, it's not what's faster for cheaper... it's what's faster, with a tad of bling thrown in!

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PRVT JET:Mopar426 is a good guy he just likes to bring up his dream car the Corvette at evey chance he gets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62