Diablo VT question...

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup,
The VT and the Viper are a good match. Up close the VT isn't that impressive (I don't like it's handmade look). The new Diablo 6.0, on the other-hand, would smoke a stock viper. That is one hell of a machine.

-Sean

Reaction score
AviP

BUT. ANd I say Butt. The Ameritech Mclaren F1 only pulls .89 Gs in the 200 ft Slalom. I dont see how it doesnt do better that that.

But hands down, its still my favorite car on, urrr, the road.

Keith

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend has a new 2001 Diablo 6.0 VT, I posted this before a few months ago. We have gone head to head twice, off the line he takes me because he doesnt have traction problems like I do, but its not drastic. The first time I got the jump on him and I wasn't driving super aggressive but I had to shut down just as he was coming on to me. The second time he got the jump on me and again my launch was conservative, but as we were hitting third it seemed as though he was gonna start pulling away (slowly), again I had to shut down because although the road was completely open when we started, we had quickly caught up to an Integra in his lane so I backed off so he could jump into my lane. The cars seem pretty evenly matched even though the numbers and aerodynamics are so different. Mine is a GenI with smooth tubes and intake only, he supposedly has an upgraded exhaust (10,000 bux).

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to add.... I would never, NEVER trade my car for the Diablo. It's a great looking car and has a reputation, almost everyone considers it their dream car, but the funny thing is most people have never seen one up close. The interior leaves much to be desired, not that my GenI has a fantastic interior, but well ya know. If I ever won a Diablo, I would try it out for a month and trade it in for a few vipers. Same thing with the Mclaren F1, up close it loses it's luster, I could trade that for a a set of vipers, one of each color. Local dealer has one for sale $1,500,000, its a used 1995 and needs exhaust mods to be legal in California. Now that I have my favorite car (viper), and my dreams have been shattered, I am looking to drool over the new Saleen S7.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I parked my car next to a diablo today.
the own of the shop that i am considering have paint stripes on my car owns one.. they look nice together.. would be cool to own both...

has motortrend or any other magazine tested both head to head?

the general thought is i would lose 0-60 bummer!!!
frown.gif

still look nice together though

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would probably have 5 Vipers before I would consider a supercar like a Diablo or S7.

One RT/10 for good weather. One GTS for bad weather. One GTS for road racing. One GTS for drag racing. One of the new GTSs when they come out. After I have those 5 Vipers I'll consider Lambo, Ferrari, etc.

2 down, 3 to go.

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my first up close look at one last night. My God!!!!!!! 2001 Silver Diablo VT. I always thought the Viper was the nicest looking car on the planet, but...after seeing one up close I have to say...WOW! Pictures don't do this car justice. My question is, how would the Viper do against that car? It was raining so we couldn't try, but I was just curious how I would've done.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is that off the line you would take it, but it would be pretty close. Top speed, it is so aerodynamic that it starts pulling away from you.

Reaction score
Yeah watch out top end. They redline at 7500RPM. Not that the Viper cant, but Im sure the VT can hook up..

0 to 60 in 4.3 seconds (without smoking the clutch which you DONT what to do on a diablo). 0-100 mph, at 8.2 seconds.

Not bad for a 350cu in (well 366 cu in)

It would be a good race . . .

Now a VTTT? That would be a different story.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock for stock, he'd smoke you in the 0-60. 0-100 would be close and 0-150 you'd smoke him.

And in the twisties, he'd be seeing your taillights all the way.

Too much hype if you ask me.

And if you think a VT is the coolest car on the planet, you've not seen a McLaren yet.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AviP:
Stock for stock, he'd smoke you in the 0-60. 0-100 would be close and 0-150 you'd smoke him.
And in the twisties, he'd be seeing your taillights all the way.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gota be kidding me man
Stock for stock, the viper has no chance in hell.
The new diablo will hit 60 in 3.4 to 3.6 seconds and hit the 1/4 mile in 11.6 to 11.8
by 150mph, the viper would be so far behind, it would not even be funny. and for top speed, the older ones hit 202mph,the newer ones, i am not sure, maybe 206 to 208mph.

dont forget ur paying $200K more then a '01 ACR to buy the new Diablo. plus, tuneups on that car cost about $15-25K.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I would probably have 5 Vipers before I would consider a supercar like a Diablo or S7.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will pay 5 times as much for your Diablo, so that's about right...

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the new 2001 Diablos but I raced a '98 Diablo SV twice. I met this guy at a car show they do every Saturday night here in Tampa. Well anyways we saw him later that night (about 3 a.m.) at Gandy bridge. We ended up catching up to him at a red light. We were the two front cars and the only two cars on the road. So when it turned greed we both got on it as hard as we could, I went through 4 gears (about 130mph.). From the very begining we pulled on him and once we had reached 130 we pulled a total of about 3 car lengths. Once we beat him the first time the guy wanted to try again, so we slowed down to about 20 mph and got on it. The same story, we went through 4 gears and had pulled about 2 1/2 to 3 car lengths. The car looked great, but didn't have enough for us.

There is a 2001 Royal Blue 6.0 Diablo that lives a couple nieghborhoods down that I'd like to try and race. I know those are supposed to be a lot faster than the Viper, but it'd still be fun to try. They are great machines and I wouldn't mind having one some day. But until then I'll stick with my pride and joy.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only remember seeing one car that was special enough to make a U-turn and go back to see. And I have seen some very pretty specimens. It was at the Ferrari dealership on Main Steet in Walnut Creek Calif. This would have been about 1989 or so.
There was a Lambo Diablo (red). It had adjustable front air foils and rear spolier. gawd it was great.
It was the fastest thing I ever saw sitting still !

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only Diablo that would be fast is the 6.0's. I have a video of a 00 viper and a 98 (I think) Diablo.

Diablo 13.2 @ 112
Viper 12.4 @ 114

It appears the Diablo could be fast, but the viper stomped it this time. I heard the new AWD ones are like 11.8 if you launch at 6000 RPM's. Yikes!!!