Did anyone use band clamp's to install Random's High Flow Cat's

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone use band clamp\'s to install Random\'s High Flow Cat\'s

I did a search and wanted more info for the installation of Random tech's 3" Cat's. Connecting to my Corsa 3" can be clamped but am wondering if anyone had good result's using a band clamp like the (Torca) band clamp's on Corsa's system to fasten the pipe coming from the factory manifold. Here in Windsor, I don't trust too many mechanic's to work on a Viper and I don't want to go out and buy welder just for this...THANK'S.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Did anyone use band clamp\'s to install Random\'s High Flow Cat\'s

Peter,
I just got done with this install other than the problems I am still having with a leaking cat. You will need to weld this joint as the gap is pretty big. It is actually pretty easy to have done. I went to Midas and the guy there had no trouble welding around it. There is a hole in the frame for the header pipe which makes access pretty easy to the rear side. It would be much easier for them to remove the piece but that will require two trips, one to tack weld it prior to removal to preserve the orientation and one to complete the weld. The guy I had at Midas was able to weld completely around the adapter too which is much harder without it removed. When I had to remove the assembly due to the cat leaking under the heat shield I was able to see that the weld was completely around.
Cost was 76$ for the 4 welds and 1/2 case of beer (on the second trip) to repair the incomplete factory weld under the heat shield in the Random Tech cat. Now it is leaking at the crimped seam so I am going to have to remove the whole setup again. I am rigging a pressure test device so I can throughly test it before installing it. I am thinking about buying or renting a welder so I can weld and test it without all these trips......
P.S. After the weld, be sure to listen and feel around the cats to check for leaks. I would not have noticed it but the guy at Midas easily picked up the leak in the cat. There should be no sound coming from the cat.

Here is a photo complements of Davis Wilks who helped me a lot with my installation:
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
G

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. Just one more question. When you take off the flex pipe and elbow to weld the Random cat do you have to completely unbolt the factory header's from the manifold or does the flex pipe attach with a flange, hope it's easier than that, seems like a pain in the a$$ for high flow cat's, my goal is to make my 3" Corsa's sound better than they are now without having to put aftermarket header's on.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To complicate things, I had a shop install the RT cats and Corsa system and they clamped the whole thing. Of course teh Corsa system is designed to be clamped, but the shop (which works on high end cars) was very confident in clamping the RT cats to the factory pipe...

Was I taken for a ride? How do I check for leaks?

Tomer
96 RT

OP
OP
G

GENIIGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

tomer, do you have any problem's with exhaust leaking from clamping the cat's as of now or did everything seal up good for you? THANK'S.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done this successfully or is welding the best alternative?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The band clamps did not work for me, had to weld both sides... I took the sills off myself, and drove it to the exhaust shop... I watched their every move... A local Midas... To be honest. I was impressed. The guy was a good welder, and the job came out nice...
I know many people on this site, have had good luck with the band clamps. I did not... Leaked BIG TIME....

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Band clamps and muffler tape to seal the joint for me, haven't had a problem with it. you really gotta torque those clamps down...don't be shy. :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my cats are welded but i have used band clamps withgood results in the past on different vehicles.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used band clamps but the joints leaked eventually. I've torqued them to the point where I snapped the bolt off so they were tight as can be. I'm welding the joints this weekend and I highly recommend welding them if you can. I usually have my local welder do these little bits of welding for me fairly cheap if not free sometimes.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used band clamps but the joints leaked eventually. I've torqued them to the point where I snapped the bolt off so they were tight as can be...

Same here. I now use Accuseal clamps-same type as are on the front of the resonator and just further back from there, the muffler inlet pipe connection from the factory. A local distributor sells them to me for about $7 each :) easy to find online.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Accuseals worked great, I had them with my Borla setup a while ago. I think the issue is with the width of the RT cat inlet/outlets. They're slightly more than 3" and don't fit snugly with 3" pipe (at least on my setup). The clamps aren't able to close that little bit of gap enough to prevent leakage. I guess one could also try to stretch the 3" pipe a little to create a snug fit with the RT pipes. I also cut 1" slits around the inlet/outlet of the RT's to help the pipe seal a little better but it didn't appear to help at all. Only has been an issue for my with my RT cats but I decided to weld them and be done with it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This one time, at band clamp...

I don't have cats but used clamps and muffler glue. Works great.

Band clamps and muffler tape to seal the joint for me, haven't had a problem with it. you really gotta torque those clamps down...don't be shy. :)

Muffler tape?

Muffler glue?

Give me a short class in what that is and how you use it...

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tape and the glue might work on the muffler part but right next to the CAT the temperature is so high that most would melt.

I tried searching for the tape and glue solutions on google but most reports seems to point towards not working on the CATS.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Muffler tape?

Muffler glue?

Give me a short class in what that is and how you use it...

Both Kelly and I used the same band clamps and muffler tape (available at your local auto parts store). Tape the joints first and then clamp over the tape.

Kinda smelly for awhile but in service for two+ years without a leak.

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ended up clamping my cats to the header flex-pipe. My set up was a bit different, had the Belanger cat back and high flow cats... coming off the cats is 3" pipe, but the kit included a 2.5" reducer pipe which was the same diameter as the flex pipe. I read someone recommend the band clamps from Napa (think they're made by the same manufacturer as the Torqx clamps the Belanger kit came with. Also folded up some tin foil to line the inside of the clamps, heard that helps make a good seal when you torque the clamps (did it to about 55lbs each nut). Anyway, no leaks or CEL and everything works great.

I was going to get them welded, but the one shop I tried, the guy said flat out that he wouldn't do it. I guess it happens to be a federal offence to cut out working OEM cats... 25k fine for a shop that gets caught. Anyway, planning on getting Belanger headers in the not too distant future anyway, clamps were only just to hold me over until then.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about welding mine. They do leak. Problem is, I've had one of the cats fail, so I was really glad that it wasn't welded. Been six months with a new cat and haven't had any problems yet, but I'm still hesitant to weld them up. Would be such a huge pain in the butt to take them off after they've been welded.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use V-Band clamps. They have to be welded, but it's the best method. They allow for easy removal and replacement. They are the same clamps used on the factory Header. Look in my gallery for pic's.