difference 2002-2008

vstol

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about selling my 64 Corvette Grand Sport R and buying a Viper. Would like to locate a reference that lays out the differences between the models 2002 -2008. I am only interested in the coupe. Thanks

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tough crowd today. Since you only want a coupe, you can easily narrow down the years you're looking at. If you want the old (curvy) body style, then the 2002 is your choice. It was the last year of the Gen2. 2003-2005 was verts only, so you can eliminate those. 2006 brought the first coupe in the new body style. No Vipers made in 2007, and for 2008 there were some minor changes made - the most obvious being a new hood style.

The Viper Buyer's Guide (previously mentioned) is a great start but will only get you through 2004? Viper Buyers Guide

So there you have it. 2002 for the Gen2 body style, 2006 for the Gen3, or 2008 for Gen4.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was no coupe from 03-05. 03 was the power jump to 500hp. the coupe came back in 06. then the new 600hp engine came in 08. as well as the t-6060 transmission.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have been tougher. Honestly, it is getting very annoying seeing "enthusiasts" come on and waste everyones time. I have only seen one poster in the last six months that had any clear indication of what the cars were about and a genuine interest. I looked on the website for at least a year, learning about everything I could.

Instead, we get these guys who come on and have a "feed me like a baby bird" mentality. The members are not your mother or father. If you are interested, there is a wealth of information. Perhaps more so on this website than almost any other car enthusiast website.

By doing this, they do not respect all of the people who posted so that the information could be found later. I guess the new guys are too busy or their time too valuable to actually do something for themselves. They certainly feel ok with wasting others time, however. Rant over.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the new guys are too busy or their time too valuable to actually do something for themselves. They certainly feel ok with wasting others time, however. Rant over.

Your time that was wasted was how long it took you to read his post. Four sentences, including the "Thanks" at the end. Elapsed time, approximately six seconds.

When you're out in the world do you respond to every conversation you hear or do you only chime in on the ones that interest you? Do the same here.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see how you feel after you read a few hundred of these. Seeing that you have been around for about 1.5 years, come back after some more time goes by. You will get my drift.

PS....You never answered his question, Mr. Helpful. Go right ahead and render your help. Also, he did not even post the question in the right place. Shows the amount of thought he put into it.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pointed him to one of the best Viper references out there that will answer his questions MUCH better than I can.

You also do not want to forget about the 2001. The 2001 and 2002 are the best two years the Viper was made IMHO. You get ABS brakes and the Gen II curvy body style which is my favorite. They also came in my two favorite colors, Sapphire/Silver and Graphite/Silver.

If I was going to buy a newer one I would go with one of the later Gen IV's with the 600hp and cam in cam technology. again, refer to buyers guide for more details.

You will probably get information more biased towards the Gen III and IV's since thei sis the SRT section. You may want to post this in the GenII section as well to get everyones views.

You can also go to the Viper Registry on this site for color and production numbers etc...

International Viper Registry

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about selling my 64 Corvette Grand Sport R and buying a Viper. Would like to locate a reference that lays out the differences between the models 2002 -2008. I am only interested in the coupe. Thanks

He was asking for a reference like a buyers guide or manual, not for members to inform him.

OP
OP
V

vstol

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Parent Law you just wasted everyone elses time by not answering the simple question. Since it was 2002 and above forum looked like the right place for me. Second, I spent a lot of time searching the forum before the post and I only asked if there was one reference publication. For you others many thanks and if and I wasted your time I apoligize. Agentf1 thanks for the response that was what I was looking for. Short, to the point responses are great.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be 2003 and above, but I won't be technical about it. If you say you searched, then I will take your word for it. Thanking those who helped also goes a long way. Almost everyone who posts on here just drops the bomb and runs.

You appear to be different. I am keeping my eye on you. :D No hard feelings.

SAM KINISON IN BACK TO SCHOOL - Bing Videos

OP
OP
V

vstol

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks and no hard feelings. Been around the block a time or two, no intent to waste anyones time.

V

Venomiss

This came from someone else who copied it off someone before that.
Figured this might be helpful for these years covered for you.

Here are some differences :

03 and 04 came with factory 7/70 powertrain warranty
04's possible cam bolt torque problem is built prior to 01/31/04
04's had a different oil pressure and temp gauge
05's had a different factory head unit
05's and up have a slightly diff. valve cover. vent tubes at the front
04's and up came with trunk mat
03's and 04's factory oil fill is 10w-30 while 05's and up 0w-40
no special editions made in 03
2003 have different connecting rod then 04's. they are forged in the 03's and PM in 04. Crank balance is also different
05's have different PCM
crank trigger location moved from the flywheel in 03/04 to side of block in 95.
05's up changed the damper bolt to 3/4" vs the smaller 13mm in 03's and up.
Main bearings changed in 05 to 180 degree mains from 120 in order to address oil starvation issues at rods. this is the reason for the lower oil pressure at idle for the 05 cars
04's up have red calipers
timing cover changed in 05 to incorporate a wire holder for the cam sensor. old covers used a bolt on clip.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the cash, get a 2008 or newer Coupe over an 06. The 08 has a totaly improved engine, trans, diff, etc over the similar looking 06.

If you are into hot rodding the engine, a Gen III 06 would be the better choice because the 08 and it's VVT and VENOM controller are tough to work on. The Gen III is also a heck of a bargain in today's market.

The 2002 GTS is faster than a base C6 Corvette, or any of todays new muscle cars and even exotics and is the most refined version of the original Viper concept car.

You can't wrong with any of your options but should decide based on budget and intended use of the Viper

Good luck in your search.

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
04's possible cam bolt torque problem is built prior to 01/31/04

Does anyone have more info about the above? I found a bunch of info about the crank bolt coming loose, but nothing in regards to a cam bolt. Also, if the above is actually referring to the crank bolt, this appears to be a problem which affected a wide range of years, and not just the '04. That makes me wonder if it really is in reference to a cam bolt? Whichever it turns out to be, what did Dodge change on the post-1/31/04 cars to correct the problem?

Thanks!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as I know, it is the crank bolt, and it only affected some 2004 cars (not 2003, nor 2005-up). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
V

vstol

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my Grand Sport I built and thanks for the info. You have been more than helpful and I have a solid vector to go to get more info. Not to add a chevy to this forum but the question was asked. Cheers

Pictures by vstol - Photobucket

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my Grand Sport I built and thanks for the info. You have been more than helpful and I have a solid vector to go to get more info. Not to add a chevy to this forum but the question was asked. Cheers

Pictures by vstol - Photobucket

People post pics of yellow Vipers all the time, so your Vette isn't the first V8 to grace the VCA :D Its a beautiful car! I'm not much of a Vette person, but you certainly have a great looking car! Hope you enjoy the search for your soon-to-be Viper :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang