Diffuser and splitter build pics

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, you didn''t understand my point.
I'm just pointing out that there is a lot more force on the front of a splitter than you think. If you are only going to use some screws and a couple cables then you might have problems holding it on. Yes, your 1/2" thick fiberglass may be strong, but the fascia is less than a 1/4" thick and soft.

Plywood is very popular with racers for many reasons. It is easy to find. It is cheap. It is easy to work with. It is strong for its weight. Its stiff yet forgiving. Did I say cheap?
Also the racetracks love it because it is fully biodegradable and just splinters into small pieces when you run into something; and it doesn't damage the track either.
3/8" is the most popular thickness to make them out of.

The only reason ours didn't work is that it was not mounted as securely as needed to withstand the aero-forces. I just wanted to mention my previous experience to help you. But I guess you are an expert aero parts builder and have all the knowledge and experience needed.

G/L Dave :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Hey dave6666,

At the risk of detouring this thread a bit - are you using PVC pipe for your compressed air lines? Does PVC with a sufficiently high burst rating exist? The ones I've seen in the local hardware store seem inadequate for that use.

Bob

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks more like a garden hose to me but lack of size comparison makes it difficult

there are some expensive new tech setups that use high-strength plastic pipes and fittings though

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is by far the most entertaining, interesting, and educational thread I've read here. I have to tell you that I was more than skeptical at the start of this but HOLY COW!!! The stuff you've fabricated with limited resources is incredible. Nice job. The whole setup looks great so far, I can't wait to see the front splitter when you finish it. I think I would have preferred the slanted blades on the back, but with the option you gave yourself to have changeable blades, I guess you can switch at any time. Again, great work and keep us updated. I can't wait to see what's next. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottlefed... I gotta admit you're a stand up guy. I didn't treat you too well in my comments, but it was the fact that it you said it started coming off, you put it back on, then it flew off on the highway because the screws pulled through. I just found that hilarious. I owe you a steak or some tofu, whatever your fancy.

And the PVC pipe...? Water from the water heater going through a softener filter. Yes, I wash my car in the garage with warm softened water. Don't you?

Back to mounting the splitter to the fascia. These next 2 pics are not the best in the world but they get the point across. The interior of my fascia is an aluminum sheet metal structure - the Roe duct. I am going to use those mounting points, reinforced on the inside with 3/16" aluminum plate.

Also, I'm planning on having at least one more screw per side going through the splitter to the fascia outboard of that array in the center.

Finally, at the front opening of the wheel well I will also have a support that attaches to the fascia screws in the wheel well opening to support the outer most points of the splitter.

Oh yeah, and a couple of snazzy cables too, coming from brackets that at this point I think I'll attach to the lower rebar mounting screws.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looking good, keep up the good work.
please use some cool Ti fastners to compliment your fine work.:2tu:

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome thread! Incredible work! Anything you wind up ever doing for your car, please make threads like this. I am new to the thread, and am sure you have probably talked about it before, but how do you like the GTS Side pipe conversion? I have thought about it and was tempted. I have a 99 GTS. I use to have a 75 stingray and put the ****** header side pipes on it and loved the result. It made it a different car. It looked like there was a spark plug in the end of yours, or do they put an oxygen sensor right at the outlet??? Anyhow, great job!!!

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome thread! Incredible work! Anything you wind up ever doing for your car, please make threads like this. I am new to the thread, and am sure you have probably talked about it before, but how do you like the GTS Side pipe conversion? I have thought about it and was tempted. I have a 99 GTS. I use to have a 75 stingray and put the ****** header side pipes on it and loved the result. It made it a different car. It looked like there was a spark plug in the end of yours, or do they put an oxygen sensor right at the outlet??? Anyhow, great job!!!

"They," in reference to who built and installed the side exhaust, is "me." :D

Now I did buy the Autoform sills which are already molded with the opening, and a Belanger side exhaust system which included some basic pieces to fab it all, so what I get to take credit for is making it all fit well and fabbing the exhaust to the car etc. Which is a lot of work, but I didn't really invent too much. ;)

On the rear is the rear O2 sensor. No sims. No spark plug.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"They," in reference to who built and installed the side exhaust, is "me." :D

Now I did buy the Autoform sills which are already molded with the opening, and a Belanger side exhaust system which included some basic pieces to fab it all, so what I get to take credit for is making it all fit well and fabbing the exhaust to the car etc. Which is a lot of work, but I didn't really invent too much. ;)

On the rear is the rear O2 sensor. No sims. No spark plug.

Wow! So you are a metal working master! I thought that you might had fabbbed in a spark plug to shoot fire out of the exhaust, but didn't know how the side pipe system works. Also was kinda thinking that it was the o2 sensor because of the line. I'll search and see if you have posted any other thread projects. I still need to research splitters and how much it effects driving. I came from the Vette world and I never came across any splitters. I know what they are and their function, but that's about it. Just looks like a good project for down the road. I do also think the cooling holes in the sills is a great idea, and you did it to where it looks good, or "bought".

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! So you are a metal working master! I thought that you might had fabbbed in a spark plug to shoot fire out of the exhaust, but didn't know how the side pipe system works. Also was kinda thinking that it was the o2 sensor because of the line. I'll search and see if you have posted any other thread projects. I still need to research splitters and how much it effects driving. I came from the Vette world and I never came across any splitters. I know what they are and their function, but that's about it. Just looks like a good project for down the road. I do also think the cooling holes in the sills is a great idea, and you did it to where it looks good, or "bought".

PM your VIN to one of the Mods here and at least get upgraded to Viper Owner. Then join the VCA:2tu:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So hows it going with the Front Splitter Dave :eater:

Looking forward to seeing more pics :2tu:

Mark :uk:

Well. Um. I'm finishing up the wheel/tire/brake install by wiring and mounting my TPMS display. Didn't like the wires stuffed along the headliner by the visors so I'm pulling the headliner down to get them up in there good like.

YOU HAVE TO PULL HALF OF THE FREAKING INTERIOR OUT TO GET THE HEADLINER DOWN.

:evilmad:

After this :) little project :) I'll be :) back to :) the splitter.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, thats another job on my list! The interior light switch mounted in the roof lining is loose in my GTS!

So you got any pics on how to fix it :eater:

IM trying to figure it out with a Beer :D

:uk:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, thats another job on my list! The interior light switch mounted in the roof lining is loose in my GTS!

So you got any pics on how to fix it :eater:

IM trying to figure it out with a Beer :D

:uk:

Well, to get the headliner down you must first remove the trim pieces behind your head. They must have been first on, as I had to remove everything from the radio bezel back to the rear hatch trim panel to get them out. From there? The headliner falls right out. No training needed. Couldn't take any pics though because all I did was slide mine back to tape the wires up, and always had one hand holding it.

We had an ice storm last night so I played wussy today and stayed home. Wiring is done short of some snazzy wire clips I've got ordered for the A-pillar.

SPLITTER IS #1 ON MY LIST NOW :D

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in business...

A few notes previously left off.

The rear diffuser weighed in at about 17 pound with the brackets etc.

Also, since there does not appear to be any business conflicts with site sponsoring powder coaters in the Dallas-Fort Worth area a plug for the guys that have been doing my work.

The next step on the front splitter was to remove the front fascia and strip out all of the Roe duct pieces, as well as most of the enhancements I had made to it like the trash screen and the pieces tying it in to the lower front opening.

All of that stuff will be going back in with many additional parts and modifications to some of the old parts but I need to draw some lines and mark some holes for now.

The splitter piece that had been previously cut to fit the chin spoiler was carefully re-fit and clamped so it could be marked for the Roe duct hole as well as all of the existing rivet holes.

The final cut-outs will be where the X's are. I'm leaving the 1" strip near the chin spoiler and the two strips running fore to aft also.

Tomorrow the dust will fly as the carbide grit blade does it's work...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great stuff, Good to see your flying the UK flag in those pics :D

:uk: :2tu:

On another note, How easy is it to take off the Nose of the car, Ive not ever done this, Just wondered whats involved?

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great stuff, Good to see your flying the UK flag in those pics :D

:uk: :2tu:

On another note, How easy is it to take off the Nose of the car, Ive not ever done this, Just wondered whats involved?

I'm guessing a bunch of beer and screwin.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it's 17 screws/bolts (maybe less) between the bottom and sides and 4 plastic clips on the top side. Then just give it a gentle tug, disconnect the harnesses and it should come right off.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On removing the front fascia, yes there are a handful of screws and if your car has never been molested a bunch of xmas tree fasteners into the rebar.

I molested mine. I tapped all of the holes where the xmas tree fasteners were with 5/16-18 threads and used body screws.

Also, watch out for small black plastic shims around the wheel wells and on top of the rebar, and some foam triangles inside the fascia right up where it meets the hood at the top of the wheel well (where the rope is in pic2). The double sided taped holding the foam could be worn out and they will just fall.

Doesn't seem like much work done today but cutting the Roe duct opening in the fiberglass and then finishing all of the cuts from today and previous was about 3 hours work. :crazy2:

Mocked it up with a few screws to hold A and B together and then transferred the fascia line to the splitter.

Next will be to extend that line out for the front edge of the splitter, as well as modifying and fabbing all of the fascia internals.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Here are some pics of the proposed front cut line. Minus some radius's here and there. And thanks for the voting and comments etc in my poll thread on such.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/622872-poll-splitter-profile.html

I did use a hi-res image of an ACR imported into my CAD program to model the points that the inset is. You know the drill. If they made a 2009 GTS ACR I wouldn't be screwing around with my '01. But I have to copy the SRT parts.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sold. That will look great in black, coupled with the diffuser and side splitters. I don't think you'll need the dive planes. That visual you just provided convinced me!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to know what you do in your spare time....other than drink beer and screwin....this stuff looks like work to me and I bow to the professional!