Difuser---sp?

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea what the difuser does under my 06 coupe, when someone asks. In lay terms, what does it do? And did I spell it correctly?
John

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it supposedly should make the car a bit more stable during high speeds. I don't think our diffusers on this cars do much with down force like other cars.

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diffusers work in conjunction with other aerodynamic components of a car to help produce downforce. Because a car displaces air as it moves forward, the air molecules in the rear of the car get disrupted causing a vacuum of low pressure air. To help channel the high speed air flow coming from underneath the car, diffusers redirects the high speed air flow to transition smoothly into the low pressure vacuum in the rear. This encourages a smoother flowing air flow underneath the car and allows better performance from other aerodynamic components such as aerodynamic wings.

The Viper, with enough power to approach 200 mph, needs to have an aero package that can maintain aerodynamic balance and stability throughout the car's considerable speed range. On the hood, louvers keep air pressure buildup from producing front-end lift, and the rear spoiler adds downforce at the back. Under the car flat belly pans fill in the underside of the body and frame at both ends. There's a third narrow central belly pan, which doubles as a shear plate and closes off the driveline tunnel. Where the rear belly pan curves up to meet the bumper cover, there are four long vertical stakes that straighten the airflow under the car. This abbreviated version of race-car flat-bottom aerodynamics ensures that the SRT-10 will stay planted at high speed. The shape of the underbody creates an area of low pressure between the bottom of the car and the racing surface. This ***** the car to road which results in higher cornering speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken