Do 1996 GTS's have less ground clearance than later years?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do 1996 GTS\'s have less ground clearance than later years?

My Dodge dealer said that 1996 GTS's have a lower ride height than later years. Too many complaints caused Dodge to increase the ground clearance.

I've never heard of this and frankly question it.

Any thoughts?

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Do 1996 GTS\'s have less ground clearance than later years?

Ron, we have done track alignments on both of our 1996 GTS Coupes. The first thing that we did in this process was checked the ride height using the special tool that is specified in the manual. In both cases our cars were at the lower limit of the ride height specification in the manual. I also know from reviewing the 1996 parts book that there were apparently different upper spring seats available - apparently used to control initial ride height settings at CAAP. Our Viper Tech (Tom Sessions) ordered a set of what were listed as reduced ride height spring seats - we found that they matched what was on our cars. Interesting...

So in our particular case, our cars (S/N's 527 and 574) are at the low limit of ride height. It is possible that later cars had ride heights more in the center of the spec range and thus have a higher ride height...

I hope that this helps!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: Do 1996 GTS\'s have less ground clearance than later years?

Appreciate JonB's and Henry's comments...Our 1997 GTS, when new and now with 8000 miles on odometer was/is prone to dragging front "lip"...99 ACR has less of a tendency to do this over same small obstacles. P.S....Henry forgot to mention that he's an engineer !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang