Do superchargers make your car run hot?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am curious to see if the chargers make your engine in your car run hotter? If so what so you do to cool the endine off?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the Roe with the 8lb pulley and mine runs cooler. I did install the cooler thermostat at the same time and it's also more difficult to drive the car hard. Have not yet run it in the middle of a Texas summer. :usa:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,

From what I've read in other posts the SC does make the car run hotter. Can't remember why but it's explained in previous posts.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB, Smokin has a Heffner 900 SCI pkg and he says that his Car runs cooler now than when it was stock.

I think your choice in Intercoolers (Size) makes a big difference ..I'd also reccomend while your at it upgrade your stock Radiator .

Cheers

Jeff

S

SUN RA KAT

The only thing that makes my Viper run up to normal temperatures of 195 degrees - it has the Roe 180 degree thermostat - is driving slow. The faster it goes the more air comes through the radiator and it keeps it cool, even when run hard, but drive 25 mph in 2nd or 3rd gear and the temperature gets up to 195 drgrees, then get out of the housing plat and go 35 mph in 3rd or 4th gear and the temperature starts to come down, then get on the interstate highway and go 85 mph in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and the temperature drops back to 180 degrees fairly rapidly. Take it to the road couse (Mid Ohio) and run fairly hard up to 151 mph in 4th gear (6000 rpm) and after 5 laps the temperature is between 180 and 190 degrees.

BTW - I have the stock radiator and no intercooler.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hp is heat, that is not debatable. A certain percentage of that hp shows up in losses and somehow must be dissipated. If you don't use the hp it typically is not an issue if your cooling system is capable, on the other hand, , when you use that hp it has to show up as added heat.

In additional to the higher losses form the increased hp, you will also have additional heating losses due to the power losses across the SC. In short if you want more hp, you have more heat.

This is true for any mods that give you increased hp, it is just exacerbated a bit by the SC.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super Chargers always make my car run hot. But that's because I don't have one and I'm always ******* it in an effort to keep up with you guys :) . Sorry, that wasn't any help.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
S/C will add heat. So would cam and heads. It's the HP that generates heat. Stop pussyfooting around, Adam, and saddle up! :) :headbang:

Get the Roe. Its pretty easy to put on and looks too cool.

I did the standard hillbilly mods. Cut hole in roof on driver side. Cut out front of side sills and replaced with mesh. Air circulates quite a bit better.

With the added air movement the 180 degree t-stat helps ALOT.

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I am asking because I drove a Supercharged car and it looked like the car ran hotter than stock. I'm not talking about the compressed air being hot, I am talking about overall engine temp being hot.

So would a larger radiator really help?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A larger radiator will help. A 180 degree t-stat will only LET your car run cooler. If the ACTUAL temp gets ABOVE 180 it will still be hotter. The key is to let the engine cool better and the 180 deg. t-stat will open up earlier. If you are in stop and go traffic with a blower and you have a 180 t-stat of course the car will still get hot so any means you can think of to get more hot air out of the engine compartment is a good idea. I have the Roe s/c and the 180 deg. t-stat and my hillbilly cooling mods seem to make up for it running hotter at high RMP - it may run cooler especially with the 180 deg. Its soooo nice to see the temp gauge occasionally drop below the center mark.

I can sit in traffic and I can see hot air pouring out of the hole in the hood.

Its not a significant increase and in traffic, since the car is making about the same HP as a stocker its not goingi to get all that much hotter. Its only when you open it up and dont have adequate air flow.

So in short. The engine WILL run hotter at high RMP because its making more hp but when you are making high RMP you, hopefully, will be moving fast so there is more airflow and you can take advantage of the 180 deg. t-stat. In traffic the engine will not make any more HP so it will not get that much hotter.

I may have repeated myself.

I may have repeated myself.

So, Adam, you going with the ROE or Paxton? Id go Roe because there are a ton of people here with install experience. Plus Sean is good with Customer service.

-Keith
(the deptartment of redundancy Department)

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am asking because I drove a Supercharged car and it looked like the car ran hotter than stock. I'm not talking about the compressed air being hot, I am talking about overall engine temp being hot.

So would a larger radiator really help?

A radiator with a larger surface area is going to result in lower coolant temps so yes, definately go with a larger rad. The reason why they run so hot is because of the underhood temps. The engine not only relies on the coolant but also airflow to keep things cool. The supercharger is going to heat up that airflow and without proper ventilation that hot air gets trapped and makes the car run hotter.