Do you get pulled over by the police a lot?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I do not yet have a Viper, I was thinking about this driving my Stealth TT today. In 10 years, I have never been pulled over in the Stealth other than one R.I.D.E. (DUI) spotcheck where everyone was being pulled over during Christmas time.

Just curious, do you get pulled over a lot while driving your Viper? How many times did you actually get fined? Do you get pulled over just so the police can check out your ride? Got any interesting stories?

Thanks in advance for your input,
santo

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on your location mostly, I've heard of Viper owners having the car nearly 10 years and never been stopped. On the other hand I've heard of nearly weekly harrasments by the police on some owners.

Myself in particular, I've only been stopped once (actually I was flagged to pull onto the side of the road while he was ticketing another car). He then proceeded ask me where my front license plate was, which I showed him was in the trunk and had fell off and broke the front license plate bracket. He let me go with a warning. This happened in a small town outside of Dallas with less than 600 population (I was visiting a friend there). Where I usually drive the car, in Dallas, I don't get any grief from the police.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never get harased.My hair turned gray more than a couple of years ago.When they pull up alongside you can see their faces drop and the oh screx it expression.Definately disappointing to them that I am not a 20 or 30 something. GTS Bruce

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been pulled over more times in the viper(s) in the past 4 1/2 years than i have been pulled over in my other vehicles in 12 years. On top of that they usually have written me some kind of b.s. ticket on top of it.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm like GTSBruce,
they see an old fart :D then just shake their head :rolleyes: and crz on by :usa:

Been pulled over twice :( , but they wanted to look at a really cool car(It's RaceYellow :cool: )

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a sprinkling over the years. Sometimes I deserved it (hard to justify 150+). But on several occasions it was clear that the cops were targeting me.

Once, in a rural area I was followed by several cops for over half an hour with many "traps" set to get me. In that 30 mile drive they:
- had an accomplice drive in front of me 5 mph under the speed limit with another car crowding my bumper (an unmarked cop was behind him very coy like)
- The trailing cop turned off, making sure I would see him leave
- The slow car turned off and the car behind began to tail gate me very closely and what do you know a stationary cop with laser appears behind a barn
- several cops came toward me. generally the first would have radar on and a second a mile or so back would be silent.
This went on for 30 miles. Absolutely crazy. Then, when I reached a moderate sized town a cop pulled me over. He spent 1/2 hour holding me and then approached and indicated someone mentione I had been going in excessive speeds but he was going to let me go. What ****. I had not even achieved the speed limit for a looong time. Ugh!

Another time, while out on a rural highway (nowhere near the above location), I was pulled over for doing 71 in a 55 and given the full speed. Just happened to be a holiday when the tickets were doubled. Clearly a case for revenue as 1 mph less would have been a lot less money.

Now just 2 weeks ago as we were returning from dinner on a SUnday evening, I was in traffic driving the speed limit. Traffic started to back up unexpectedly and guess what? A cop came down the middle turn lane toward us with lights flashing and siren on. He then did a u-turn behind me and quickly pulled me over. So what was the cause you say. Seat belt and insurance check. Damn well worth all the energy that took them. Arses!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was practising my braking (no ABS) from 30mph at the stop lights as I usually do when I'm the first at a light. Cop was waiting at the opposite side at the stop lights 2 cars behind. He immediately proceeded to make a U-turn and wait for me come by. Obviously I didn't, made a right and found another way home. But the point is that the Viper is a "cop magnet". Most likely he would have given me a ticket for 1 mph over the speed limit.

And in the past, I used to have regular run-ins with the police in the Boston area. Those basturds really harassed me.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i speed all the time and so obviously i get my share of speeding tickets. i average 2 speeding tickets a year. so since i got my license 23 years ago i have racked up about 46 speeding tickets. i have only had 1 in my viper though. but then of all my cars i own, i drive it the least. for some reason my red camaro is a cop magnet. i have had more than my share of run-ins with the law while driving camaros (dui and drag racing included). i have ditched 1 cop in my viper, 2 in my trucks, 1 in my camaro and 1 on my motorycle. one of the cops i ditched while driving my truck was riding a motorcycle, now that was hairy. i must say if it weren't for my passport radar detector i would get busted for speeding way more often. the passport radar detector has saved me from at least 50+ speeding tickets over the last 15 years that i have been using them (currently on my 4th version of this detector). in fact when i do get a ticket it is usually because i am not using my radar detector, duh. cops around where i live haven't used X-band in 5 years so its all about K and Ka band. i did get hit with a laser 3 weeks ago driving my viper and my passport detected it but by then it would have been to late. fortunately for me i had seen the cop 1st and had already slammed on the brakes so i cruised right by him nice and slow and all legal like. as soon as i got over the hill i lit the afterburner!!! oh, did i mention that i hate cops and speed laws.

take my license and all the jive......... because i can't drive 55 :headbang:

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got a warning once for not having the front plate and got compliment on another. V1 save me more than once.