Do you keep your OEM rims or sell them?

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just put on some new after market rims on my 2002 GTS, debating selling the OEM rims. What do most people do? Is it a good idea to keep them in case I sell the car in the future?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sell 'em. If you sell the car later and the buyer doesn’t like the rims, suggest that he or she buy someone else's car. Or you can get them back on eBay. My underlying opinion is that if you mod your car using technologically and cosmetically sound parts, then you have also modded the standard to which that car sets. All buyers should be aware of the standard that your car is. And they should shop accordingly.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some 96-97 GTS wheels/tires (mich tires with lots of tread) for sale for $2000 shipped! if anyone is interested :)

Jason - 443 904 3601

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sell 'em. If you sell the car later and the buyer doesn’t like the rims, suggest that he or she buy someone else's car. Or you can get them back on eBay. My underlying opinion is that if you mod your car using technologically and cosmetically sound parts, then you have also modded the standard to which that car sets. All buyers should be aware of the standard that your car is. And they should shop accordingly.

Makes sense to me, I was thinking the same thing. The new wheels are definitely an upgrade in both looks and performance in my opinion so most buyers would be happy to have them. Not that I ever intend to get rid of the car, but ya never know :cool:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Viper wheels arent all that rare. 92-95 are all the same design. 96 GTS/97 RT/10s same design until 99'. 99-02 same design. Only ACR wheels or 96 RT/10s wheels are rare in my opinion. If you have the space and dont need the $$, I guess I would keep them. But if you dont have the space or could use the $$ to pay for the new wheels, I'd sell them.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, didn't realize there would be much interest in them. I'll post more info when I get home tonight and I can detail their exact condition.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my gen 1 wheels, for as little as they are worth, I kept them and made a cool coffee table out of them. Oval glass cut for the top.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With my gen 1 wheels, for as little as they are worth, I kept them and made a cool coffee table out of them. Oval glass cut for the top.

That reminds me... a good friend's dad used an old rear wheel and tire from his vintage Formula 5000 Surtees to make a great coffee table with. That rear wheel is MUCH wider than an 18x13 Viper wheel... a 13" high coffee table is a bit short. Did you use two wheels for the coffee table Steve?

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are my very amateur pics of the new SSR rims. Not as fancy as the super duper chromes most of you guys put on, but I like the color and the fact that they don't show brake dust... plus they're lighter than the ACR BBS wheels.

You must be registered for see images

Man_Car

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, have you thought about lowering it? I'm getting eibachs done hopefully this week. Can't wait.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lowering hasn't been on the top of my mod list... but I have considered it. Can you post pics and some details of the work when you get it done? I'd be interested in seeing how it looks afterwards. What size wheels do you have?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are my very amateur pics of the new SSR rims. Not as fancy as the super duper chromes most of you guys put on, but I like the color and the fact that they don't show brake dust... plus they're lighter than the ACR BBS wheels.

You have good taste, chrome is so played out. Now go buy a good set of coilovers.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn those rims are dirty. Clean them ********, will ya? :D

I would sell your stock wheels, unless you plan on keeping your Viper for a Looong time. Then it would be worth keeping in pristine condition.

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sell em, you'll get at least 1000 for them, and if the buyer complains... just knock the price down by $500 and you'll still be $500 ahead.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the SSR's also and LOVE them. Got them from JonB. I am using Kumho's and planned on a dedicated street and track set. I like the SSR's so much, I think I will get rid of my old HRE's. The only problem with the SSR's are that the centers are plastic and are really tight when cold, and really loose when hot. I basically can't get them off until I've been on the track, then they practically fall off. Would have been nice if they made them out of the smae material, so expansion would be more predictable. And hell yeah, they are light!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here's a quick photochop lowering it..

Man_Car

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better lowered, thanks 2000_Black_RT/10.

Wigginz, I'll post some pics when it's done. I have the stock 18s.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting. I asked this same question about selling my Gen III stockers when I updated to the 5 spokes- the reaction was the opposite.

Keep them everyone said. So I did.

Even Bill P chimed in stating what a pain it was selling a car w/out its original wheels, everyone wants a stocker when it comes time to buy.

I would keep you wheels if you can and plan to hold onto the car.

Cheers,

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the photoshop work, I like the way it looks... is there a handling improvement when lowering or is it just for looks?

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the photoshop work, I like the way it looks... is there a handling improvement when lowering or is it just for looks?

Unless you go with a proper suspension setup (coilovers or lowering springs with correct shocks) your handling will suffer as well as ride quality. I would advise you not to just slap on a set of springs and call it a day.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically if the spring rate is a change more than 30% then you need to address the dampers. No need to worry about it otherwise, other than having less clearance. You will lower the center of gravity which is good for cornering. You will need to adjust the camber / alignment to the new lower ride height. Vipers are very sensitive to camber because of the wide tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang