Do you think DC will still be making Vipers in ten years ?

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not so sure,(see Prowler) The r&d on a limited production car can't be cost effective,and it seems the Gen 3 hasn't generated the excitement of 1and 2.(not knocking the SRT,might be my next car)
I'm thinking DC could go in a different direction before a Gen 4.........hope not.........

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see your point. You have a VERY valid one. To tell you the truth there is no real sure answer. Only Chrysler knows but my personal opinion will probably say no since it is NOT cost effective. The only way the Viper will stay alive is if they make a radical change to it that makes people want it. Just my .02 cents.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many gen 3 cars did they make and sell so far?? I think the Viper is here to stay, even thought you may think it is not cost effective ;) It's about being #1 and no way will dc want to give that up, especially to Chevy :eek:

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure,(see Prowler) The r&d on a limited production car can't be cost effective,and it seems the Gen 3 hasn't generated the excitement of 1and 2.(not knocking the SRT,might be my next car)
I'm thinking DC could go in a different direction before a Gen 4.........hope not.........

Agree :usa:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You all have very valid points. However in the automotive world the dollar is king. If the Viper can generate showroom traffic as well as be a performance leader than they have just cause to keep making it. One of the original purposes for creating the Viper was not to generate revenue from one model line but to increase showroom traffic where the side effect would be more sales of the higher profit models.

It's nice to say that the Viper is the performance king and is better, faster than the competition but in the end if it doesn't help sell cars it has no use for the business.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Lutz were still there I'd say yes...But I've read here recently that they are not gonna make an SRT coupe..Dont know if its fact or rumor...Thats not a good sign.....

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Prowler was never intended to be a long run car and to keep it going would have required new tooling as existing had runs its course. The plant can now produce more than twice as many Vipers a day (if pushed) and in spite the fact that the SRT is not as bold as the RT/GTS, it will appeal to a wider audience and I think they could sell as many as they can produce. Fixed costs spread over more cars will put a little more profit into DC coffers.

Anything is possible, but my guess is there will be more not less Viper produced down the road.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a club function, one of the members who is in management within the Viper plant said the parent German company kind of looks down on the Viper. Not sophisticated enough or something to that effect. What that attitude might mean for the future-who knows? For my money there's a severe lack of Viper development-at least thru 2002.
Turbo Neons, Viper engined trucks, etc are getting updates and power improvements.
'05 Z06 Vette will be 500hp. Mustangs etc are getting faster. The rest of the field is catching up isn't it?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the success of the C6 Vette will have a lot to do with it. If DC sees that Chevy can make money in the $50-60k price range and still produce in excess 10k plus cars a year, I think we are in for trouble.

The snake serves its purpose well at being THE true exotic American supercar. Ten year is a long time, but with the economy due to rebound one day soon, I feel you will see a bunch more $30=40k buyers (high end Mustang) upgrading to the $50-60k range. Still out of reach for a new snake, but a profitable sweet spot in the automotive industry (luxury SUV et al).

The Prowler was too far out there to be a mainstream success story. Styling is subjective, but the numbers don't lie. My point being... Isn't the new facility designed with scale in the mind? I fear that DC will probably produce a no frills coupe/convertible in the sub-$60k range (10k+ cars) to go head to head with the Vette. They aren't blind to the loyal following of Vette (5000 cars at carlisle).

Let's hope prayer works and they never decide to do that.

Just a hypothetical from a former Vette guy. Long live the Viper! :usa:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy can make money in the $50-60k price range and still produce in excess 10k plus cars a year

WAY WAY in excess!!

2002 Corvette production was 35,767 units
2002 Z06 production was 8,297 units

I'm sure 2003 was as many or more and the C6 won't be far behind once the line gets cranking!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Viper would be here for a long time. Now I am unsure. I tend to think the '04 year will play a huge factor in the Viper production run. It was easy for DC to sell the '03, not so sure about next year.
Then you look at the prowler. IMHO a great Car, not fast, but a great American Car! And the price was very consumer friendly, still that car is no longer in production. Now I tend to think the next 5 years, the Viper will be slowly pushed out of production.
My Honest feelings here, if they don't make a Coupe, then they can stop making them PERIOD! :D

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Casey

COUPE>>>>>COUPE>>>>>>>COUPE>>>>>> PLEASE :D

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a Viper. :D And I will keep the Viper.

For me it is not important whether DC will produce Vipers in 5, 10 or 15 years...

NOBODY can tell you what will be manufactured in 5, 10 or 15 years. Especially in the automotive industry.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If nothing changes to go back to the Viper being curvaceous; hence being different from anything else on the road, an eye catcher, the most powerful, and best performing American car, a known-by-heart car - no, it will not be around for another 5-10 years.

It's unfortunate to say that, but I think DC didn't win with the new SRT design. Not to say it doesn't look attractive, but it's not Viperish enough compared to the first 2 generations. I know it was built with stability and downforce in mind, that's fine, I like that idea. But if they are to try for a Generation 5 (SRT coupe being Gen 4), they need to go back to the Viper's roots.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they keep losing money, DC will spin off the C eventually. Look at some of the other "future" hopefulls they intend to turn the company around with. This new replacement for the Intrepid, Concorde....are they kidding? Looks like a mafia hearse. How about a Neon replacement? Minivans to the rescue? Nope. The Ram truck is the only thing selling and making money. Once the Big Three actually become The American Big Three again, you'll see the company spending more time/money on it. Mercedes AMG will be the top dog until then. 600+ hp in the SL65. ouch.

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
Call me simple - but - if DC can sell as many Vipers as they can make at the price they name, they will continue to produce them as a "halo" vehicle that makes some $. When they can no longer sell what they make or they have to add incentives and start losing money on each one, it'll be "thanks for the memories". If I remember correctly, they had only intended to make and sell them for about 5 years figuring that the niche market would be filled by then.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is it that DC loses on each viper it sells, I remember seeing an an $ amount a long time ago but can't remember what it was?

But it's hard to say whether DC would az the Viper or not, on one hand they are losing money on the Viper and always have as far as I'm aware of, and then on the other hand the Viper stands as America's kickazz exotic muscle car that demolishes foreign exotics that cost a heck of a lot more and are no where near as reliable as the Viper. The Viper brought Dodge/Chrysler basically back to life, and I don't think DC wants to give up the recognition the Viper has in the auto world.

I think it'll be a big mistake for DC not to make a Coupe version of the SRT, I'm just not a vert person, and I think more people would by the SRT if there was Coupe version....but that pry won't happen for years if at all.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well with awesome color choices like white black and red (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) I can see the car continuing to sell out at a premmium price for another 30 years!

What in the he|| is so hard with offering 5 or more colors? IT would make certain colors/combos more rare and maybe instill a little bit more collectibility in the cars 10 years down the road. IT'S JUST PAINT. 3 COLORS *****, who wants a car painted the same color as (probably) 33% of the cars from the same year?

That and they need to deliver them to the d@mn loyal customers.

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper may not be here for the long run, but I do believe DC will always have a presense in upper end sport car market. With the new Ford GT and C6 C'vette coming out I don't see them dropping the Viper anytime soon. If you haven't read the speed test in Motor Trend you need to. The SRT-10 posted some impressive numbers against 200K+ cars. I would be very suprized if we did not see a new Coupe soon after the GT and C6 go into production.