Dodge better pick up the hp.

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live and work around Detroit and have heard it from very reliable sources that in 2007 the corvette will be pumping out 500hp in the Z06. The engine has been tested and in many test corvettes at the Milford proving grounds, with that GM has found some weigh reductions, they plan to produce the car at under 3000 pounds. Also from the other side of the city with Ford, after the GT is stopped being produced in 2006 the Supercharged 500 hp engine is going into the new mustang. Looks like 500 hp is old news what will DCX do?

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of us will just have to supercharge our Vips; the RST is awesome with this upgrade - an indication that DC has some wiggle room if it wants to get creative and boost HP without a large outlay of funds.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live and work around Detroit and have heard it from very reliable sources that in 2007 the corvette will be pumping out 500hp in the Z06. The engine has been tested and in many test corvettes at the Milford proving grounds, with that GM has found some weigh reductions, they plan to produce the car at under 3000 pounds. Also from the other side of the city with Ford, after the GT is stopped being produced in 2006 the Supercharged 500 hp engine is going into the new mustang. Looks like 500 hp is old news what will DCX do? mrviper99

mrviper99, if 500hp is old news 450 is certainly ancient history--right. So what did you do when the bar was raised in 2003...if your screne name is any indication you didn't pop for an SRT-10. Why not? Anyway, things will work themselves out so no need to worry yourself sick about these hp rumors. I doubt many satisfied SRT-10 owners are consumed with hp speculation as there are many hp upgrade options available should more some day not be enough. ;)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of options for naturally aspirated 600+ hp viper engines as well, for around $20,000. More expensive than forced induction, but I think I will keep my snake naturally aspirated.

I guess I'll just have to save my pennies.

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing.... with 500hp becoming more common where does the Viper go next? There are more M/B's with @ 500 hp then there was all cars a few years ago.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live and work around Detroit and have heard it from very reliable sources that in 2007 the corvette will be pumping out 500hp in the Z06. --------- 2007 yeah and my friends aunts moms grandmothers brothers uncles wife is blowing a source of a source at GM :eek: and they said ******** and if they would, don't you think DC would up the hp in the viper,to beat the POS VETTE,2 model years is a ways off Just my .02 :D

Also from the other side of the city with Ford, after the GT is stopped being produced in 2006 the Supercharged 500 hp engine is going into the new mustang.

AND how long has ford been saying that about the mustang getting more hp :rolleyes:

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes they did but this talk took 10years.And from 390 to 500 is a nice jump in hp will the new body and drivetrain hold up?(IN 1 YEAR ON NEW CAR)

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point the bottom is going to fall out like it did in the early 70's. Sure hope I'm wrong on this one.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wait for the Viper hybred. 550+hp from v-10, and an additional 100 hp from battery pulse generator. This is not made up. I used to live in Detroit, and know about these things. Pulse generator will control maximum torque.
;>)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's the first that I've heard of the Pulse Generator idea. :eek:

It would indeed be a cool concept to add another 100HP with an inline electric motor, and it could help a LOT in avoiding a gas guzzler label. :eek:

But frankly I don't see this coming from Dodge or Daimler. Neither of them have hybrid offerings in lower cars, which would be the hook for selling the technology. :p

I could see it in the next NSX, or perhaps even the Lotus Elise (with the Toyota drivetrain), but neither Dodge/Chrysler, nor Mercedes have produced any hybrid cars to set a precedence of seeing this in a Viper.

As far as 550HP goes, this is just not enough to keep up. Many of the current SRT-10 Vipers are already putting out 525-530HP stock, and the last SEMA "carbon" concept car showed a 625HP N/A Viper with minor intake mods, and it weighed 150lbs less as well. :laugh:

The far less expensive C6 Z06 will be a couple hundred lbs lighter than the current SRT-10, AND it will have 500HP+, so it's not an option for the Viper to set still.

I'm expecting to see the upcoming Viper coupe shown in January at the NAIAS show (where the C6 Z06 will be revealed), and I'm guessing that it will be rated at 550HP-575HP, and likely put out something under 600HP. :cool:
I'd love to see more power, but I don't expect to see less than 550HP.

The new supercharged Mustang is still a ways away, but the upcoming Z06 Corvette will absolutely be immediately compared to the SRT-10 Viper (as well as the current European high performance cars) and so the Viper will have no choice, but to stay more powerful, and faster. As it is today. :2tu:

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wait for the Viper hybred. 550+hp from v-10, and an additional 100 hp from battery pulse generator. This is not made up. I used to live in Detroit, and know about these things. Pulse generator will control maximum torque.
;>)
The information that I had, a pulse generator while cruising and then flux capacitor for warp speed travel.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the rumors that Dodge is making a Hemi V-10.

Don't know how true it is, but it certainly would be a killer motor!

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also heard those rumors. I know a guy who knows a guy who has an uncle who runs GM and works for NASA part-time.

The next Z06 is going to be powered by a wood-burning furnace mounted on a small pull-type trailer. The trailer has Z rated run flats and is extremely aerodynamic. It will not affect cornering or braking. GM is planning on making the front wheels much smaller so that the car is always running downhill. The rear wheels will be replaced by larger ones previously produced for Steiger tractors. The Chevy small block will be augmented with a quad turbo flux capacitor. All of these changes will equate to a zero to sixty of around 1.2 seconds. Top speed will be in the neighborhood of 314 miles per hour.

My uncle's old college roomate's mother's Doctor's brother knows a guy who is in charge of developing the new Viper powerplant. I was able to get some highly classified secret documents about that project as well.

The new Viper will be a hybrid. It will be powered by a titan 4 rocket engine, 14 nine volt Duracells, 3 potatos, and a wankel rotary engine. During acceleration the hybrid will produce upwards of 185,000 lbs of thrust. During highway cruising the new Viper will deploy a large canvas sail to take advantage of the wind and will use very little fuel. Dodge will be using carbon fiber and lightweight material sourced from area 51 to lower the weight of the chasis and drive train. Unfortunately the Viper, known alternately as project Asp and Anaconda, will still have a higher curb weight than expected. The new Viper is expected to weigh more than 100 tons, slightly more if fitted with a lunar landing module.

Zero to 60 and top speed will set new standards although braking and handling will unfortunately be more along the lines of the new mustang.

I am sure, just like the earlier poster, that my facts are straight since this comes from reliable sources.

DC

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also heard those rumors. I know a guy who knows a guy who has an uncle who runs GM and works for NASA part-time.

The next Z06 is going to be powered by a wood-burning furnace mounted on a small pull-type trailer. The trailer has Z rated run flats and is extremely aerodynamic. It will not affect cornering or braking. GM is planning on making the front wheels much smaller so that the car is always running downhill. The rear wheels will be replaced by larger ones previously produced for Steiger tractors. The Chevy small block will be augmented with a quad turbo flux capacitor. All of these changes will equate to a zero to sixty of around 1.2 seconds. Top speed will be in the neighborhood of 314 miles per hour.

My uncle's old college roomate's mother's Doctor's brother knows a guy who is in charge of developing the new Viper powerplant. I was able to get some highly classified secret documents about that project as well.

The new Viper will be a hybrid. It will be powered by a titan 4 rocket engine, 14 nine volt Duracells, 3 potatos, and a wankel rotary engine. During acceleration the hybrid will produce upwards of 185,000 lbs of thrust. During highway cruising the new Viper will deploy a large canvas sail to take advantage of the wind and will use very little fuel. Dodge will be using carbon fiber and lightweight material sourced from area 51 to lower the weight of the chasis and drive train. Unfortunately the Viper, known alternately as project Asp and Anaconda, will still have a higher curb weight than expected. The new Viper is expected to weigh more than 100 tons, slightly more if fitted with a lunar landing module.

Zero to 60 and top speed will set new standards although braking and handling will unfortunately be more along the lines of the new mustang.

I am sure, just like the earlier poster, that my facts are straight since this comes from reliable sources.

DC

Thanks for the info Dirk!! You are such a funny man :- (

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Heh, I am 100% with Dirk, because his uncle's old college roomates's mother's doctor's brother who knows a guy that works for Daimler Chrysler used to live down the street from my grandmother's lawn boy, and he had a Toro with the meaneast blower I have ever seen.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the new z06 will be a badass car, it will probably run with the srt10, maybe it will turn better lap times too, who knows, but it will still be a vette.
im waiting for the srt10 coupe, hopefully it have 575-600hp, which is easy to get from the engine even as it sits now

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from my "friends" in Detroit. They asked that I not divulge any information about the pulse generator system, so please forget what I said. The hybrid system turns out to be more of a synergistic system than true hybrid. (The HP figures however are accurate) ;>)

OP
OP
M

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never thought when I placed this message I would get slammed, for speaking the truth. Didn't think fellow viper owners would be that be way. Okay if you wish to know my sources fine. Tried to keep these friends of mine clear of leaking info, but for my fellow viper owners. John Heinricy runs the engine development group at the Milford proving grounds, he's the GM guy. And buy the way if you don't know John he races against Bobby Archer in the speedvision races. As for the Ford knowledge my company does work at the Wixom Assembly plant where the GT is being produced and at the Flat Rock plant where the Mustang is being produced. We have already received orders to provide different tooling to place the supercharged GT engine into the Mustang.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not mean to slam you but this is said all the time by GM and FORD.And wasn't the lightning supose to compete against the RAM and then ford stopped that for 2 more yrs.All i am saying is ford and chevy both have done this talk for years about what they are going to do with hp and falls short or put off.As far as the supercharged engine in the Mustang let me know when and i will buy one and all the stock i can in ford. :rolleyes: With all this said what do you think dodge is doing meanwhile.If you are able to obtain this info do you think they would.In my thoughts when the vette beats the Viper stock vs stock that will be a sad day.When a stock Mustang beats stock viper it to will be a sad day and i would think the end of the vipers. :eek: Just my thoughts

OP
OP
M

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that will be a sad day. However every year we talk to DCX people that belong to Motor City Viper owners club and they say they don't make very much if any money with the Viper. They talk about cutting the program or making the engine a V-8 hemi to make money with the car. The SRT 10 just isn't selling like it should. I personally don't care for the styling. My wife loves her 92 and I love my 96 that is twiked to 575. I would love to see more hp from Dodge but money concerns make me think they won't change much for a while.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as dodge makes the viper i will still be in debt.hahahahahahahaha :D And my garages will be full. :2tu: The only thing good about this is hopefully more HP from all. :2tu: :2tu: And they go back to the HP wars of the muscle car era. :usa:

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Floorin04, start buying the stock.

Not that the Mustang competes with 80k cars, but the power number is dead on fact.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dear Chicken Little:

The sky is not, I repeat NOT falling. I fully expect the Vette and Mustang to get a healthy dose of vitamin hp.

The Vette is a great car and a great bargain. I've owned several of them. However, I don't think that even a 600 hp Vette would put much of a dent in the Viper market. The Vette isn't really a competitor of the SRT-10. Also, to milk much of a hp increase out of the small block Chevy engine is going to take a lot of engineering, and most certainly a significant increase in price. At the current price the Vette is more of a competitor to used Gen I and Gen II Vipers. It stacks up pretty favorably against most Gen I and II.

The Mustang has a loyal following, but I doubt that too many people over the age of 15 would really even consider a 'stang instead of a Viper. It doesn't matter if you put 800 hp in a Mustang, it is still a ****. The Mustang has a great heritage and should have evolved into something like the GT. Instead we got the same handling, ride and look of 1965. Shove a big engine in it and somebody will buy it, but it still isn't a competitor to the Viper.

I think the improvement could help the Gen I and II cars by removing the 'stang and Vette from competing with them.

Dodge won't stand still either. So some guys in Detroit says that Dodge doesn't make much money with the Viper and want to cut it or stick a V8 in it? Those guys are smoking crack. Look at the new Dodge ad campaign. It leads in with what???? That's right, a glimpse of the flagship, the SRT-10. Don't expect DC to let that slip away just because it doesn't generate the most money from individual sales. It will be improved. It will always be the Snake. It will evolve and improve. I expect more hp as well.

However, hp is not everything. If it was then all of the guys driving the 405 or 450 hp older Vipers would have traded up by now.

Finally, at the top of each discussion group appears certain identifying information. This would be the SRT-10 discussion group. I am assuming that SRT-10 owners on here like the styling. I personally think it is one of the most striking cars ever made. The fact that someone who doesn't own one want to tell everyone that he doesn't like the styling doesn't raise my GAF factor much. (That's Give A F___ factor)

The Viper will continue to be world class in styling, power, performance and just plain sexiness.

Call me when you get your 'stang with the big engine shoved in it, I'd love to see it or even drive it. But don't expect me to want to trade.

DC

DC

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Chicken Little:

??????????????? :D

Dodge won't stand still either. So some guys in Detroit says that Dodge doesn't make much money with the Viper and want to cut it or stick a V8 in it? Those guys are smoking crack. Look at the new Dodge ad campaign. It leads in with what???? That's right, a glimpse of the flagship, the SRT-10. Don't expect DC to let that slip away just because it doesn't generate the most money from individual sales. It will be improved. It will always be the Snake. It will evolve and improve. I expect more hp as well.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this just in, in response to the new horsepower wars dodge is answering back with a GREEN MAMBA!

seriously SRT is becoming more and more RICE all the time

get your $hit together

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read something VERY scary.

From Automotive Design & Production magazine: written by CAS

"Detroits supercar showdown continues to simmer, with the Ford GT on the street, Chevy's "Blue Devil" 600hp Corvette waiting in the wings, and the DaimlerChrysler proceeding with its intention to build up to 50 Me-412s. However, signs indicate the heat could be turned way up."

Blah blah about the Ford GR-1.
Blah blah about the Gen 7 Corvette. Bob Lutz wants either a smaller 911 size Vette or a V-10.

THEN at the end (The scary part)

"DCX engineers are looking at a hemi-based V10 for the NEXT Viper, an engine that also could be used in an expansion of the LX platform (300, magnum, charger) as well as a replacement for the V-10 in current full size trucks. The engine could also find it's way into an LX based muscle car currently under investigation at the Pacifica Design Center. Conversely, the current V-10 might continue under the Vipers hood until the model reaches the end of its lifecycle. With sales of the Viper down, DC may decide it's better to use the 6.1 hemi in its performance models, and let the Viper die a natural death later in the decade. Much depends on the demand for the two-seater, the outcome of the muscle car design study, and the prevailing winds coming from Dearborn and Warren."

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a 650 HP hemi based V10 would cool.

I don't know abut the viper dying - I guess it all depends on the DCX design and subsequent derived sales. Let's get that coupe out.