Dodge / Chrysler does not stand by their flagship vehicle buying customers? ...

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all - I have posted about this before. I have a 2006 Viper convertible I take meticulous care of. My family had multiple GM franchises for 40 years that we represented with the utmost in competency and integrity. We were always at the top (in terms of customer satisfaction) in our zone of several states and a couple hundred other dealers. I worked in every area of the dealership throughout the years and know plenty about the automotive business and automobiles in general.

My Viper was worked on by a South FL dealership a few times in which they were 100% proven to be, admitted, and without question, dishonest to me about repairs ... and proved incompetent by not fixing others (all known and undisputed by Chrysler). One particular repair involved cats and o2 sensors and left my car with a mal-aligned exhaust. It was done a few times subsequently (attempted to align, etc) and still is not right to this day. I then "developed" a crack in the sill area (of the rear qtr) just above where the exhaust tip's mal-alignment presents itself (see included pic - about 2" to the left of the door sticker in the photo). Dodge refuses to remedy this in any way. The car is still under full bumper-bumper warranty. They know I have proven my integrity, knowledge ... and have tried to be a reasonable "team player" in the affair. I am either thwarted with bs talk ad naseum ... or just completely ignored.

I took the car back to my original home state of Ohio as I told Dodge I would (hoping to get honest & competent treatment there). And despite Dodge knowing and advising such (as I said I simply refused to take it back to the boobs who lied to me and messed it up in the first place) they declined any and all repair. I had it estimated between $500-$900 to repair, and despite it being money I do not have laying around ... and did nothing on my part to cause, the principle of the issue is even more unacceptable to me. I worked in our warranty and CSI departments for decades and would never have left a customer to hang like this, especially someone who bought our flagship vehicle and has proven loyalty to our brand by doing so. I peeved my 83 year old father for crossing into enemy territory. And yet despite this ... and the fact that I said I wanted to buy an extended warranty policy and keep the beloved car, they will drive me away ... permanently. If I discourage one buyer, it is about 200 times more damaging (in $$) than them paying for a repair their representative dealer botched. 5 people = 1000 times that.

Another promise they made to me was to have a DSM (District Service Manager) meet with me at yet another dealer regarding repairs. I was never given the call I was promised. I even called that 3rd dealer back yet again (after receiving no call) and asked about the DSM's scheduled visit ... and never heard from them again. Is a $500 or so repair really worth all this? Especially when you & yours (meaning Dodge) have been proven to be the ones who are dishonest & incompetent? I am not some "know-nothing putz" spewing out garbage hearsay, I know my stuff ... and my honesty is beyond reproach. I am sick over it, because I wanted to buy a new 2008 or again, keep this 2006 by extending the warranty. But why? And why under these circumstances would ANYONE patronize a company that treats them like they are not worth it?

I do not EVER even touch that part of the sill due to the heat ... and it is not even how I get in, nor out, of the car ... as anyone can see me doing so a thousand times. I am pissed big time ... and anyone would be. The service manager at the dealer in Ohio said it looked like someone jumped on it to break it there. I looked him in the eye and said I will take a friggin lie detector test to prove I sure as hell did not. But how about the smucks at that other Dodge dealership? I know it is not these guys' fault per se (at this dealership, as they did nothing to cause it), but the implication infuriated me. If I pay for this repair ... it is the end of the line for me with Dodge - forever - because it is just not right. And I will be crushed because I love the car. I brag about it and people trust my opinion, big time. I think it is a huge mistake for Dodge to "sell me down the river" on this one. I have asked others here for their opinion. I am running out of time and patience with Dodge. I will fix it and then get rid of it because of this (because it scares me that they do not back up their cars ... even under the bumper-to-bumper ... and let liars & goofs work on them under their representation). If it is a warranty repair (as it should be ... and would have been with our dealership) it should not matter that I will not take it back to that original dealer anyway, as "whomever" will get reimbursed by Dodge.

Hard & fast suggestions / intervention methods are appreciated.
Thanks all for your time. I appreciate it. Ron. [email protected] - 740.403.1178= cellular. I would return the call to save one the dime.

Last edited:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that if someone "jumped" on it like the dealer said, there would be a scuff mark in the paint.....any time anyone even rubs up against mine getting in and out it leaves a mark.
This is all too common with some of Dodge's dealerships, hang in there, there are some good people out here that will surely have an answer for you

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to have my 06 conv. lemon law due to problems with the top they replaced it three times and still leaked. They replaced it with an 08 and still have not settled. I would call the 1 800 number and they would never return the call. I would get an attorney involved hopefully they can get it resolved for you. Pm me if you would like more info about what I had to to.

Joshua

Im in Miami

Billy The Kidd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like they tried removing the quarter. There are hidden bolts under the sill that hold the quarter in. Good luck, hope you can prevail.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the dealer in FL did a poor job, why aren't your pursuing him for the repairs/replacement of the sill? Your post says they were "proven 100%".

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack Powell dodge in Escondido Ca Did worse to my car. They left my viper out in the rain with the windows down and totally flooded the car. They wouldn't do anything to fix it and now the cars interior smells like mold. Here is how it goes with any American exotic car and especially A dodge product. If you truly love the car, as I love mine, you wouldn't even think of it taking back to a dodge dealer. Take it to a local Viper tuner and have them to do the work. For me its worth the extra money out of pocket because the work gets done right the first time. You have to realize that the mechanics working at the dealers are called techs, but they are in fact nothing more than "part changers". If it takes any thought at all they cant handle it. They screwed so many things on my car up I don't even know where to start. The Dodge dealer had my Viper in the shop for 6 weeks to fix a weather strip problem that was a manufacturing flaw in the car. I got the car back and the same thing happened again in a week. I took it to my tuner and he had the problem fixed in an hour. The list goes on forever. If you really love your car you have two options I would consider. First Because its under warranty I would have the car lemon lawed. If you don't want to mess with that take it to a tuner and be done with it. I will be buying and ACR in the future and it will never see a dealership for repairs or even an oil change. The problem is, I love this car too darn much. I just have to have one. Good luck on what ever you decide!

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What dealership in Florida did you take it to reason is that I live in West Palm Beach, Florida

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I lived in Lake Worth, I took my car to a certain Dodge Dealer on Okeechobee Blvd to replace the power steering pump under warranty. When I went to pick up my car, they had put numerous scratches on the front fascia and hood. I made them paint the fascia to make it right, and never went back. If I still lived there, I would only use Doug Levin in Miami for any major service work that I couldn't do myself.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are barking up the wrong tree. That kind of damage was obviously done by a human being, that part did not fail by itself. And absent scuff damage to the sill it would certainly seem to have beeen done by "forcing" that part to move in some manner. Therefore it was probably done by the dealer attempting the repair to the exhaust, as it was an alignment issue it seems obvious some not so smart guys tried to move the panel insteadof the exhaust.
So your only recourse should be continue to deal with Dodge through the regional rep at the ORIGINAL dealership. Taking the car to another dealer in another region seems completely unreasonable and I'm sure the dealer and the regional rep at the new dealer are smart enough to recognize that the damage was done by the other dealer and want no part of the story, therefore Dodge does not either as withouht the regional reps support putting the request through nothing is going to happen.
With your background you should be more than well aware of how stuff like this works, so your comment below is where your ultimate failure to get this accomplished originated.

"I took the car back to my original home state of Ohio as I told Dodge I would (hoping to get honest & competent treatment there). And despite Dodge knowing and advising such (as I said I simply refused to take it back to the boobs who lied to me and messed it up in the first place) they declined any and all repair."

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say have it fix/replaced by a "reputable known viper dealer" and then take them to court. I can almost garrantee you they will settle before going in front of a judge.

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Blue Pilot was that the only time that you had work done by the dealer on Okeechobee. I live in Lake Worth and want to make sure that if I need something under warenty done I should watch out.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to find one of the VERY few good dealerships out there and stick to them like glue. Good dealerships are very hard to come by. Your best bet would probably take the offending people to court(small claims is easier if damage is limited to $5000). Welcome to the world of Chrysler customer service. :(

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper 2006, stay away from Okeechobee and Linton Blvd Dealers, they are terrible at service on Vipers. The Okeechobee dealer also replaced the ring and pinion gears in my Durango under warranty, and they lasted 12000 miles before needing to be replaced again, and those lasted 8000 miles. I am not sure if their service techs even passed high school, as I would not trust them to add washer fluid to the vehicle because it would probably end up in the radiator.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most warranty stuff is bad news. Not just Dodge. One of our memember reports from the vette forums as they constantly complain about the lack of warranty work.

Hit a Deer with the wife's Escape and insurance refused to pay for the failed trans. Charged us $4200 for it. Ford said that they made faulty transmissions and that may have been the cause (they reported it to the ins.). I said, "Great so if the Insurance co. won't pay Ford will." Answer is no, short term warranty ran out 2 months before that. Ford only replaces faulty parts while under warranty or recall. Just because they "have a high failure rate" doesn't mean they HONOR their product.

It's a new world where theGovernement can tax you 50% on you fuel bill and say they're doing if because it's GREEN.

Government and big Corps want all of our money. Get used to it. Just because the market and banks are crashing doesn't mean the losers are going to become honest or fair.

Ted

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all. To address a couple posts:

1) The poster who thought I inferred "they were proven 100%", I may have written it poorly. I meant they were proven 100% to be dishonest ... because they admitted it to me when I had them "dead to right" about another part. They replaced the multi-function lever that controls wipers, signals, etc ... and did not swap over the turn signal relays off the old one. I saved them the embarrassment from sending it back to Dodge with them still attached ... and they repayed me by lying to me and telling me the signals worked on it when I left with the car (which of course, they did not, because there were no relays on it to do so) and they also said that they even checked them. I picked it up after service hours, so I had to come back, yet again. Of course they did not "check them" either ... or they would have realized it. This was uncomfortable but I let them off the hook for it (I still do not know why ... other than just wanting my car back ... fixed. I went back, got the relays, and put them in myself - of course pathetically simply). I then noticed the mal-aligned exhaust and started down that road.

Also, I ONLY went to Ohio because Dodge said that was fine ... and I knew the dealer there not only had Viper-specific techs ... but 2 ... and one was a master Viper tech. I ONLY stopped going to the other dealer when they kept NOT FIXING the exhaust. It was after the last time when I discovered the crack. This was when Dodge was going to have me take it to the dealer that would prove to never call me back. I agree the original dealer should take care of it all ... and I indeed know "how it all works" ... hence why I stopped bothering after so many instances of dishonesty & incompetence. I thought I was wasting my time and jeopardizing my car further. I do not blame this dealer up here in Ohio. But Dodge sent me packing to get rid of me ... and deceived me into thinking I could take it elsewhere. At least they in Ohio looked at it - the other one in Pompano Beach, FL would not even call me back. So. Florida is like night & day in terms of honesty compared to central Ohio. I have lived in both for near 10 years (central Ohio 40+).

LASTLY, there are no (zero) marks on the sill ... indicating anyone stepped on it, etc. I don't know what happened ... and no one will ever admit to jack ... but I know I did not do it ... and I should not have to pay for it.

Does anyone really still think I should try to get them (that original dealer) to fix it? I am scared to death to leave that car with them, for 5 minutes.

And if I do not, who or how will I ever get it fixed?

VIPER 2006

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BLUE PILOT who would you recommend in Palm Beach for any kind of work to be done that is a Dodge dealership.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2006, I had some work done at Jupiter Dodge, they seemed to be ok, but they only had one viper tech there. I moved to Ohio about 2 years ago, and have not used them since. I would recommend Doug Levin in Miami. He is a site sponsor here and has an excellent reputation among members. Take a ride down to his shop, talk to him and I think you will like him.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang