Dodge dealer said 2500 more Viper thats it

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we should plan a regional event that takes place at the Cerebus headquarters. Set up an autocross track in their parking lot, a photoshoot at their front door, and ******* girl parade to close it all out:headbang:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we should plan a regional event that takes place at the Cerebus headquarters. Set up an autocross track in their parking lot, a photoshoot at their front door, and ******* girl parade to close it all out:headbang:

Best idea of the year! I'll make the drive down to attend! Anyone here high up enough on the Chrysler food chain to assist in setting something like that up?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's not forget, the start of this thread was/is pure speculative bs. All we know is that CAAP was noted to be affected sometime over the next 4 years. Period. We were not told anything specifically about 'next year.' We don't know any specific number like 2500 cars. ... that's all nothing but hyperbole.

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not forget, the start of this thread was/is pure speculative bs. All we know is that CAAP was noted to be affected sometime over the next 4 years. Period. We we're told anything specifically about 'next year.' We don't know any specific number like 2500 cars. ... that's all nothing but hyperbole.

I wouldn't even doubt if the dealer really WAS told about this so they'll pass the word down to fencesitters and sell out the inventory FAST. Doesn't mean it's true, however.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge Dealer Told Me Chrysler Told Him 2500 More Vipers And They Are Pulling The Plug.. Do You Think This Is B.s. ?? Now That I Hear They Are Closing Down Conner It Makes Me Wonder.. Well If It Is True Viper Prices Will Rise.

WHO WAS THE DEALER THAT TOLD YOU THAT:rolleyes:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim Press ( formerly head of Toyota in the US ) also mentioned in a previous WSJ article that his former company sold appliances, whereas Chrysler is a compay that understood passion ignites buyers, like the Viper and the Challenger.

But, maybe that's it? Jim Press was hired to bring "Toyota" like success to Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep? Remember he was at Toyota for 35+ years. That would be a "safe bet" for Press, no? And doing so, turning the company into an "appliance" vendor and as such no need for a halo car?

Isn't Cerebus thinking of partnering with Chery of China? That would be an "appliance" relationship, would it not? Isn't that why they grabbed Phil Murtaugh from GM?

Didn't Cerebus grab Deborah Wahl Meyer from Toyota as well? She was the marketing chief for Lexus...

Unless Toyota was about to buy Lamborghini, they remain an 'appliance' maker..hmm

Would you buy a Viper if it was made in China (not just the various bits and pieces already coming from there but the whole car) ?

And I just read that Mr. Press already made a decision to reduce fourth-quarter production by 82,000 units, albeit of 'non-selling' models where there is not much demand. The reference did not say which models were affected, anyone know? So, just how many 08 Vipers are on order? Is it 1000 yet?

-J

EDIT:
Just read this quote by Jim Press:

Press also took a subtle dig at his old employer, Toyota, which is known for its building what some critics call bland -- but reliable -- vehicles. "One thing Chrysler gets is that some customers don't want to drive an appliance," Press said. Chrysler has responded with models such as the **** Dodge Viper and sporty Dodge Challenger sedan, he said. But "there are many customers that want to drive appliances and we have to get better at giving them appliances."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/AUTO01/710150323/1001/BIZ

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill;

I suspect you might be closer to the truth then you think. Saleen Specialty Vehicles (SSV) has also had the doors locked for the past couple of weeks too. Is it possible they are tooling up to handle the the Viper Assembly along with the paint and prep work they are already contracted for?

SSV with the whole Saleen/ASC acquisition by Hanpark is really prepping themselves to be the American niche vehicle builder of choice for the big three. I have seen some Saleen Camero concept pictures as well out there, internally from my Saleen contacts I have kept over the past 25+ years. That would mean they are currently doing projects for all three.

I would suspect the Saleen name and ASC name to change as they are planning on a re-brand the combined entity, I am told. Steve Saleen and ALL family members are now out of the company as of last week. Molly just left the company and she was the last behind Sean and Clint. Steve and Liz left earlier this year after his non-compete came up. Once the S7 finishes production, all Saleen production and parts, etc. will be moving to Michigan and Irvine will be a distant memory.

As a side note, this must have been in the works for quite sometime if real, because there were rumors within Saleen for a few years that they were going to be kicking out a two seater sports car. I had always assumed it would be a new Saleen vehicle. A Viper NEVER even crossed my mind.

Interesting though if this is true as my 1000 Watt light bulb went off in my head when I read your post.

Rick

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe in the past, every time a new Viper model is set for production it goes out to bid both internally and externally. The Connor plant needed to bid just like everyone else to get the job.

This keeps everybody on their toes and gives management several options.

New UAW contract asked management to guarantee all future models would be made in current factories. Think Chrysler only gauranteed that they would do so till the end of current model runs.

Since Viper is such a low volume product, maybe it has an exemption.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet there's people who work at all these place we're discussing that are reading this and giggling to themselves.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill;

I suspect you might be closer to the truth then you think. Saleen Specialty Vehicles (SSV) has also had the doors locked for the past couple of weeks too. Is it possible they are tooling up to handle the the Viper Assembly along with the paint and prep work they are already contracted for?

SSV with the whole Saleen/ASC acquisition by Hanpark is really prepping themselves to be the American niche vehicle builder of choice for the big three. I have seen some Saleen Camero concept pictures as well out there, internally from my Saleen contacts I have kept over the past 25+ years. That would mean they are currently doing projects for all three.

I would suspect the Saleen name and ASC name to change as they are planning on a re-brand the combined entity, I am told. Steve Saleen and ALL family members are now out of the company as of last week. Molly just left the company and she was the last behind Sean and Clint. Steve and Liz left earlier this year after his non-compete came up. Once the S7 finishes production, all Saleen production and parts, etc. will be moving to Michigan and Irvine will be a distant memory.

As a side note, this must have been in the works for quite sometime if real, because there were rumors within Saleen for a few years that they were going to be kicking out a two seater sports car. I had always assumed it would be a new Saleen vehicle. A Viper NEVER even crossed my mind.

Interesting though if this is true as my 1000 Watt light bulb went off in my head when I read your post.

Rick

Sad to hear saleen is not with saleen anymore. Was the deal friendly?

Will the s7 stop production?

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a World presence is more in tune with future movement at Chrysler , the loss of the Viper is almost sancrosant, as it's impact in Marketing is phenomenal --- just ask our European and Japanese members how the Viper is perceived Worldwide. Going forward we have the Hemi name in America , worth billions in advertising cache alone, yet the Viper is a impact word/product everywhere on this Earth.

Here in Europe a Viper is percieved as a cool iconic cartoonish all_boys_dream_came_through american exotics but that does not make people buy one. Those with funds for this sort of car buy 911s, AMGs, M3-5s, wiesmanns etc. Viper does not help selling other Dodge products and matter of fact people don't even associate Viper with dodge. For most people I asked Dodge makes trucks and it's 'kinda weird' they make sports car too (and then they add 'that's why your car sounds like a truck':).

Problem with american brands are 'too much sales shxxx and not enough engineering'. When they are going to build nice AND quality cars they won't need a Viper to sell them. Look at Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, VW - none of them make supercar (I don't think SLR helped Merc sales that much...). But they build good and pretty cars with nice interior.

I'd say sooner Cerberus dispose Viper better for them since it will make chrysler people to turn focus on what they should make living on - regular models they sell in quantities.

An idea of a car like Viper being produced together with other low volume kit cars in one factory (like Saleen as suggested) looks good to me, it will certainly help to scale down the costs and scale up the quality.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Europe a Viper is percieved as a cool iconic cartoonish all_boys_dream_came_through american exotics but that does not make people buy one. Those with funds for this sort of car buy 911s, AMGs, M3-5s, wiesmanns etc. Viper does not help selling other Dodge products and matter of fact people don't even associate Viper with dodge. For most people I asked Dodge makes trucks and it's 'kinda weird' they make sports car too (and then they add 'that's why your car sounds like a truck':).

Problem with american brands are 'too much sales shxxx and not enough engineering'. When they are going to build nice AND quality cars they won't need a Viper to sell them. Look at Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, VW - none of them make supercar (I don't think SLR helped Merc sales that much...). But they build good and pretty cars with nice interior.

I'd say sooner Cerberus dispose Viper better for them since it will make chrysler people to turn focus on what they should make living on - regular models they sell in quantities.

An idea of a car like Viper being produced together with other low volume kit cars in one factory (like Saleen as suggested) looks good to me, it will certainly help to scale down the costs and scale up the quality.
somebody....PLEASE hold me back so I don't tear this eurotrash a new @$$HOLE! :evilmad:

Do you even know what a kit car IS!??? You must think it's condensending because u assume all American muscle is "kit". Low production numbers does NOT make it a kit car. A KIT CAR REQUIRES YOU TO INSTALL MANY PARTS (ENGINE) YOURSELF. Saleen DOES NOT make "kit" car. By your definition, a Ferarri and Lambo are kit cars. :rolleyes:

Let's get something straight... before Chrysler IMPROVED Daimler's incompetance with electronics, Benzes were ranked BELOW Hyundais for quality(probably still are). American cars may not be perfect, but the euroandjapcrap isn't much better. :usa:

So how are you going to say MB doesn't make a supercar and the next breath say the SLR didn't help sales? Do you even know HOW to form a coherant argument? As for BMW-M3, M5, M6, M-ANYTHING... heck, they even make motorcycles! VW makes Bugattis. Toyota is Jonsing to bring back the Supra, and Nissan with their latest Skyline. Get your facts straight. :rolleyes:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I propose a global member and enthusiast conference. To keep costs down we'll use local street corners and link up by iphone. :talk

Here's the proposal:

If you like paddle shifters and I don't... MATCH TIME :mf:

If you want traction control and I don't... MATCH TIME :mf:

If you live in Europe and call the Viper a kit car... UH OH...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going off memory, which is not too good these days, but I believe the S7 had a 4 year run granted by the EPA and then snuck in another 2 year extension somehow with something to do with safety and air bags, etc. once they addressed the EPA concerns. That would be a total of 6 year run. I believe that places it somewhere at a 2008/2009 end of cycle.

As far as Saleen and the hiatus, I have no clue what happened but they also lost Bill Tally, (who went with Steve over to the China/Korean car maker) the lead engineer behind the S7 and ther S7 powertrain.

Saleen did just get fined $750K for EPA issues with their little N2O Focus, now out of production for two years. Apparently some kids hooked up the Nitrous units that came unhooked and blew the cars up. Then daddy's lawyer got involved and there you have it.

BTW Mr. Euro, the only reason you mentioned the cars you have is because they are European. I have nothing against the Euro vehicles and happen to love the Cayenne Turbo my wife uses for daily use but I love my Jeep SRT8 daily driver even more. It is all about preference. I looked at a used SL65 before buying my Viper and the problems in quality, etc. with the SLs along with the extreme overprice, I decided on the new Viper. Sorry but for me the Euros do not do much but then again I am living in America. It is all personal preference, however the sports car is making a comeback and all those companies you mentioned ARE actively developing a sports car for their brand. Sorry, but your facts are simply wrong and out of date.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That's OK, the Viper was not designed for Europe.

The only real sports car that you mentioned was the Porsche. The M3-5s and AMGs are perceived as poseur cars over here in America -- the kind that you see being driven with chrome 20s by guys who where sunglasses at night or by rich divorcees, but not true driving enthusiasts

My guess is that BMW is going to have some pretty bad financial years now that they will have to deal with a lower valued American dollar -- they were always considered over-priced to begin with, now you can forget it ...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All models go through rumors like this over time. Vettes, Mustangs, Firebirds, it took 35 years for the rumors to become fact for the Camaro and now it will be back in 2009.

I'm not worried. But I really want a 2008 or a CC.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that 2008 Viper production is safe and sound. I think that some of the people that make "chicken little" posts may be too timid to be driving a Viper and, perhaps, should consider a Prius. After all, you never know when the Yellowstone caldera may erupt, or an asteroid may hit, or a mutated bacteria may eat all the oil in the ground. Best to be prepared for those gas shortages. LQ

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, we're just bored, until the delivery of 08's start we are just waiting around, so, talk is cheap...

:)

-J

Reaction score
When Jim Press worked down here for Southeast Toyota (SET), I had the pleasure in working with him. He is a brilliant guy and will do amazing things for Cerberus Capital and Chrysler just like he did for Toyota.
They couldn't have picked a better or more qualified individual to run this company.
I see great things for the company and the continuation of the Dodge Viper.