Dodge preparing supercharged, Convertible Vipers for 2016?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly unlikely,as it would cost MILLIONS in R$D .(the model just doesnt warrant that type of expense for MANY reasons )

OP
OP
C

CRASCH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons why Dodge wouldn't do this and why Dodge would.

They have two choices let the Viper die or invest in it and save their halo car. It isn't inconceivable that they chose to invest in it...

Rumors are all we are going to get because news like this will hurt sales.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is no secret SRT have been playing with a blown V10. Whether it goes further one can only hope. One thing is for sure, if it makes 800hp it is going to make a lot more than 650ft/lb unless peak TQ is nanny managed down for trans warranty reasons. That will give the aftermarket plenty to work with for those that aren't worried about trans life.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish it were different but that kind of HP and TQ would require all other weak links to be totally redone. Not likely for even a halo car that doesn't sell a lot of copies. Hope I'm wrong ;-)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wish Dodge would give some input to its direction that it is going on.

+1...But I wonder how much of Dodge's Fort Knox approach to new info is due to unsold cars etc? How many old/new/non owners that are interested would buy a 2013/2014/2015 Viper regardless of model if they knew a SC Viper was right down the pipeline in 2016?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
+1...But I wonder how much of Dodge's Fort Knox approach to new info is due to unsold cars etc? How many old/new/non owners that are interested would buy a 2013/2014/2015 Viper regardless of model if they knew a SC Viper was right down the pipeline in 2016?

Agree. They are their own worst enemy most of the time, but this one has merit because they dropped the ball SO ******* the last go around in every which way. They need the current cars to sell at all cost.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Few points 1The V-10 in the Viper is a single platform motor single platform application. No American Auto Manu uses a single platform motor in any VECH of this type because its simply not cost effective. The overall cost to supercharge the Viper Motor would be in the stratosphere .OVERALL SALES HISTORY flat out indicates no American Car Manu can possibly get over 100 k for a front engine anything (See Gen 5 Viper and ZR-1 Vette )History states a few hundred sell at near sticker then they ALL tank into sales coupon -rebate heaven . (The research, dev, materials,, tech service involved mandate the above car selling way over 100k .The public will not pay that much for a front engine Ford Chevy or Dodge.I thought SRT would try to stick the Hellcat motor in it but Dodge doesnt even want to pay to do that as that still must be too much money. Iam also told (mag guys )that its a MUST in todays marketplace that an automatic -paddleshift type tranny be offered in such a car (another small fortune to implement )

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS ill never forget in 03 I was at Englishtown with the mag guys testing the Ford GT Prototype .John Coletti (head of Ford SVT) told me firsthand that V-10 in the Viper is going to be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to continue, evolve ect .The beancounters are going to be the end of it because of the single use platform The research and dev cost to evolve cant be shared with anything else.In the FGT he had an almost unlimited budget EXCEPT for the engine which origonated from a shared platform due to the budget.That car stickered -sold at 150-160 and Ford still had to share engine platforms Chevy LEARNED with the new Z06 (from overpricing the ZR-1) not only is it a shared motor platform but they kept it under 100k for a reason

Last edited:

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm calling bologna on this. The photo in the article is from Viperexchange's website. It's called the Viper Medusa, and according to the article on their website, it was built without Dodge's knowledge by Prefix, and can be bought today from Viperexchange.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are ~350 Vipers on Cars.com, only 60 are SRT models. Dodge needs to toss some dealer cash out there to get rid of those GTS models. They are overpriced (still) and aren't helping.

If they could get the price of the GTS down to $80k I think they would all clear out in no time. They need to do something to get the inventory sold, soon.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are ~350 Vipers on Cars.com, only 60 are SRT models. Dodge needs to toss some dealer cash out there to get rid of those GTS models. They are overpriced (still) and aren't helping.

If they could get the price of the GTS down to $80k I think they would all clear out in no time. They need to do something to get the inventory sold, soon.

Agreed. 350 cars is still quite a lot especially factoring in some will be 2 years old soon.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
How many of those are brand new cars though? A lot of them could be cars that suffered the similar fate of Vipers past. Someone sees the new toy, thinks they absolutely have to have one (and have the money to buy ***** nilly), then finds out the car just isn't for them and trades it off for something else. A dealer might still be the one listing it as opposed to an individual, but it's not like it's a 2 year old left over stock. It may be effectively brand new with next to no miles, but it may have already had a previous owner.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many of those are brand new cars though? A lot of them could be cars that suffered the similar fate of Vipers past. Someone sees the new toy, thinks they absolutely have to have one (and have the money to buy ***** nilly), then finds out the car just isn't for them and trades it off for something else. A dealer might still be the one listing it as opposed to an individual, but it's not like it's a 2 year old left over stock. It may be effectively brand new with next to no miles, but it may have already had a previous owner.

That is true. Would be nice to have a breakdown of that left over inventory.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They are all new cars listed. Quite a few 2013's, so yeah a lot of 2yo stock.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe some potential buyers are in a hiatus wanting to see mag reports on the Z06 (due soon )before they decide

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Of which you can already get discounts off sticker for since order banks are wide open.

If you go to the corvette forum there is MUCH talk about how and why the order book is "open" with slots available and possible discounts. Appears that the 8 speed automatic ZO6 has about an 80% take rate, meaning only 20% are being ordered with the 7 speed manual. Initial ZO6's being built are ONLY manual. So the factory now has over capacity since they can build more manuals than are being ordered. This of course gave more slots for orders if you want a manual and dealers possibly giving discounts on them.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
20% is better than I would have thought given what all the marketing people tend to say nowadays. Lots of places are saying that manual cars are only in the 5-10% range, which I find hard to believe. Then again I like them, so I guess I'm the minority.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go to the corvette forum there is MUCH talk about how and why the order book is "open" with slots available and possible discounts. Appears that the 8 speed automatic ZO6 has about an 80% take rate, meaning only 20% are being ordered with the 7 speed manual. Initi ZO6's being built are ONLY manual. So the factory now has over capacity since they can build more manuals than are being ordered. This of course gave more slots for orders if you want a manual and dealers possibly giving discounts on them.
The Auto is so good the cars time is MUCH faster (Iam told the AUTO is 4 tenths plus fasteqr in the quarter even with a PRO driving the stick The auto trannys today are so superior in most super cars you cant even order a man trans (I believe the entire Ferrari line is all auto now)