Dodge Viper vs. Ford GT vs. Chevy Corvette

GTSpec3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Not sure if you guys saw the Edmunds comparison guide online between our one and only against the other 2 American exotics. Check it out and let me know what you guys think~

American Exotics Showdown

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reasons they listed for ranking the Viper 3rd were borderline ridiculous.

The GT may dominate on the track but I find it unlivable on the street, and the alude to that in the audio but don't go into detail. Bottom line is the suspension is so brutal every road bump translates directly to your spine.

The Viper may be a bit sensitive to bumps and definitely has race car suspension, but at least it does jat them into your spine like the GT. Also the GT makes all its horsepower up high and on the SC. It's got no fun in the lower rpm range and no real rush until way further up the powerband.

My impression of the GT is that for the looks of an insane supercar its performance is lackluster, and there's always plenty for sale, at not much of an appreciated value at all. If the GT perfomed as insane as it looks there would be close to none of them for sale, and the ones that were for sale would be selling for a 100% markup.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They lost all credibility when they said the Viper handles like a Neon......They obviously dont know how to steer a car with the throttle....C&D figured it out and it lapped about as fast as the Z06 at VIR..Not bad for a 80k car that handles like a NEON:omg: :rolleyes:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the viper isnt pretty and drives like a neon?! PA-LEASE.

besides, the visibility in the viper is much better than the GT IMO.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Edmunds driver was simply more comfortable in the Vette with it's "traction control and stability control" as he wasn't that adept at driving at the limit. I also found it very funny that they thought the Viper wasn't good-looking car.....obviously they aren't much in touch with everyone else's tastes as everywhere we go, our cars are a knockout and a vette has to be wildly customized to even get a look!!

Well, I only use edmunds.com for valuing cars, and I never believed they were an automotive source for anything other than dealer's list costing, so no big loss. It's like a guy who lives with his mother in a trailer park telling me (if I had it already) that the elevator in my 6500 sq ft home is a little slow.....yes, the source of an opinion does matter.

Regards,
Aaron

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disrespect to the GT but it's a lame duck. It's a beautiful car and I wish Ford had long time plans for it but I have no interest in a lame duck.

So that leaves Viper vs Vette.

My opinion is well documented.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT is really just a production "kit car" (I know...oxymoron). People have been making clones of the original GT40 for years. This is just Ford's version of it. In killing the program early, Ford has relegated it to "collector curio" status rather than a badass racer. Still a nice car, but has no "track cred" as far as I'm concerned.

Can you imagine the insanity if Ford NA'd the engine and ran LeMans again... and WON? Nah... in bolting on an SC proved that Ford never had any intention of the GT being a REAL racecar... just a pretty shell with big bragging numbers and not much else.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT is really just a production "kit car" (I know...oxymoron). People have been making clones of the original GT40 for years. This is just Ford's version of it. In killing the program early, Ford has relegated it to "collector curio" status rather than a badass racer. Still a nice car, but has no "track cred" as far as I'm concerned.

Can you imagine the insanity if Ford NA'd the engine and ran LeMans again... and WON? Nah... in bolting on an SC proved that Ford never had any intention of the GT being a REAL racecar... just a pretty shell with big bragging numbers and not much else.

I dont agree with that kit car statement.....Ford is the original maker of the GT40 so this modern version is a direct decendant of its forebear....Its no more a kit car than the Viper which decended from the Daytona Coupe and Cobra.....A case can be made that the Viper is more the kit car based on its fit and finish then can be made for the Ford GT.....

As for the racing aspect I completely agree...How can they make this car with such a storied heritage and not run it at least once at Le Mans...Just boggles the mind....The attention and accolades it would bring to the Ford Brand by racing at or winning Le Mans far outweights what it mare presents, however brief, has done...Stupid, stupid move by Ford..........Just Imagine a modern day Ford vs Ferrari showdown.....I think even the Europeans would have absolutely loved that scenerio...

At the end of the day the FGT is special and still a great car...would love to see a privateer run one at Le Mans though...

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The GT may dominate on the track but I find it unlivable on the street, and the alude to that in the audio but don't go into detail. Bottom line is the suspension is so brutal every road bump translates directly to your spine.

The Viper may be a bit sensitive to bumps and definitely has race car suspension, but at least it does jat them into your spine like the GT. Also the GT makes all its horsepower up high and on the SC. It's got no fun in the lower rpm range and no real rush until way further up the powerband.

My impression of the GT is that for the looks of an insane supercar its performance is lackluster, and there's always plenty for sale, at not much of an appreciated value at all. If the GT perfomed as insane as it looks there would be close to none of them for sale, and the ones that were for sale would be selling for a 100% markup.

this post is ******** on many levels. You have obviously never driven a GT.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont agree with that kit car statement.....Ford is the original maker of the GT40 so this modern version is a direct decendant of its forebear....Its no more a kit car than the Viper which decended from the Daytona Coupe and Cobra.....A case can be made that the Viper is more the kit car based on its fit and finish then can be made for the Ford GT.....

As for the racing aspect I completely agree...How can they make this car with such a storied heritage and not run it at least once at Le Mans...Just boggles the mind....The attention and accolades it would bring to the Ford Brand by racing at or winning Le Mans far outweights what it mare presents, however brief, has done...Stupid, stupid move by Ford..........Just Imagine a modern day Ford vs Ferrari showdown.....I think even the Europeans would have absolutely loved that scenerio...

At the end of the day the FGT is special and still a great car...would love to see a privateer run one at Le Mans though...
My reference to "kit car" is only because of its short run, unlike the Viper, which although inspired by the daytona/cobra, was not an exact copy. Still takesnothing away from the fgt... I still want one.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It wouldn't even have needed to run LeMans. After the production run Ford should have dropped a NA motor in it, released it as a race car for Speed GT and let the privateers go at it.

F4PHANTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They couldn't spend the money to make an NA based GT. They had to save the money for their latest recall of 3.6M vehicles to fix the cruise control that causes fires. Ford will be out of business within 5 years most likely absorbed by Cerberus.:smirk:

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

OMFG! How old are you? Everything you stated couldn't be further from the truth. I respect personal opinions but for some reason, your opinions do not seem credible. If you have driven a GT for any length of time, there is no way you would say the ride is 'brutal'. If you followed the trend of pricing and availabilty over the last 6-12 months, you would KNOW that availability is down and prices are on the rise. Try finding a Heritage for anywhere close to MSRP! As for lackluster power down low, the Lysholm type blower makes power at ALL rpms, unlike a centrugal blower. Do your homework before you make such ridiculous claims!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OMFG! How old are you? Everything you stated couldn't be further from the truth. I respect personal opinions but for some reason, your opinions do not seem credible. If you have driven a GT for any length of time, there is no way you would say the ride is 'brutal'. If you followed the trend of pricing and availabilty over the last 6-12 months, you would KNOW that availability is down and prices are on the rise. Try finding a Heritage for anywhere close to MSRP! As for lackluster power down low, the Lysholm type blower makes power at ALL rpms, unlike a centrugal blower. Do your homework before you make such ridiculous claims!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

X2 Another I read some **** on the internet and pass it along dude.:crazy2:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i know how to resolve this. jeff, bring me your GT right away so i can put it through some tests. i will bring it back in a week or so, then i will share my results with everyone! :D

BTW - CONGRATS again at the car show yesterday! enjoyed spending the day with you. we all did well - again! :2tu:

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think alot of people miss the point of the GT. I think it was made not only to celebrate the Ford motor company but also to thank automobile enthusiasts. I look at the GT as a work of art and an effort I haven't seen from any other manufacturers. It took alot of effort to produce for such a small run.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also found it very funny that they thought the Viper wasn't good-looking car.....

Well, the coupe just isn't as good looking as the roadster IMHO. (The hard top does not look good, especially so not in red color, and the silver gas cap belongs on a Hummer, not on a pretty sports car).

Which just makes us wonder why they used the Coupe and not a roadster... If it needs to be pretty, then the roadster will score better than the coupe, at least when compared to a Vette... :rolleyes: :usa:

Peter

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: That is BS

I love my vipers,but come on!I even have a 08 on order.The viper is not in no way in the class of the gt.Get a grip guys.
Dude you get a grip your bragging about a frickin Ford??? The GTS is far better looking than the GT and if they made same amount of each make the GTS would easily go for more. :smirk:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to someday own a Ford GT, however I will wait for prices to fall (assuming they will at some point (Just like the 2003 Cobra R's have)). Sure the Vette is a great performance value and therefore should win comparison tests if "Bang for the buck" is a factor.

If value isn't one of the primary criteria, then it likely comes down to personal style and whether its a Roadster or Coupe you can't go wrong with the Viper! With both the Viper and Ford GT you have rarity, style and performance. I prefer the Viper for it's brutal amount of cubic inches and raw-ness (which reminds me of the original Cobra). I've had a supercharged Ford before and it was a great balance of power on demand and fuel economy....but when it comes to supercars....give me today's equivalent of the original Cobra and that's the Viper.

Regards,
Aaron

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have spent the last couple of weekends with jdoc and his FGT at car shows. people love my GTS as much as i do, but that FGT draws a crowd!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZDigital1,

Oh yes it is....the Ford GT comes after I fill out my Viper collection to it's fullest! I have my priorities straight!

Regards,
Aaron

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Vipers I have owned and my current VCA coupe with a Paxton is awesome, but the GT is one of my all time favorite cars! It is very well built and solid and with just a pulley and tune makes 730 plus hp. Saying all that the GT cost is more than double a Viper. When considering cost the Viper is hard to beat! Not to mention the new coupe is beautiful with stripes in any color! I also like the fact that the '03 to '06 Vipers can be modded very easily. I think I will get an '08 or '09 Viper after the bugs are worked out of the new '08. Maybe a vert in a cool new color who knows. Or put the twins on my coupe.

crayne hurst

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dude,

I do have a grip.Alot of viper guys are GT guys,like me.Im not bragging about a ford
ive never owned a ford in my life, untill i got a GT. Then i had to get another.Remember
who brought us our vipers are the same who gave us the K car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery