Does anyone know the paint code for the . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
black exhaust surround on 2003-2008 Vipers? I need some touch up paint to fix a paint chip or two I picked up after a driving school.

Here's a pic of the area in question:

2008_Viper_w_Belanger_Headers_Exhaust_6_11_08_035.JPG

Thanks for your help.

/Rich

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While we're on this topic (and sorry to hi-jack it!), how about the paint code of the 2007/2008 Viper Concept:

You must be registered for see images attach

The black and the grey parts... Is the black the same as the exhaust surround?

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try calling Prefix; they might know the color code for the Mopar Concept Coupe.

On my original question, all of the high temperature paint that I have found is in an aerosol can. I tried spraying some into a plastic cup and then applying with a toothpick but it does not seem to want to stick to the surface of the exhaust surround. (Almost like the paint is too dilute; I did shake the can thoroughly before spraying into the cup.) Does anyone know if someone makes high temp touch up paint in a bottle/brush?

/Rich

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rich,

I have only seen the high-temp paint come in spray form in the hardware/Wal-mart type stores...

If you do decide to spray onto the area, literally tape up the entire side of the car, and if possible cover the roof of the car too. It's unbelievable how far the fine mist of spray paint will travel. Don't spray directly on the area you wish to paint, instead spray with a constant left-right-left-right type motion from about a foot away.

Do not start spraying immediately on the area you wish to target. After you tape up the side of the car with some plastic sheeting, start spraying on the sheeting (left side, for example) until the stream of paint is constant and then move the can towards the area you want to spray and keep moving past it onto the other side (right side sheeting) and then swing it back again over to the right side (all while never taking stopping the stream of paint from the can). You will have to do lots of "passes" over the affected area, and the paint will build up very slowly, but it will apply very well. If you feel the area gets too "wet" with paint, stop and let it dry. Do not get tempted to touch the painted area! If in doubt, let it dry!

Every 30-50 "passes" stop and shake the can again (shake it very well) for about 2 minutes.

Try doing it in a garage (no wind and dust) and take your time. Remember, tape up properly!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just purchased some VHT gloss black caliper paint which is rated to 900 degrees F. I assume this is enough heat protection for the exhaust surround.

/Rich

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,

I have only seen the high-temp paint come in spray form in the hardware/Wal-mart type stores...

If you do decide to spray onto the area, literally tape up the entire side of the car, and if possible cover the roof of the car too. It's unbelievable how far the fine mist of spray paint will travel. Don't spray directly on the area you wish to paint, instead spray with a constant left-right-left-right type motion from about a foot away.

Do not start spraying immediately on the area you wish to target. After you tape up the side of the car with some plastic sheeting, start spraying on the sheeting (left side, for example) until the stream of paint is constant and then move the can towards the area you want to spray and keep moving past it onto the other side (right side sheeting) and then swing it back again over to the right side (all while never taking stopping the stream of paint from the can). You will have to do lots of "passes" over the affected area, and the paint will build up very slowly, but it will apply very well. If you feel the area gets too "wet" with paint, stop and let it dry. Do not get tempted to touch the painted area! If in doubt, let it dry!

Every 30-50 "passes" stop and shake the can again (shake it very well) for about 2 minutes.

Try doing it in a garage (no wind and dust) and take your time. Remember, tape up properly!

Hope this helps!

Good comments for sure, but man, that's a lot of work for a problem that will surely return.

On a related note in regards to the Duplicolor VHT, the louvered sill vents I put on my GTS - right behind the front tire in the wheel well - I had at a local powder shop for quite a while when I finally ran out of patience and just took them back bare aluminum. I mentioned I was just going to rattle can them and they recommended the VHT, even though heat has nothing to do with these parts in the wheel wells. The ceramic in the VHT contributing to durability.

So maybe the $8 spray can stuff will last longer than the OE coating will. :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4