Does anyone REGRET going with Eibachs?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about lowering the car for a while now, and everyone seems to like the Eibachs. I had them on a Mustang that I had years ago, and had no complaints. Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone put them on and went back to stock (or something else) because of problems or whatever. Have there been any horror stories, or is everyone happy with them? My car is basically a street car with minor drag/road use. It's not my daily driver (anymore). Thanks.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't like the eibachs on my car. Slowed me down in the 1/4 mile. It didn't look bad... ride wasn't dramatically better. or worse.

don't forget that you'll need an alignment after _any_ spring change.

JD

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you change to something else or go back to stock?

I'm getting ready to get tires, so i would be getting an alignment anyway....

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not? That's just one of those things I get done anyway. Have I been wasting my money for the 12 years that I have been buying tires?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No complaints personaly, but I could see how they wouldn't be for everyone.
If you don't like a stiffer ride then don't install them. You need to compensate by stiffening your damping so they don't bounce. More race car like feel IMO.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to compensate by stiffening your damping so they don't bounce.
I just paged through the entire suspension section of my service manual and there is nothing in there about adjusting shock damping. Nothing in the tech section either. Anyone have a link to some help on the issue. My car bounces like crazy with the Eibachs on.

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Eibachs on for 5 years. I like the lowered look but find the ride to be rough and bouncy. My butt is less tolerant with age. I think new shocks are in order. Ideas without spending big bucks?

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Eibachs on for 5 years. I like the lowered look but find the ride to be rough and bouncy. My butt is less tolerant with age. I think new shocks are in order. Ideas without spending big bucks?

I agree with John. They look great, but there are major trade-offs.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After having the eibachs in for a week, I took them out and replcaed them with Alden Eagle's. Some don't like the Aldens... I do. Adjustable w/ the turn of a knob. easy stuff.

JD

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to compensate by stiffening your damping so they don't bounce.
I just paged through the entire suspension section of my service manual and there is nothing in there about adjusting shock damping. Nothing in the tech section either. Anyone have a link to some help on the issue. My car bounces like crazy with the Eibachs on.

You need to remove your shocks and then your coils (infact if you look closely at your shocks it actually has the info right on it ex. <+ or ->. You need to call me or PM me. I like my car soooo much better now. No I don't have the cushy ride I have in my daily driver, but I do have a race car like ride in my hotrod. But that's what I want.
BTW my car does not bounce, infact by lowering it, I noticed alot less lift at 165mph plus.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up my viper from DC Performance yesterday. Dan lowered the Viper with Eibachs and I love it. By the way I have seen sets on E bay for around 260 dollars or The Tire Rack for around 280. It looks 200 percent better, but it rides a little stiffer. Dan did adjust my stock stocks per my request after doing my home work on the this Great Discussion board. I will post some pictures later today. Good luck in what ever way you go.

:usa: :2tu: :usa:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car will feel much better.Those springs are progressive rate starting out softer and going 20% stiffer.I think the ride is much better.You definately need to adjust the shocks.I went with 1 and 1/4 turns from full soft in the rear and 1 and 1/2 turns from full soft in the front.Yep alignment too.So how much adjustment did you other guys use in the shocks? GTS Bruce

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
None.. :usa: :2tu:

637R_Lowered_viper-med.JPG

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Eibachs on my GTS over a year with no complaints, holds the road well but can get a littel stiff at times but it looks HOT. I picked them up for $250

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car will feel much better.Those springs are progressive rate starting out softer and going 20% stiffer.I think the ride is much better.You definately need to adjust the shocks.I went with 1 and 1/4 turns from full soft in the rear and 1 and 1/2 turns from full soft in the front.Yep alignment too.So how much adjustment did you other guys use in the shocks? GTS Bruce

Three complete turns is full open or full closed.
My rear shocks I have closed 1 1/2 turns and my fronts are almost right closed. Opened about a 1/4 turn.
It defenatelty rides stiffer, but I prefer it that way.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteThree complete turns is full open or full closed.
My rear shocks I have closed 1 1/2 turns and my fronts are almost right closed. Opened about a 1/4 turn.

[/QUOTE]

1) Do you have to have the shocks compressed all the way to adjust?

2) So you simply rotate the shaft? One way is softer and one way is firmer?

3) This is a compression or rebound adjustment?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you guys get your springs?

and more info on what settings you used on your stock shocks would be appreciated...this is going to be one of my many winter projects...

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

1 Yes, well not all the way. But yes you need to compress them.

2 GEN Is have the 8240 series http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm I think GEN IIs are similar?

3. Rebound.

One thing no one told me: It's a b*tch to do. Worth it but a ***** to do. Also get a good spring compresser.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

1 Yes, well not all the way. But yes you need to compress them.

2 GEN Is have the 8240 series http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm I think GEN IIs are similar?

3. Rebound.

One thing no one told me: It's a b*tch to do. Worth it but a ***** to do. Also get a good spring compresser.

[/QUOTE]

Please explain why it is a ***** to do, I am about to do it, just got springs. Any other tips besides good compressor?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a ***** to do because you have to remove the coil springs to make the adjustment and thats not easy unless you have an awesome spring compressor...