Does anyone with a GTS which they went with an RT-10?

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful Cobra (but I'm partial). I think the B/W Cobras at the most classic, but I chose the R/W based on the price/availablitity at the time. You abviously had a bit more $$ into yours. Here's a few pics of mine.

Attachments

• Cobra Sale Photos 021.jpg
    Cobra Sale Photos 021.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Cobra Sale Photos 014.jpg
    Cobra Sale Photos 014.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9

Rainer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my RT/10 for ANY GTS. Being able to take the top off is a night and day experience in these cars. I've only put my hardtop on maybe 6 or 7 times in 4 years.

Absolutly my words. I drive the car about 10.000 km each year - less than 10% with top on. I love to hear the sound of the corsa exhaust "unfiltered" :D:D.
Start my video with full sound on your computer and listen.
You cant get that feeling in a closed car!
Viper RT10 on a cloased mountain road - Car Videos on StreetFire

Rainer

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Absolutly my words. I drive the car about 10.000 km each year - less than 10% with top on. I love to hear the sound of the corsa exhaust "unfiltered" :D:D.
Start my video with full sound on your computer and listen.
You cant get that feeling in a closed car!
Viper RT10 on a cloased mountain road - Car Videos on StreetFire

Rainer

wow that is exactly what my car looks and sounds like. :2tu:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like them both but the rear end of the GTS is just ridiculously beautiful that's why I had to go with the GTS.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a gorgeous car. The only thing is I really prefer the Gen 2 hood, and I'd like to get something with some modifications already done because I know I won't be able to spend any extra money on exhaust/intake/etc. after I buy the car.

That is a great car, someone will snag that up soon I'm sure!

It actually is a Gen II hood, but the NACA duct and vents were kept smooth thru the 1997 RT run. Even one 1998 RT/10 came out of the factoy with a smoothie by mistake(silver car I think).

I will throw in this exhaust setup I have in the classifieds to sweeten the deal:

ViperAlley Classifieds - Borla Catback, 4 muffler system. - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

goldlifter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone's desires will be different...only you will truly know the better fit. Me personally, I have had two prior GTS's(98 Silver and 96 B/W) and just bought a 2000 RT/10 and find the RT/10 MUCH more enjoyable to drive. Like it was mentioned earlier, it is a whole different experience driving with the top off. That being said, my 96 B/W will always be the coolest looking car i will ever own.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call it a hunch, But I think that HSSSSSS likes Yellow!

Who......me?:headbang:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

mhill1950

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to be in the minority ,but I love my 2001 Red Rt/10 and think that is the "best " look . I fell for that original Viper look and the fact that you can take the top off. You can not go wrong either way ,Rt/10 or GTS . Enjoy the search ,that is a big part of the process . Take your time and you will find the right car for you.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have had several of each....... all-around driver, tracker, Xer, etc....best is GTS, NO DOUBT.

Nice-day tooling around town ONLY? , nothing beats RT

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem tracking the RT/10. :2tu: If I did it for a living then I'd definitely go with a GTS.

2312.jpg

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Though I just got my GTS, I was browsing for 10+ years and shopping for a little over 5. I am a big fan of all Vipers, but for me it had to be the GTS. I got to ride in a Gen I RT10 when it first came out and was less than impressed (no offense guys) with the build quality. I felt the sound of the car was much improved when the Gen II debuted with the rear exit exhaust and I can't stop gawking at the 3/4 rear shot of any GTS.

The GTS just does it for me, but you guys are making me want to add and RT10 to the stable too!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the perfect day you can't beat a vert. SO how many perfect days are there in your area? I think you will see a lot of verts wearing their toupee on the road. GTS Bruce

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have both ...this is my opinion. The GTS looks meaner and draws more attention but the RT is much more fun to drive. I would never use the top on the RT because thats what its for...those nice weather days. On a blisering hot day ill take the GTS so i can stay cooler.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your bald buy the gts if you got full head of hair go with conv.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shanedog , I think deep down, your desire is a GTS . Since you had a vert in the past, I think you'll regret not getting a coupe .Best scenario would be to have them both of course. I had vert cars and coupes over the decades and always favored the coupes.Friend has had a black 95 RT/10 Hennessey for a long time and he always wanted a coupe.;) He now has a 1999 GTS ACR 650R as well. He's selling the coupe now , but the only reason for that is, because he has a 1988 anniversary Countach and a Pantera as well :headbang:.
I have a 96 Mustang GT vert and after a few years I don't bother putting the top down more than maybe a half a dozen times a year.
Look at these pictures and think it over if you still undecided on the GTS :eater:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my two cents, I had the opportunity to buy both, but decided on the RT because there is nothing like driving a Viper with the top down. If I want a more weather friendly car, I can drive my other cars.

And, of course, R E D is the fastest color....

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS looks better to me... and is the reason I bought one. I like the looks of the RT/10 and like driving a vert / roadster and would like to add one, but I can't see replacing the GTS. One of the best looking cars made IMHO.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I FINALLY made a decision!

I just agreed to a price and terms on an 01 sapphire blue GTS with a few upgrades (headers, exhaust, etc.). Overall, the color, options, and price are perfect for me. I couldn't be happier with how things have turned out.

He is sending me a few specific pics I asked for tomorrow, and as long as things look good I'll be making the transaction on Monday.

Now I just have to decide if I want to fly out and drive it home 1,000 miles or have it shipped:D

Thanks for everyones input, it helped me out alot!

-Derek

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats...

Vipers are real solid but 1,000 miles is a long way to go in a car that you are not familiar with... Not the kind of car you want to get stuck on the side of the road alone and 700 miles from home... Lots of guys here have done it though and the weather is improving..

goldlifter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
speaking from experience on my last gts....ship it. the front nose and windshield will thank you,especially this time of year with all the gravel on the roads still. in any case, congrats!

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations!
I always wanted a Viper, The GTS that is. But when it came down to buying one as a replacement to my Convertible BMW. I just couldn't give up the love of the convertible ride. I got an RT/10. But I still love the look of a GTS.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both, rt does sell alittle cheaper, I offer 10k and my 95 rt to alot with no deals. I sold it and love the gts. Dont get me wrong the rt is very coool to. I didnt take the top off much,(where to store it without scatching) the side curtains.....I like the flair on the rear fenders of the gts,spoiler. I see alot less of the gts to.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fought the same thing, but between a Vert and a coupe, both Gen IIIs.

The bottom line is this...I love the looks of the coupe more, but I'm truly a fan of open air driving. Back when I had my Vette's, I had always gotten the coupes because I got more car for the money...but deep down, I always wanted the Vert. When I started researching my future Gen III Viper, it was difficult for me not to get the "best" looking car for the money. But everytime I drive my Vert, I know it was the best decision for me:2tu:

If you can't look at yourself in the mirror and know you'll be happy without the open air driving, don't get the GTS...you'll regret it in the long run:drive: