Does K&N install require battery disconnect?

04 Black GA Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instructions say disconnect battery before K&N install. Is this necessary? A previous post stated that battery disconnect resets the computer. Even if that is true, is that relevant for K&N install? Thanks.

Volltage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it is because when you dissconnect the O2 sensor it makes the check engine light come on. Make sure that you dont leave your keys in the car since the locks up when you dissconnect the negitive terrminal. Be sure that your in take holes are the right size, alot of them have had to be drilled out.If you do a search too you can find out more info on the K&N install.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As discused before one need to remove the baffle and then remove the K & N filter assembly and clean any oil from inside the throttle body. Also remove and clean the two sensors with electric motor cleaner and air dry. I looked at mine and found that the two hose connections were much smaller than the stock, my unit was the lster design i was told, so I drilled them out to the same size as the stock unit. The stock air box does not come even close to fitting tight around the K & N plastic T assembly so I would suggest putting foam tape around it between the air filter box and the T connector, make sure you check mit with a flashlight as there is a ton of room between the two. Next one needs to remove the factory baffle from the ram air duct in the hood and again use foam tape to seal between the air box and the hood so no outside air enters except throuh the hood scoop. Be sure to disconnect the negitive battery post, 10 mm socket, and leave it off for a few minutes so that the computer is reset. This made a whole world of difference on my viper. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE NEGITIVE BATTERY BECOUSE WHEN YOU REATTACH THE BATTERY CABLE THE WHOLE SYSTEM GOES INTO ANTI-THEIF MODE AND SHUTS DOWN. JUST OPEN THE DOOR WITH YOUR KEY, UNDER THE SIDE SCOOPS ON THE DRIVER DOOR IS A KEEY LOCK, AND GET IN AND START THE CAR AND LET IDLE FOR 10 MIN AND EVERYTHING WILL WORK AS IT DID BEFORE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang