Does the T&D RR ..

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cause a Lean Burn!!

Since I have changed to the T&D, the car is running slightly leaner judging from the spark plugs...is that expected. So far I switched from using 94 Octane to 91 Octane, not sure if this is a solution, need more miles to re-assess.

Any input would be appreciated.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that the roller rockers will effect the air/fuel a little, making it leaner, because you're flowing more air.

I don't know if the octane rating will play a part in much, other than increasing your chances of detonation.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Octane will not affect A/F ratio. Nor will installing T&D rockers. More airflow will be compensated for by the PCM. Remember, the tip of the plug is deceiving. You really need a wideband A/F meter to tell how lean/rich the mixture is.

OP
OP
H

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really need a wideband A/F meter to tell how lean/rich the mixture is.

Agree 100% this is more scientific than eyeballing. I'll have the A/F ratio checked shortly.

GTS BRUCE, 91 octane shouldn't induce engine knocking, according to the Owners Manual page 78 "Your vehicle.....having a minimum Octane rating of 91". Then the next sentence states " The purchase of higher octane fuel is not recommended". trying to go by the book, to see if this will reduce my lean burn condition.

Check this article,Sunoco gas ads in dispute.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/1999/10/11/story4.html

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I meant to say or what I was thinking is that knocking can occur when a mixture becomes too lean.So use a higher octane not to change AF ratio but to reduce the possibility of detonation under hot lean conditions.As a Sunocco user all our vehicles seem to run better on it than mobil.The thing I don't like is the single hose.I use 93 for the viper figuring that I am getting some left over 87 in that single use hose. GTS Bruce

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gofastforlife:

Not quite so - you are right during closed loop, however, during wot (open loop) the PCM has a fixed map to run from and by increasing air flow you will affect the overall a/f. The natural tendency for the viper is to run (wot)lean at midrange and then go richer as the rpms increase. That is what makes the VEC2 so nice, it can correct that lean condition in the midrange and get you back some hp. The NA viper like 12.75 to 13.0 and any deviation costs hp.

OP
OP
H

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Does the T&D RR ..

It was suggested to install an MSD Fuel Pump Booster to rectify fuel pressure drop. Has anyone tried this?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HSSSTOY:

The stock viper pump will support well over 600 hp. Typically the boost-a-pump is used when you exceed that 600 hp level or you have a sc car. The Kenne Belle booster is a bit nicer than the MSD version. Sean Roe sells the MSD with a kit that makes it plug-an-play for the viper.

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HSSSTOY,

I hate to intrude on your post, but where did you get the Sneaky Pete tiles for your garage? Are they Racedeck? I think it's a badass combo. Sorry I can't give any input to the thread. Thanks.

Frank

OP
OP
H

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Frank,

On the contrary, the thread has been finished with great good answers.

Glad you have noticed Sneaky Pete, and yes it was offered by Racedeck at the time I ordered the floor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32