Does this smell like a scam

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got a response back. We'll see how long I can keep it going.

Yes, I have cash and live in Norfolk, so there will be no need at all for shipping. Can I come see it today or tomorrow? It seems like a great deal and I want to jump on it before someone else does. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks!

To: [email protected]
Sent: Sat, February 12, 2011 1:30:46 PM
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for Viper SRT-10 - 2005 Dodge Viper

Hi, thanks for interest and please excuse my late answer, I was very busy all week, I'm an architect, my husband as well. If you're still interested I would like to know if you have your own funds and if you can pick up in Virginia Beach or need shipping. Thank you, Linda & Frank Carter

Subject: Cars.com used car lead for Viper SRT-10 - 2005 Dodge Viper
CC: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:35:59 -0600

Interested Buyer from Cars.com

This message is a request from Steve Lanford who is interested in the 2005 Dodge Viper you advertised on Cars.com. Please respond to this prospective buyer as soon as possible.

Please reply directly to the prospective buyer's email address, as messages sent back to Cars.com will not be routed to the prospective buyer.

Thank you for using Cars.com.

Sincerely,
Cars.com Consumer Support
New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice
FRAUD ALERT: DON'T FALL FOR INTERNET SCAMS.
Do not accept certified checks for more than your asking price
Do not accept a deal that requires you to wire money to buyer
Use only reputable, well-known escrow Web sites that YOU designate
Report fraud at [email protected] For more information, visit our Safe Buying & Selling blog or our Fraud Awareness tips
Prospective Buyer
Comments: The car looks great! I have 1999 GTS and I'm looking to add an SRT to the garage as well. When can I come see it? Honestly, you have it priced so low, it worries me a little. I have cash, so there is no need for financing. Just let me know when I can come see it and hopefully pick it up.
Name: Steve Lanford
Email: [email protected]

OP
OP
S

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the same exact response I received. Guess they stick to a script.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought the car for $22,000 and wired them the money. It included shipping and are shipping it in 3 days to my door. I can not wait.

yeah right
Bruce

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same form letter response back to me and my response back. I want to see how long I **** them around.

Re: Cars.com used car lead for Viper SRT-10 - 2005 Dodge Viper
Scott Lanford <[email protected]>
View Contact
To: Linda Carter <[email protected]>
That makes sense. I can understand the frustration you've been through. Who is SGS? I would very much like to see the report from them if you can forward it to me. We can work out the 2% payment then as well. Since I'm already local, I can check out the car easily if you have a friend that can meet me to show it to me. Looking forward to the next step.

Steve

Sent: Sun, February 13, 2011 12:32:48 AM

We would like to let you know that due to our work we're in Phoenix, AZ. Car is garaged in Virginia Beach. We went through a bad experience almost 3 weeks ago when someone asked my husband to be back home as he will come and buy it, well, Frank went for complete the deal but the buyer never showed up and he stopped answering to his phone or email. We ordered also an SGS inspection when Frank was in Virginia Beach, a team from SGS made the inspection at our home address, we have a report if you want to see it. My husband talked with the SGS team and told them about that non-buyer and they advise Frank that in the future, if he want a safe deal and be sure that it will be completed to pay their required fees , 2% of the sale amount , and the SGS company will can handle the payment, what I mean is we will set up a transaction with them, as the car has already been inspected by them, they will shortly approve it. The next step, the buyer will pay the money to them, as soon we will have their payment confirmation , Frank will come back to VA and will meet you in order to complete the deal. SGS will hold your money until you will confirm to them that you met the seller and you picked up the car, after you will confirm them that everything went fine and you're satisfied with the car and the titled has been successfully transferred under your name, they will send us the funds. If all this is ok for you and you agree with our proposal we can move forward, just let us know and my husband will call you for further details. Thank you

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Linda Carter one of the original Charlie's Angels??? :2tu: Gotta trust her...

What is your next step? Tell them: I have a friend who is a policeman in Phoenix and that he can deliver the 2% downpayment money so both parties feel real secure... Just let me know your address where you are staying?

Same form letter response back to me and my response back. I want to see how long I **** them around.

View Contact
That makes sense. I can understand the frustration you've been through. Who is SGS? I would very much like to see the report from them if you can forward it to me. We can work out the 2% payment then as well. Since I'm already local, I can check out the car easily if you have a friend that can meet me to show it to me. Looking forward to the next step.

Steve

Sent: Sun, February 13, 2011 12:32:48 AM

We would like to let you know that due to our work we're in Phoenix, AZ. Car is garaged in Virginia Beach. We went through a bad experience almost 3 weeks ago when someone asked my husband to be back home as he will come and buy it, well, Frank went for complete the deal but the buyer never showed up and he stopped answering to his phone or email. We ordered also an SGS inspection when Frank was in Virginia Beach, a team from SGS made the inspection at our home address, we have a report if you want to see it. My husband talked with the SGS team and told them about that non-buyer and they advise Frank that in the future, if he want a safe deal and be sure that it will be completed to pay their required fees , 2% of the sale amount , and the SGS company will can handle the payment, what I mean is we will set up a transaction with them, as the car has already been inspected by them, they will shortly approve it. The next step, the buyer will pay the money to them, as soon we will have their payment confirmation , Frank will come back to VA and will meet you in order to complete the deal. SGS will hold your money until you will confirm to them that you met the seller and you picked up the car, after you will confirm them that everything went fine and you're satisfied with the car and the titled has been successfully transferred under your name, they will send us the funds. If all this is ok for you and you agree with our proposal we can move forward, just let us know and my husband will call you for further details. Thank you

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Linda Carter is Wonder Woman.
Hey maybe they are selling an invisible jet too.:D

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided to try George's idea. We'll see what excuse I get back.

View Contact
I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier when you said you were in Phoenix. My cousin works for the Phoenix PD as a criminal psychologist. I can have him bring you the money in person and then you know you have the money, I just send the money to someone I know. It works out easier for both of us.

Shoot me back your number and where you are staying in Phoenix and I can have him bring it to you early next week.

Steve

Sent: Sun, February 13, 2011 12:28:13 PM

I do not have someone there who can show it to you, sorry, as I said, it is garaged at our home address where it always been . SGS is the company who inspected the car as I mentioned, they can handle the payment . If everything sounds fine for you , I mean if you agree with the proposed way in order to complete the deal I'll send you their report for the inspection. A phone number is required as well I guess my husband will want to call you before moving forward...Thanks

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LIKE the idea of my wife wearing the Wonder woman outfit, not too sure about the magic lasso! It makes you TELL THE TRUTH!!! about WHATEVER is asked!!:omg::omg: Guys, keep the scam going on them! I like reading this soap opera! Jeff

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much longer they'll keep playing now.

View Contact
It's not that I'm uncomfortable with the original way you proposed, but I'm a little surprised you aren't comfortable having the money actually handed to you by someone local. That seems like the absolute safest way for you. You will physically have the cash handed to you in Phoenix, and it would probably save you some fees from SGS as well.
If we must go with SGS, I'm not saying I'm not interested, but I'm curious as to why having someone bring you actual cash makes you uncomfortable. He's not just a guy off the street, he works for the police dept, so you can trust him. If you're worried about him knowing where you live for some reason, I'm sure he could meet you somewhere else. Or you could even meet at the precinct where his office is. You can't get much safer than a police station.

Thanks,

Steve

Sent: Sun, February 13, 2011 3:19:10 PM

Steve, we will feel much comfortable if it will be done as we proposed, if you do not agree with our proposal, it is fine, we understand. Thank you

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is way toooo funny... That was perfect. What a BS response. Now they just want to brush off the transaction. I think it is time to report them to Cars.com at minimum.

OP
OP
S

Sarge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
I'm enjoying watching you play with "Linda". "Her" last response was a bit shorter than the other BS.

George,
I did report the ad to Cars earlier this week and they pulled the ad and apologized.

Another appeared in Cars.com from a car that was on e-bay with a buy it now of about $36K as I recall. Had a price of $23K for a 97 or 98' GTS. None of the information matched the e-bat ad but some of the e-bay photos were on the cars.com ad. It disappeared from cars pretty quickly.

Starting to see some pretty strange stuff shopping for a car.

copmagnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I may have just ruined it for everyone as far as receiving future responses...
I've been in touch with Wonderwoman for the past couple days and have received the exact same word-for-word emails that have been posted on here. Typical scam, they have a set response for each email depending on what phase of the scam you're in. You may ask a question or two that will be answered in the first sentence of her/his response, but then they will proceed to copy the remainder of dialog they have sent to everyone else. I played dumb and got to the phase where she wants to have her "husband" call me to go over everything involved. By this i'm sure she means: call me to see what kind of a legitimate sucker I am. I assume they want to find out more detailed information about me such as my location, occupation, and level of ignorance to see if i'm worth proceeding to milk money from. And no danger involved.
Stupid me, I accidentally gave them the wrong number...when I went back to check what number I gave them I found out it's directly to a live person at the FBI internet fraud division....weird!
Anyways, I believe a small order of butt-puckering will take place when someone answers their call. And maybe....just maybe they'll get scared and paranoid enough to stop trying to take peoples money. But, ya never know. Please post if you're still receiving responses from them after today.:D

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I may have just ruined it for everyone as far as receiving future responses...
I've been in touch with Wonderwoman for the past couple days and have received the exact same word-for-word emails that have been posted on here. Typical scam, they have a set response for each email depending on what phase of the scam you're in. You may ask a question or two that will be answered in the first sentence of her/his response, but then they will proceed to copy the remainder of dialog they have sent to everyone else. I played dumb and got to the phase where she wants to have her "husband" call me to go over everything involved. By this i'm sure she means: call me to see what kind of a legitimate sucker I am. I assume they want to find out more detailed information about me such as my location, occupation, and level of ignorance to see if i'm worth proceeding to milk money from. And no danger involved.
Stupid me, I accidentally gave them the wrong number...when I went back to check what number I gave them I found out it's directly to a live person at the FBI internet fraud division....weird!
Anyways, I believe a small order of butt-puckering will take place when someone answers their call. And maybe....just maybe they'll get scared and paranoid enough to stop trying to take peoples money. But, ya never know. Please post if you're still receiving responses from them after today.:D

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude