Don't Hold Your Breath! They're NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Don\'t Hold Your Breath! They\'re NOT Coming Out Any Time Soon?

Remster, No SRT production cars have been released. I would have to say your post is an unsubstantiated urban legand.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Okay, the clues were pretty much enough this time.

Transformer: DC
Paper clip: ******** via the website
Recepticle: VCA Website
System: VCA

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cris you are the winner! I am not that surprised that this group got it so quickly. I will be getting a list of the available posters posted in the next few days. Please be patient. Why don't you e-mail me your address and I will get the mailing tube ready. Send e-mail to [email protected]

Thanks to all who played the game. See EddieN, it's wasn't that hard. Better luck next time.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey...wait... I meant the website when I said "Special Programs for the VCA" I need a poster too.....

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jerry, the odds that I have something that you don't have, is like saying I have a Viper toy that Maurice doesn't have. Isn't going to happen. Thanks for playing along but, Cris came up with the exact word as I had written it down.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rick... I was just kidding....
clown.gif
clown.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who said the cars would be rebadged as 04's? Don't take any of the speculation listed on this web site as fact. Unless it is substantiated by someone from the corporation or posted by one of the VCA Officers or web site committee members, it is a rumor.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They CANNOT be sold as 04's. Federal law prohibits changing the VIN stamp. If it was stamped an 03, it must be sold and titled as an 03. We have scrapped a lot of cars (bodies) just because a VIN stamp wasn't clear or correct. This is so important that it is checked and double checked in multiple places during assembly. The VIN is put in so many places on the car (theft deterence) that it would be impossible to change out all the parts with the 03 VIN. They might as well just scrap the cars.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Manasas1,

May be you are right but,in 1970,Shelby changed the VIN of car manufactured in 1969 (and unsold) to a new 1970 VIN to sell them as 1970 model.

I'm talking of the GT 350/500 and the VIN was changed from 9*** to 0****.

Shelby got the OK to do it from the Fed.

Luc.
00GTS
03 SRT

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ahh, the good old days! The government needs something to do, don't they? I'll bet if Porsche built the 959 back in 69-70, no one in the government would have had any problem with them being street legal. As the years go by, the regulations get stickier. Cars in the 60's and 70's didn't have laser etched VIN's on every major part. I hope our Vipers have this.....come to think of it, I know what BMW does, but I have no clue about Gen 1 or 2 Vipers.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Richard,

you are correct when you state than 68/70 were manufactured by Ford at their Dearborn plant but their Warranty plate and VIN were Shelby specific.
They were "stamped" SPECIAL PERFORMANCE VEHICLE with a Shelby code of "48" and a special Shelby Unit Number.(starting with 0001 thru 3300)

Luc.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Looks like Luc wins!

laugh.gif

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The change made on the Shelby GT-350's and 500's was made by Ford Motor Co and not Shelby. The last Shelby Mustangs built in California by Shelby american were the 67 models. All 68 , 69 and 70's were built by Ford.

Now regarding VIN numbers I know that the Motor, Tranny and the frame have a stamp (frame has the laser type). Once asked a Craftsperson at Connor about this. They let me watch them stamp the engine and showed me where the frame stamp is.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc, I don't want to turn this into a long tread about Shelby's but the VIN numbers were assigned and stamped by Ford Motor Company. In 69 and 70 Shelby really had nothing to do with the cars except marketing. I know I have some old ads which show Shelby standing next to a 69 model. I am unfamiliar with the code you listed as I am sure it doesn't appear in the VIN. For instance a VIN number could be broken down as follows. Decipher 8T02J123456 as 8 (1968)year, T (Metuchen NJ) assembly plant, 02 (Fastback) body style, J (302 4 barrel) engine, 123456 equaled the unit off the line at that plant. I am not sure about the 48 code? If it was on the warrenty plate I am not aware of it. Usually the plate contained interior color and trim level, rear gear, exterior color and trim, and VIN. number. The Shelby tag on the engine compartment aprons just had a modified VIN number with some additional Shelby serial numbers added to the end of the VIN. However these numbers were assigned by Ford and not Shelby American. The body buck tag on the radiator support might contain the code you refer to but I didn't think that they did. Now there was also a build sheet which was sometimes stuffed into the dash or under a seat cushion which was very specific. Listed out codes for springs, shocks, rear end, tires, trim, color, options, etc. I would have to see if that number showed up there. The long and the short of it is that it was Ford who changed the number and not Shelby American.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Richard,

I guess that you are right since the "manufacturer of record"was Ford,but the cars are Shelby,not Ford.

As for the "48" code,it is part of the VIN on 69/70.(and the VIN is also part of the Warranty Plate)

For example: 9F02R480001

9= 1969
F= Plant Dearborn
02=body style Fastback
R= engine code 428
48= Shelby code
0001=Shelby Unit Number

Also,only in 1968 did the Shelby Unit Number was added to the ford number (8T02R0001-0001)

Luc.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc, I never noticed the 48 prefix on the VIN #no. I guess I will check the Registry. Thanks for the clarification. Wish I owned a 70 Grabber Orange GT-500 with the black/white reflective side stripe. Had a 70 Boss 302 in that color combination and it was killer. Should have kept it after I got the Viper but rarely ever drove it once I had the Viper.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yack .... yack ... yack. "The SRT will not be released soon" ... yack, yack, yack .... Why don't they call it the '04 SRT?" ... yack, yack, yack. Guess what, all you whiners!!! The SRT is here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi