Door speaker adapter rings

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I would share what I did with my door speaker part of my stereo install. I looked at so many threads about changing the door speakers only to find that most people settled with what would fit. Or shall I say bolt right in. The problem I have with that is that I could not find a really high quality speaker that could handle much power that would bolt right in. I decided to have an aluminum adapter ring made that would adapt the 3 hole pattern to a standard 4 hole. It would also space the speaker out a little to allow a larger speaker with a larger basket. All this could be done without cutting anything. The speakers I went with are the Alpine SPX 17 Pro series. The mid is actually a 6.75" speaker. By spacing it out, I was also able to use the grill which had a larger diameter. When installed, you can not see the adapter and the speaker is still slightly recessed. What do you think? Sorry the pics are not the best in the world.....

Rings.JPG

Doorring.JPG

Doorspeaker.JPG

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, not exactly. :rolleyes: Those I think are just spacers. Mine have the 3 factory holes drilled through and counter sunk. The 4 holes for the aftermarket speaker are threaded 8/32. It is more of an adapter to prevent cutting or drilling anything. It uses the factory screws to mount the ring then the speaker attaches with 4-8/32 X 1/2 screws. Not to mention alot better quality than plastic :)

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Failed to mention, if you go with 1/2" it makess the speaker stick out too far and does not look recessed at all. You will also see the spacer. I used 3/8" aluminum.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If enough people were interested I could have my machine shop make more. They were made on a CNC router.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F$%^!!! you are about 2 weeks too late. But I did buy cheap 6.5" speakers. I'd take a set.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F$%^!!! you are about 2 weeks too late. But I did buy cheap 6.5" speakers. I'd take a set.

Yep! Ditto. I did my speakers with kicker drop in's about 2 months ago. Wish I knew you were building these. Would have given me plenty more options.

Nice work, nonetheless! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to check with my guy at the machine shop and see how many sets he would want to do at a time. Obviously the more he did at one time the better price I could do.

v10viperbox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested as well. I thought about doing something like this on emachineshop but the quote for was outrageous.

10BamBam01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in. I'm glad I found this post as I was actually heading out to BestBuy today to try and find a set of speaks that would just drop in. I have a great set of Arc Audios that I really want to use but the basket is too large and the holes don't lineup.

Looking forward to hearing what your machine shop has to say about making more. What did you have to pay them, by the way, for your original set?

Thanks!

Bam Bam

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry it is taking so long to get answers. The owner of my machine shop has been out all week. He is back today and playing "catch up". I will let you know as soon as I hear from him. The good thing is that whenever he does parts for me, he is extremely quick and has them ready for me asap. :2tu:

Yeah, I painted mine satin black, just in case you could see any of them at all once installed, but with my grills you can not see anything. One other thing that I did was to put some 3/8" X 1/8" foam tape on both sides to make sure I had a good seal.

You can find this tape here Parts-Express.com: Speaker Gasketing Tape 1/8" x 3/8" x 50 ft. Roll | gasket sealing caulk gasketing sealing caulk speaker caulk

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom 08: can you give us the model number of the Alpine speakers you ordered and size????

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I must also mention. If you decide to go with this set of components, the tweeter will not fit the factory location. The factory tweeter in the dash is like a 3/4" The one with this set is 1 1/4". I still mounted mine in the dash but I mounted it in the factory grill. I took an electrical knockout and popped a hole in the grill, then used a dremel to get the hole the perfect size.

Not the best pics in the world, but this is the passenger side..

grillcutout.JPG

tweet.JPG

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I mounted the crossovers, which are fairly large, in the doors. There is plenty of room behind the panels. I made a bracket to hold them and bolted them in.

crossover.JPG

crossoverdoor.JPG

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:2tu: Alright I have answers. I need to get orders for at least 13 pairs. The pricing would be $140 per pair plus shipping. These would be made from 3/8" thick aluminum plate on a CNC router. I must say, I can not nor will not guarantee that these will work perfectly for any and all 6 1/2" speakers. They however should fit most just fine. They are custom made for the Alpine sets that I used. You can look at the Alpine website to see all specs. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well....:dunno: is anyone still interested? I know it sounds a little pricey, but we are talking about a part for a car that we all paid close to a $100,000 for :)

10BamBam01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking at the photos again it became clear to me that they wouldn't work for the speakers I already have that I wanted to install (Arc Audio). I went ahead and installed the Kicker KS600 speakers.