Drag racers and tuners please read

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here goes, I have all the bolt on's you can think of and probably some you can't. A good friend of mine has a 97 GTS with exhaust and smooth tubes only (Never drag raced a day in his life). I jump him off the line with a 5.05 RT and a 1.79 60ft to his 9.64 RT and 2.1 60ft, I am 6 to 8 lengths ahead. We hit the 1/8 mile even, by the end of the track he is 3 to 4 lengths.He ran 116 to 117 mph to my 109 to 110. He ran 12.3 all night and I ran 12.3 to 12.5. I did not spin or miss any gears we have the same tires he has stock gears to my 3:45s. Now I know some of you are going to say Gen I vs Gen II, but I have enough mods and power to make up for the differences, my car is lighter by about 115 lbs. I dyno 425+ rwhp and over 500 ftlbs of torque. At bowling green I ran 117 to 121, I have not changed a thing on the car (the most recent mods were completed before bowling green). My point to this rambling:
I should easily be in the high 11's and I can't seem to break 12.2. I rarely run more than a 1.88 I even hit a 1.75 on Pilots and still only managed a 12.2 at 110.9. temp was 55 degrees. Again, any and all help is appreciated.

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say you are running 109 to 110 do you mean quarter mile? If that is the case I would advise you to check your maintanance items first; fuel filter, plug wires, plugs etc.. There's got to be a reason why your mph is down so much. Is there any obious misfire?

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad gasoline? I would say that you have lost atleast 75 rwhp based on your drop in trapspeed.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing you fail to realize is that the 97 GTS is the fastest Viper.
wink.gif

OP
OP

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for responding, unfortanetly my original post was too long so I could not post all that I have done so far. I have changed plugs, wires, pcm and the injectors cleaned. My most recent mods were lighter motor pulley's and 1.7's installed. This was done before bowling green. When I changed the plugs I learned that the shop that changed them last (not my viper tech) put in bosch instead of champion, we thought that was the problem, when I went racing this weekend no improvement on the mph. I actually ran the worst time's I've run in months. I am looking at purchasing some diagnostic equipment to hook up to my computer so maybe that can point me in a different direction. Any other ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

OP
OP

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you JP, Marv S, Jason and Dan B.
Marv my shift points are 1st 5600, 2nd 5500, 3rd 5500 and all the way out in 4th.
JP I do have headers, I will try your shifting points next and I will do as you suggest with the throttle cables and battery. Any other ideas you have again, would be appreciated. I will post when I get the above completed. My only problem now is going to be getting to the track the weather is getting bad, and I am not sure when I will be able to get back there.
Thank you all again.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No1... thing to do, syncronize your trottles!
No2... thing to do, disconnect battery for 15 minutes!

Now you should be able to get atleast 120 mph...if you have headers on your Gen1.

Shift at 5600, 5600, 5700