Drag Racing In Florida??

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the commotion from the Texas rivals the Florida race gig has seemed to have died off. I'd like to invite any Viper owners who care to attend, to a race this coming Sunday (December 8) at Orlando Speedworld. It is an all day event designed for street/grudge race type activities and is open to anyone. Tech inspection will be very loose if any at all. Orlando hosts an event like this on a Sunday, only once every couple of months and the turnout of street cars is very good.

My offer still stands to Gary A. with regards to entry fee and dinner, heck I'll even throw in a nights hotel stay. Just let me know when you are coming. Don't wait too long though as I'm getting older by the minute.

Should anyone need instructions to Orlando Speedworld, please feel free to contact me.

Tom

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Texas races being set up are intra-state grudge matches and the Texas contingent seems to be happy to travel to Florida for some more action. Jason Heffner is in the process of arranging the Viper Winternationals in Florida in late January.

Don't you worry Tom, you'll get a piece of my car!

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries here, just anticipation!

Bought a brand new digital mini video camera just for this grand occasion so get your driving suit cleaned! I assume you will be driving your car, after all your keyboard bloating. You may let your hired gun drive against me ONLY AFTER YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THIS MATCH. This is a NON NEGOTIABLE requirment as I expect you to walk as you sure can talk! Don't bother coming if you can't get the job done yourself. Note to all readers: Any non smackers who can't drive their own car, please feel free to use a "hired gun". This only applies to Mr. Almond.

On a side note, does anyone have any information on this Florida Viper Winternationals? Please let us all know so that some of us can plan to be in town for this event. Thanks.

Tom

Baron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
Orlando hosts an event like this on a Sunday, only once every couple of months and the turnout of street cars is very good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does this differ from the regular sessions that I've been going to on Wed. and Fri. nights for the last month?

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baaron,

There are several items that make the Sunday event different;

1. They have lanes set up where no time is posted..no ticket..no nothing, the timers in the tower are turned off. Of course, they have several lanes for timed runs and the finish line lighting is turned on.

2. The race is during the day, all day so plenty of runs can be had.

3. The event is designed for street/grudge type racing in an event to curb the local street racing.

4. The Sunday event occurs less often and usually has good turnout.

Please, I'm not a spokesperson for Speedworld, but I have been racing there for over 20 years and have known it to be a family oriented facility with realistic tech inspection, decent track food, and a down home atmosphere that invites a good time. For information about the track schedule, try calling 407-568-5522.

It's kind of a shame that there aren't more Central Florida Viper folks who like to drag race as we are surrounded by excellent facilities who typically treat us like Kings when we do come out. I encourage all of our local club members to give it a try sometime, its possibly the best (10) bucks you will have spent in a long time.

Thanks again for your questions,

Tom

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I might spend the night in the area after the Viper Christmas party at Gary La. house. Do you know where he lives and can you give me directions from his house to the track.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
You may let your hired gun drive against me ONLY AFTER YOU DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THIS MATCH. This is a NON NEGOTIABLE requirment as I expect you to walk as you sure can talk!

Tom

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I've never made any claims about my driving ability at the strip. I do know that my car can outrun your car--I have no hesitation in stating that fact. I definitely will NOT be the driver. If you want to back out now, that's ok--I sort of figured you would start putting in all the stipulations sooner or later. If, however, you still think your car is faster than mine, don't let the driver of the car bother you. Remember, it's car against car.

Thanks,
GaryA

CoryMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest that the faster Vipers go into the lanes where they won't time your runs, as OSW has been known to toss people from the track for cars that don't meet regulations. I've heard nothing but complaints about OSW, crappy track prepping as well as bad management. I am biased towards BMP, though
wink.gif

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

It is NEVER car against car for me when a big talker runs his mouth. I just figured with a big mouth like you got, you'd want to back it up yourself, I guess not, figures! How do you figure that you are faster? Have you bested a 9.90. As of today, your considerably slower 10.48 would be so far behind that we could run a herd of cattle between our two cars! One thing you will never, ever be able to say, is that YOU yourself can outrun me. I will wager ANYTHING on that!

Why would someone buy such a car, then turn around and do all that work to it, then RUN HIS MOUTH, only to not be able to personally back it up?? I can't understand that for the life of me..its not like you have some multi-million dollar branded race vehicle and team, its a personal vehicle. Vipers are owned and driven by folks of all ages and gender! Grow some balls or SHUT THE HELL UP!!

Just to show the sport and REAL racer that I am, bring that masterpiece down here, with any driver that you want, I will never, ever, ever use the same lame excuses that you hide behind. My offer still stands..but you will have to take your medicine AT THE WHEEL YOURSELF. After that, I could care less who drives for you. ENOUGH WORDS.

Cory,

I have not seen the problems that you claim at OSW, not to say that things can't happen. I know for a fact that there are mid 8 second cars running at OSW without all the required safety equipment..I think its crazy but never-the-less they are there running on Wed-Fri nights. Maybe you came on a bad nite..I don't know. I also prefer Bradenton but OSW is hosting this fun day event this coming Sunday, so thats where we have decided to go. We were at a Funday-Sunday at Bradenton a few weeks back and had a great time. I like both tracks, but for safety equipment challenged cars Bradenton is better.

Tom

P.S. for those who don't know me, alot of this is tasteless good fun. I have the upmost respect for the builder of Gary's car. Some folks get on a power trip but can't back it up themselves, and Gary is a perfect example of that. I enjoy talking it up and I enjoy even more, backing it up. I don't talk if Im not willing to back it up myself. Thats all part of what makes racing fun and exciting. When and if the day ever comes that I get stupid and challenge some Low 9 second Viper to a race, there will be one thing you can count on, No-ONE else will be behind the wheel of my car to back up my talking..anything less is kindergarten mentality. I suggest to all the "paper racers" like Gary...try cockfighting!

------------------ Http://btrviper.com

352-690-9600

1997 GTS, BTR 750 SS
9.92 @ 143 MPH
776 RWHP @ 954 RWTQ
All for less than $ 20K Installed

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Tom Welch on 12-03-2002 at 09:33 PM</font>

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, unfortunately we will probably end up going to Texas to race, I feel that racing some fast cars would be more fun. Fell free to talk all the smack you want between now and then because that's all the time you'll have left. I whole heartedly look forward to lining up next to you and showing you what a finely tuned supercharged machine can do. When you take a stab at one of my customers or one of thier cars I have no choice but to take it personally. As for now, your right, Gary's car hasn't been in the 9s yet, but with a 10.48 at 142 with the clutch slipping all the way down the track ON RADIALS, I think you know where this car is headed. I hope you'll be able to come to Texas, if not, let me know so I can stop off in Florida on the way down to engage in what will be a most humbling experience for you.

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

Please, don't wait for my call, just come on down..please. No excuses please, and Gary has to drive one run for his big mouth!
I suggest you let your customers, especially those like Gary who cast the first stone, stand on their own. I'm confused about protecting your customers..

I'm not sure about going to texas yet, due to a very busy schedule, so you better make those stop over plans. OH, and you better get Gary to pony up for some spray to go with that "finely tuned Supercharger", if you intend to run with my nitrous only car that is!(or any of the nitrous only Texas cars). Hows about this novel idea..race your own car like the rest of the Texas and Florida tuners.

Impatiently waiting!

Tom

P.S. On a serious note, Jason, my beef isn't with you and I wish you the best, but your customer has set himself up for what he is getting, I suggest you let him handle himself..he's a big boy and needs to back up his own smack! Have a great nite.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

Please, don't wait for my call, just come on down..please. No excuses please, and Gary has to drive one run for his big mouth!
I suggest you let your customers, especially those like Gary who cast the first stone, stand on their own. I'm confused about protecting your customers..

I'm not sure about going to texas yet, due to a very busy schedule, so you better make those stop over plans. OH, and you better get Gary to pony up for some spray to go with that "finely tuned Supercharger", if you intend to run with my nitrous only car that is!(or any of the nitrous only Texas cars). Hows about this novel idea..race your own car like the rest of the Texas and Florida tuners.

Impatiently waiting!

Tom

P.S. On a serious note, Jason, my beef isn't with you and I wish you the best, but your customer has set himself up for what he is getting, I suggest you let him handle himself..he's a big boy and needs to back up his own smack! Have a great nite.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

If you want to race my car you'll have to come to Texas. If you want to race me, I'm sure you will beat me. I haven't had the advantage of watching that masterpiece infomercial on "How to Drag Race Your Viper".

Now, before this gets out of hand, let me clarify my position. My car is faster than yours!

Thanks,
Gary

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

When its really faster, just let us know. Glad you could admit to being beat side by side though. I know you couldn't win that way.

Gonna try to make the Texas gig, and we can get this issue taken care of in short order.

Hope to see you there.

Tom

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Race my own car? This does sound good but being that I have a line of cars waiting to get in my shop that goes all the way until mid summer I don't think I'll have much time to play with my own toys. Besides all of my customers cars have to be built on the assumption that they will not want something that they have to work on. On my own car however I can go balls to the wall like every other tuner does. So I guess what I'm saying is you should be glad that my car isn't done. You know how it is.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, can I strap a 200 shot of Nitrous on my lawnmower and bring the propane grill with me and call myself a tuner and run with you Tom??
supergrin.gif

Perhaps I can be in the howdy doody club then.
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif

Tom, just kidding bro...
Just having some smack down

Gerald