Drag Racing Roll Bar

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went out to Lucas Oil Drag Strip last night to take my RT-10 down the strip only to find that I couldn't run faster than a 13.99 without a roll bar installed despite having my hard top on. Anyone else put a roll bar on their RT-10? If so, I have a couple questions.

1. Is it worth it?
2. Will I need one to drive on a race course as well not just a drag strip?
3. How much do they run?
4. If you have one can you post some pictures up so I can see what it looks like.

I haven't really decided if it is worth cutting into my car. Any thoughts would appreciated!

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Personal opinion. (yes)

2. Depends on the track but there will be a limit that you cant cross without getting tossed.

3. I paid around 800 a couple of years ago from DBB.

4. There was some drilling in the floor and cutting of the back panel but was very easy to do.

0171.JPG

A couple of other notes: You will lose the last notch in leaning the seat back.
The emergency door opener on the pas side is blocked.(drivers works)
If you dont have small hands its very hard to latch and unlatch the soft top.

0182.JPG

020.JPG

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't NHRA require a side bar? I looked at the I looked at the Autoform it didn't meet requirements for NHRA

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't NHRA require a side bar? I looked at the I looked at the Autoform it didn't meet requirements for NHRA

Bingo! Some tracks may let you go with nothing, some may let you go if have SOMETHING, but if they want to be "by the book", it must be at least a 5 point rollbar (drivers side bar). I know that's the rule on anything 11.99 or quicker.
I'm 100% sure on "what" constitutes a roll bar for verts under 13.99, as I don't think it specifically spelled out, but I would assume that the same definition holds true.
It's also "supposed" to be a NHRA approved bar, so slapping a one-off "might" not fly unless they do a complete inspection and sign off on it.
I don't know of any "manufactured" roll bars that meet the NHRA requirements. At least not any that aren't designed specifically for all out race cars (that you wouldn't want in a pleasure car.
This BS is one of the main reasons I haven't ever taken mine down the 1/4. The only "close" track anywhere near me that is a 1/4, is pretty tight on the rules. It's not worth a couple of hour drive to make one or two passes and possibly get booted.

For road courses, I think most of them will require a bar in a vert. I'm not sure exactly what the RT is considered though. I know I have to have one in my Gen III. The Autoform bar is good for road courses.

I'm honestly having so much more fun on the road course than I ever did at the strip though (grew up on the 1/4).

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01viper4me, have you callede Muncie?? they MIGHT be slightly more flexible.

No I haven't... I need to call and find out before I drive up there. I would love to find out what I can run just for kicks; however, I don't think I am to the point where I would want to buy a roll bar.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my personnal experience......there are alot of 1/8th and 1/4 mi dragstrips that are not so strict on the test and tune nights where there are alot of street cars and such. Of course during any NHRA or IHRA event the car has to meet all the safety requirements, even if the track don't catch something, sometimes when you beat another racer and they know the rules, they will then protest your car and you will be taken out and they will be put back in........I rarely have ever been to a test and tune night and had them be soooo strict but they always are on race night when people are racing for the money........judt don't plan on racing on race day and you can still enjoy running your car.........:drive: :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that's the rule on anything 11.99 or quicker.

That is ridiculous to require a rollbar for a sportscar at that speed. I can see maybe requiring one for a 11.99 57 Chevy, maybe. But the odds of an 11.99 Viper flipping at a dragstrip is about the same as winning a 200 million dollar lottery.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't understand a lot of their rules. With so many modern cars capable of breaking the 12 sec barrier right out of the box, they are killing the drag strip experience.

Like you said, in an older car that has been modified to make a lot more power than it was originally intended too, it makes more sense. You're stressing a lot of different areas on that car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang