Drag Strip insurance for a day?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have State Farm insurance. I plan on going to Milan Dragstrip one day this spring. I called them and they said I wouldn't be covered.

Is there a one day insurance policy I can buy?

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Some Drag Race facilities provide insurance as part of the entry fee. It usually is not enough to cover much, but better than nothing.

If you should have an accident, make sure it happens a few miles away, at the spot where the deer ran out in front of you.

Tom

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My state farm agent told me I was covered at the drag strip.

The way I understood was as long as it is not expresly stated as not being covered in your policy, then you are covered.

He did of course strongly recommend I NOT go racing.

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your statefarm agent must be new....Def NOT covered!! read the policy ! or better yet have him send the coverage confirmation to you in writing. Betcha he won't..

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope it defintally IS covered. My agent has been in business 20+ years. I have been with him 11 years.

Where in the State Farm Policy does it explicitly say it is NOT covered?

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we have a 2nd generation Insurance Agency here in MD, (35yrs.) Get it in writing....Betcha he won't send it. Open up your policy to "Exclusions".. Unless TX has a loophole....I don't see it being covered.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well yeah, you hit the nail on the head. If it is not specifically listed in the "Exclusions" sections then it is covered.

I'll check my policy again tonight but I know it was not listed last time I checked.

Check this old thread out:

State Farm insuranceThread

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most policies state: "to any auto we insure while being used in a pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest. Stunting activity or similar activities, or in practice for any such activities"....
Have the agent site you in the policy where there is No racing exclusion. Then fax it to me...I wanna see it (301) 963-9074...John

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to read mine as well. My state farm agent said I WAS covered. If I am just running my car on a track or drag strip, I'm covered.

I'll have to read the fine print, but I hope my agent knows enough to tell me the truth......

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance coverage differs based on state regs and other such stuff. TX is always different than the other states when it comes to policies.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know a guy, Vinnie, that will insure it for $42,000.
And best of all, if you dont wreck, he will give $30,000 back !

Seriously, most policies WONT cover any "timed" events. Timing constitutes a 'speed contest.' Whereas track driving schools dont routinely time the event. pots times, or award prizes. Drag racing is always timed. And there is almost always a winner and a loser......

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think some of these agents don't want to make waves with their policy holders, so they tell them they are covered. What the agent "says" isn't worth much if you wreck your car.
What your agent "says" will hold even less water if you should somehow hurt someone who claims against you. A rich guy with a Viper makes a good target.
I wouldn't believe anything other than what it says in your ploicy. If you cant tell by reading it, show the policy to your lawyer.
I know it's a long shot but I can see a Viper at the drags breaking traction, spinning and hitting the car in the other lane. If the guy gets hurt and he cant pay his bills he's going after you.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's see, here is a couple of accident reports that an underwriter/claims adjuster is reviewing:

" I launched the car and was half way down the drag strip, and as I was shifting from second to third the car lost traction and hit the wall"

"I was really hot into turn 11 and was carrying way to much speed, the car broke loose and smack, I hit the brick retaining wall"

Owner: Am I covered?
Insurance agent: "Sure your covered"

Claims agent: _____________________________

(You fill in the blank on what you feel is the most likely answer to this question)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Timed.......you will not be covered. If it was a road course I would worry but a dragstrip...don't worry about it unless you think it will go in the low nines or faster.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most policies state: "to any auto we insure while being used in a pre-arranged or organized racing, speed or demolition contest. Stunting activity or similar activities, or in practice for any such activities"....
Have the agent site you in the policy where there is No racing exclusion. Then fax it to me...I wanna see it (301) 963-9074...John

Where should I see this?

Under EXCEPTIONS AND ENDORSEMENTS my policy has listed:

CERTIFICATE OF GUARNTEED RENEWL

RENTAL REIMBUSMENT

TEXAS PERSONAL AUTO POLICY - AMENDATORY ENDORSEMENT: CHANGE DEFINITIONS, DUTIES, PARTS A AND D (I have no idea what this means)

AUTO DEATH INDEMNITY AND TOTAL DISABILITY COVERAGES

SUPPLEMNTARY DEATH BENEFIT

Where should I see the "we won't cover you if you are racing" stuff you are talking about?

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen a policy that doesn't have the "timed event" exclusion. Oftentimes, the policies will cover you if you are in a club or DRIVING SCHOOL. If you think that you're covered, FORCE your agent to put it in writing. If you're wrong or he denies telling you that you're covered, you're screwed. All the guys who have been saying that Viper owners are good targets are correct. The public sees us as rich guys who like to speed.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
State Farm - Declarations Page

Exceptions & Endorsements (Endorsement Pamplet Enclosed)

6160.1a Race or Speed Contest Exclusion.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to my State Farm office today. I am signed up for the Vipers Days driving school. State Farm says "Not covered".

I explained it was a school, no passing, no timed event. Still, no coverage once you are on the race track.