Dragstrip results -- Sears Point, CA 7/18

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a frustrating night at the 'strip this evening. For some reason beyond rational explanation, the Sears team decided this session to start denying access to the waterbox for everyone in the "street" group. This meant that those running on M/T DOT slicks (including yours truly) had no real means of performing a burnout, and thus had to launch on cold tires. They also decided not to use any VHT to prep the track, so said cold tires once spinning tended to keep spinning. To add insult to injury, we had a 20 mph headwind for most of the session.

Needless to say, my ETs were not where I hoped they would be. My best run was an 11.83 @ 122.04 with a 1.945 60'. This is actually *worse* than my shakedown run at Sacramento, which netted a 1.90 60' and an 11.78 @ 123.8. Sears is slightly uphill, which perhaps explains the discrepancy.

On the plus side, I did get 5 runs in (with a best 60' of 1.832) and now have a bit of practice managing wheelspin with slicks (it's easier than wheelspin with street tires IMO). Dumping the clutch at 4,500 RPM still takes a bit of faith, but fortunately this time nothing broke (no surprise given the lack of traction). I also met up with a fellow fellow Viper owner, and gave him some tips I've picked up, which seemed to help his results.

Next up: grudge drags at Sacramento (faster track, better prep, H2O readily available) on Saturday, 8/4. My Hennessey C/F airbox just arrived, so I'll be putting it to the real-world test at those races. As always, company welcome!

Reaction score
Ben -
Look at the bright side.... You needed seat time and straight line driving skills on M/T's. I highly recommend just driving straight line and getting used to keeping control of the odd sway on slicks. Even better, (agreed) nothing went snap and you drove home safely, and that's what counts!

Visit our website and play with your track times on our online dyno.

Regards,
Doug

http://www.douglevinmotorsports.com/

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding, 123.8 mph!!!!!

You are producing HORSEPOWER!!!!!

Is your car stock?

MPH is the true indicator of Power to Weight Ratio and will tell you how much your car will push you back in the seat at 100 mph!!!

You are definitely getting with the program!

IMHO, ET is greatly related to suspension/tires. A Viper is a road race car in my opinion so ET means nothing to me.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's pretty much stock
laugh.gif

Smooth tubes & K&Ns
Hennessey Venom heads
T&D 1.7 roller rockers
CDI headers