Driver door doesn't color match!

Muzz B Yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driver door doesn\'t color match!

Well tomorrow I get to meet with the area Dodge rep to find out what they are going to do about my driver door color not matching the rest of the car. Had the service manager in Missoula Montana look at it last week and then took it over to the local body shop they use for all their work.. body shop tells us that no one in Montana is qualified to paint the door...and his opinion is the entire car will have to be painted so that it all is a match...I can't believe this!
What do you think I should do? I've had the car for 3 weeks and was purchased new from Eric Lee at Latham motors in Idaho. By the way Lithia Motors in Missoula Montana has bent over backwards to help out in anyway possible to get this resolved even offered to bring the rep to my house which is 65 miles away.
If I ask for a buyback how does that work? What kind of value loss will the car have with a complete repaint?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Driver door doesn\'t color match!

Muzz B you will not have to paint the complete car, think about it, the door doesn't have a relation to the front fender, and the rear quarter has near zero with the trunk.

Yellow is very easy to match. Did the body shop really tell you that no one in the state of Montana is qualified to paint the door, and quarter pannel?

Well I wonder where all the Lexus,MB,BMW,Corvette dealers take there cars to have them painted. The owners of those cars are very perticular about the finish on such cars. Yellow in not even a metalic color. A new pearl black MB is much harder to paint.

This car is no different whatsover to a proffesional paint and body shop, that paints the elete list of cars I listed.

The reason you may have color difference is that the quarter panel and door are made of different materials. This can happen very easily, if they forget to prepare the pannels properly, and I'm sure the SRT is still painted by hand. Much more chance for error.

Is it really noticable? Yellow usually go's on great.

Make them fix it. I can't stand a car with a mismatched pannel.

You will suffer no loss if the car is done right, none at all, but do take pictures before and after. Don't want someone thinking it was wrecked. I may have had problems, find out.

Skip White

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey Muzz, I tore up the left side of my car in a slight fender bender. No frame or suspension damage, just body panels. Went to a body shop that specializes in fiberglass,SMC,plastic etc. You cannot even tell the car was damaged.No need for a complete repaint. Just a reputable shop!!!!!

OP
OP
M

Muzz B Yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Muzz B you will not have to paint the complete car, think about it, the door doesn't have a relation to the front fender, and the rear quarter has near zero with the trunk.

Yellow is very easy to match. Did the body shop really tell you that no one in the state of Montana is qualified to paint the door, and quarter pannel?

Well I wonder where all the Lexus,MB,BMW,Corvette dealers take there cars to have them painted. The owners of those cars are very perticular about the finish on such cars. Yellow in not even a metalic color. A new pearl black MB is much harder to paint.

This car is no different whatsover to a proffesional paint and body shop, that paints the elete list of cars I listed.

The reason you may have color difference is that the quarter panel and door are made of different materials. This can happen very easily, if they forget to prepare the pannels properly, and I'm sure the SRT is still painted by hand. Much more chance for error.

Is it really noticable? Yellow usually go's on great.

Make them fix it. I can't stand a car with a mismatched pannel.

You will suffer no loss if the car is done right, none at all, but do take pictures before and after. Don't want someone thinking it was wrecked. I may have had problems, find out.

Skip White

Montana is a bit behind the times.. thats what I love about it here! Yes the body shop said that no one in the state of Montana is qualified to paint it. From what I'm finding out there is pigment in the clear coat for the 05 yellow, that's the hard part to do. Yes the door panel doesn't match but of course it depends on the lighting. In full sun it looks the best and in my garage it is the worst.

OP
OP
M

Muzz B Yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Muzz, I tore up the left side of my car in a slight fender bender. No frame or suspension damage, just body panels. Went to a body shop that specializes in fiberglass,SMC,plastic etc. You cannot even tell the car was damaged.No need for a complete repaint. Just a reputable shop!!!!!

In our yellow pages we have tons of body shops but I don't see one that specializes in plastics etc. :confused:

supratime

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The paint does not match and it was brand new? So the paint came that way from the factory? Is that even possible? The dealer should compensate you for this if this issue was not disclosed

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You should get every pennies of what you paid for if you're going to "buy back" route. Then again not sure about it on Montana. :eek: Good luck.

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doesn't surprise me that this happened. Look at who you bought the car from.

OP
OP
M

Muzz B Yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is hard to believe. Doesn't Dupont ship to Montana?

Looks like the dealer in Bozeman Montana has a new state of the art body shop.. spoke with the manager and he feels they can do the job. Only problem they are 200 miles away.