drivers door entry problem

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tonight for no apparent reason my 2001 RT drivers door electronic entry stopped working(not a keyless just the standard button outside and latch inside)
The passenger door still works fine which initially turned me away from thinking the control module.
Neither the outside button nor the inside handle will work.
Prelim troubleshooting I cannot see any voltage coming from the control module to the doorlatch solenoid. Operating the inside handle or outside button causes a pulsing relay sound in the control module.
Next step is to try and put 12v on that solenoid and rule it out of the equation.

Has anyone seen this one before?
Any ideas?
I am starting to think it is the control module, maybe it is shot one side..

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've heard trapped/cut cables where they leave the body and enter the door by the hinges is usually the problem, I'd check there first, open the door and pull back the rubber cover

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im having the same problem right now! I talked to Mark Jorgenson yesterday and he also suggested the wires in the boot between the door and the Jam.

Try putting your key in the ignition and opening the door.
Mine works with the key in , and does not with the key out.

OP
OP
K

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found the problem.
Wire in the rubber boot between the door and the jam.
It was the BL/RD wire which is one side of the door latch solenoid. It was completely snapped, like it had been cut.
AMong if you need any help PM me. I am quite experienced at this now.
Thanks to all for advise given.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm up to something like 7 (9?) wires that have broken in my chassis-to-door wiring harness. One of them prevented the outside door button from working (inside worked fine). I'm sure one of the others (return line from the EEM) would disable the latch release completely.

As I'm having such poor luck with the door wiring, I went ahead and picked up a replacement complete wiring harness from the local Dodge dealer. Even with club discount (25% off?), it was almost $400 for the harness. At least, the next time one of the wires breaks, I'll be ready to just replace the whole thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave