Driving Viper From NYC to Miami Florida

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im thinking about driving the viper from New York City to Miami FL down I95 on Tuesday and back Monday for work the weekend of Aug 26th. Was wondering if anyone has driven for 1300 miles non stop in their viper and what was their experience with it? Any issues like over heating, back pains, leg cramps??? :usa:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven long distances in the Viper. I felt the seating was pretty comfortable. But 1300 miles non-stop is always tough. It's about 18-22 hours. I recommend you do take a break. You'll also enjoy the drive better. NC, SC, GA and FL are all 70mph states.

My worst problem was I used to place my left elbow on the door grip while holding the steering wheel and my elbow would go to sleep.

The lack of a dead pedal didn't make a difference since I'm 5'9" and skinny and have sufficient space to place my left foot.

I just drove to St Augustine, FL (1000 miles) and the roads were pretty good all the way. Enjoy the drive!

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove to VOI 7(Nashville)from west central Florida, the ONLY issue was my right foot got sore trying to keep Viper within the speed limits of each state. Since then I had Larry Macedo install a cruise control(remote control...NO wires thru firewall) and that is the ticket or should I say the way NOT to get tickets.

Cudaman :usa:

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D,like I said at e-town I drove to SC from NY in 11 hrs and only stop for gas and quick snacks. The drive was awesome the music blasting people killing themselfs to see the car. If I wasn't working I would take the ride with you and with that said GO FOR IT D...*** BLK

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twin that's the only time I didn't go just wanted to ride around and enjoy the car. Remember the deal you start back going to the gym and I want be a POSER. See you pal. *** BLK

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1300 miles nonstop in any car will beat you up a bit, Viper or Mercedes, it wouldn't matter if you sat in between a pair of breasts the whole way.

I've made the drive many times, take my word on the breasts.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Viper all the way from NC to Saskatchewan in Canada. That was about 2000 miles. It took 4 days and wasn't bad at all. The Viper drives great and even though I'm 6'4" my back didn't complain. I just needed to get out of the car to stretch my legs once in a while.

I just think your biggest concern is the speed. Because it's a long trip and you might get a bit bored (I now I did) and it is so tempting to drive fast. So either watch carefully for the police or buy a radar detector. My Valentine1 saved me many times.

So my experience says.. drive the car!! No problem..
Have fun

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
picked up my viper from woodhouse and drove back in two days to NJ last july.

this march I drove from NNJ to palm beach and siesta key in two days with absolutely no problems at all. the car was comfortable to me and had ZERO problems with heat,cooling etc....first stop was in southern GA. then the next early AM took off to south floriduh.

JUST DO IT !

averaged 24.1 MPG from nebraska to here and 23.8 MPG from NJ to Floriduh.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i went with my father to pick up his RT/10 at Roe Racing in Jacksonville about 2yrs ago. We drove it back to CT. I think around 1300 miles.

It was a great time. Car was not uncomfortable at all.

Go for it!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sold my 98 on Friday to a fellow in Chicago. He drove the 800 miles straight. I know all aches pains and discomfort were probably not noticed as the joy of being a new Viper owner washed all that away.

When I drove it only 3.5 hours when I bought it with 50psi in the tires (from winter storage) it was like riding on a one horse buckboard and was a real killer (but then again I have a cervical disc problem).

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did 1150 miles non-stop each way from West Palm Beach to Canton, Ohio last summer. When I say non-stop, I mean no overnighters, just fuel and food and made it in 16 hrs.
Was a very comfortable ride and the only drawback was finding a good place for your right foot while operating the go pedal. I found I could kind of wedge my shoe on the side of the gas pedal with the tunnel. Worked well in light traffic. I say go for it, it will be a memorable trip for you.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traveling across the states in a Viper is truly an American dream for most guys. I notice outside of NY you start getting more positive comments and compliments. Its such a great ride on the open highway but a horrible one when stuck in traffic. I wish I was going for the ride.
Hell I would drive behind you just to hear the B&B exhaust the whole way down. Anyone on this forum that has never had the chance to experience driving with several vipers at once doesn't know what they are missing.

I never get bored of this car.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the issue? 1300 miles at 130MPH = 10 hours plus the small amount of time it takes to get to speed; gas stops and bathroom stops. Food? A few power bars should do it. On a more serious note, make sure to check your air conditioning system before you leave. It is very humid and hot down here! In fact, you might want to consider traveling at night - less traffic, cooler and cruising music always sounds better at night. Once you reach Stuart change over to the Florida Turnpike to avoid some construction on I-95 a bit south of there. You can get back on I-95 farther south in Miami.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be a lot of driving. It could be fun but you might get tired of the Viper after a while. It is totally up to you but personally I would not do it, especially alone.

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D,
What Tim said. Most fun we ever had. Would do it again in a second. Go for it and have fun. Never knew so many folks had cameras and camcorders in their vehicles ready to go. I95 south of DC is very Viper friendly - lots and lots of :2tu:

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could make that kind of haul. Sounds like it would be a nice trip. Just break it up a few days.

-Lou

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of coarse F355 you would never do it alone, mostly because you may encounter spacial processing difficulties regarding time estimates, distances. Also you need someone to drive with you because what fun would it be if they weren't there to loose in heavy traffic while going 90mph. Only busting your chops. Where were you on Sunday?

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 6500 miles to VOI5, sightseeing along the way, over 21 days. It was an epic journey for me.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check mapquest.com for a better route. I always drive I-77 and I-81 instead of I-95. That road is pure hell for vacationers in RV's and slow drivers blocking the left lane. I-81/I-77 is beautiful mountains and NO CITIES. Of course, I usually end up in Binghamton, which is a good distance from the NYC area. I think I-78 goes from the city to Harrisburg. On the southern end, in Columbia SC, I-26 leads you back to I-95. Mapquest shows 22 hours through the mountains vs 20.5 hours on 95. It may be worth the extra 1.5 hours to avoid the stress and possible bumper to bumper stuff?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you time it right, there wont be any traffic.

ya just have to get south of richmond, then ya can make real good time the rest of the way. just watch for cops in GA.....!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D-
All I can say is I drove from NY to St. Louis to VOI 6. That was 18 hours. Went pretty much straight through. Comfort not a problem, but storage for bags and other stuff I picked up on the way back was a little cramped. You going alone, okay, nobody to complain, do what you want, as fast as you want, doze when you want. With a friend it'll be a different story. With a girlfriend, no way in hell I'd ever think about it.

Andrew