Drove a Vette Today for the first time.

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me and my girl were out car shopping today(for her) and we ended up at the chevy place. They didn't have any Z06's but had 4 new C6's in the showroom. They said they had 7 Z06s that had came in so far but were all presold. Anyways, we were there for my girl to test drive an SSR, which she liked the exterior, ride, and power, but hated the interior and lack of options. She then decided to test drive a C6 vert which was loaded out, was an automatic and price was like 62k MSRP. Of course we had to go through a song and dance for them to let my girl drive it until I told the salesperson what cars I owned. My woman liked it so I decided to drive it since I had never driven one before, and I wanted to see why so many people buy them. (I see like 10 a day) My thoughts compared to my Viper were as follows:

I know these are things most of you know already.

-Looks don't even compare, Vette looks like a Viper wannabe in that department.
-Vette felt a lot less cramped (im 6'5") I could also see the stop lights out of the windshield without having to duck down when Im the first one waiting at a light.
-Vette had way more options, but the interior just looked cheap compared to the Viper. Viper seats were more supportive.
-Vette's ride was infinitely better. I feel like I'm in a paint shaker when I drive the Viper. (need motons I guess and some non run flats)
-The Vette felt lighter, brakes were a little weaker though. Viper has the best brakes of any car Ive ever driven. It's like hitting a brick wall when you stop hard.
-The Vette pulled pretty hard when I floored it on the freeway. So much easier to drive, since I didnt have to worry about killing myself if I dropped down to a gear that was too low. Power wasn't as good as the Viper obviously.
-Vette was way quieter, exhaust and road noise.

Verdict: I liked the Vette more than I thought I would, but I could never have a car that I saw 10 of a day. It's a great value, but not as much fun to drive as the Viper. It's a much better commuter car, the Viper is more of a toy. Needless to say my woman is not getting a vette.

I have to admit I'm growing tired of the insanely rough ride of my Viper. If it's as simple as a Moton + tire upgrade, I may be convinced to keep it long term. Anyone who has the moton upgrade, want to offer up some details or comparisons about the ride? I would really like to do some major upgrades to my Viper (major power, suspension, traction control, etc) but would hate to spend all that time and money and still have that harsh ride, and feel unsafe at the car's limits. What can I say, I guess my 625 hp 745 tq, smooth riding, heavily optioned, SL600 has spoiled me. :)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great post, I have always said the vette is a bargin. I do not understand the harsh ride though. I have driven race cars all my life, and believe me, they give new meaning to the word harsh. The viper is a streetable race car that has had the ride somewhat detuned from that of a race car. We bought it because we wanted as close to a race car on the street as possible. Why would anyone want to turn it into the corvette"s ride quality? Just my worthless openion.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing a Viper to a SL600 in the comfort category just isnt fair :p . I'm one of the weird guys who doesnt really mind a bumpy ride b/c it does give you more of the racecar feel. That being said, my Viper rides relatively smooth. Or maybe its actually really bad and bumpy and I'm just blinded by the love I have of the car :2tu:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My daily ride is a 06 GS430 Lexus. So I understand how you feel. Coming from total comfort and then driving the bad ass growling V10 Viper it takes a few moments to adjust. But for me I am floating so high in the Viper the ride seems pretty smooth to me. I drove the Vette also, very vanilla. I wanna hear and feel the beast thats why I love my Viper

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, has no one here heard of or seen the forum we have here called 'Driven'? Why post a thread titled 'Drove a Vette for the first time today', in the SRT section? Its NOT a Viper. :rolleyes: I swear, either some of you cant read, or you're too lazy to scroll down to the next section.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Drove a Vette for the first time today', in the SRT section? Its NOT a Viper.

He's comparing it to the Viper remember? He said the Viper is just to rough riding for him. He wants a car that isn't so hard to drive. Like maybe...a Vette, or a luxury car like his SL600, Caddy or Infinity.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He's comparing it to the Viper remember? He said the Viper is just to rough riding for him. He wants a car that isn't so hard to drive. Like maybe...a Vette?

Yea, but the Viper was a blurb in his post. All I read was "Vette this", Vette that", "blah blah blah"...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He's comparing it to the Viper remember? He said the Viper is just to rough riding for him. He wants a car that isn't so hard to drive. Like maybe...a Vette?

Yea, but the Viper was a blurb in his post. All I read was "Vette this", Vette that", "blah blah blah"...

I hear ya. That's all anybody sees on this board anymore.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I see a post that starts out "Me and my girl were....." I lose interest. It makes me wonder how many people took English in school (or passed it).

I agree, get rid of the Viper and drive your more comfortable cars!

Bob K

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I didn’t mean to come off as if I have to have a super soft ride. I love my Viper; it has always been my dream car. I was just surprised to find that the Vette, which corners almost as good as a Viper, have so much less of a harsh ride. Even my comfortable riding CTS-V 4 door sedan that I traded in on my Viper was getting a .90 on the skid pad compared to the Vipers 1.00. I definitely do not want a Vette.

Austin: I mainly posted in this section, because I thought maybe some others might want to know what all the fuss was about with Vettes because it seems like all I hear is how everyone sees a ton a day everywhere. Also it was to get some feedback about moton upgrades on Vipers.

Atro Racing: You are 100% correct. Although I think most people who own Vipers would prefer a little less harsh ride if cornering performance isn't affected.

Chuck: Thanks for the reply. My problem is I like to take a car to its limits on the street. I feel that I’m a decent driver (aggressive), as I have smoked every Vette (along with everything else) I have came in contact with. (I haven’t come across a new Z06 yet) I just find myself holding back sometimes because I know that I have nothing saving me, like traction control.

Anyone who has the traction control installed on their SRT-10, I would appreciate any detailed feedback or comparisons to other cars traction control you could offer.

I just think that maybe with a moton suspension upgrade and maybe ditching the run flats, (along with power upgrades) I could have the Viper I really want. I would appreciate any detailed feedback from those who have motons.

Thanks.

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for the correction Bob K. You are indeed correct. I think if you read the rest of my posts you will find that I don't have much trouble with English.

Since you obviously have taken it upon yourself to be the grammar police, I expect a full page report on my desk each morning with all the grammatical errors posted on this forum. We will all sleep better at night, knowing there is someone we can count on to keep us in line.

I never said I wanted to get rid of my Viper; I just want to make it better like most people on this forum. I also wanted to share my thoughts and experience for those who might find it beneficial.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should really get to a track, I'm afraid I'll be hooked once I do. :)

Do it or I'm going to call you a pansy every time you post. :)

Seriously, you're right in the middle of Viper Days territory. You should hit a couple events. VIR is awesome.

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the run flats but that didn't make much of a difference. I run the Moton's with the compression damping set on "0" and the rebound damping set on "3" although I'm going to try "2". This setup gives an improved ride and tracking on the street. Upgraded sway bars help too.
Viperdays is definately addictive. I fell in so deep I bought a racecar. :eek: :rolleyes:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, has no one here heard of or seen the forum we have here called 'Driven'? Why post a thread titled 'Drove a Vette for the first time today', in the SRT section? Its NOT a Viper. :rolleyes: I swear, either some of you cant read, or you're too lazy to scroll down to the next section.

Well, talk to the lazy webmasters here. I've been complaining about their page and menu layout for months, but they can't seem to add "Driven" to the pulldown "Forums" menu in any given length of time. The only way to get to Driven is if you go to the main forum page first. Most people go straight to gen1-2 or 3, then navigate from the Forums pulldown menu.

That on top of the poor speeds here makes this process really disappointing at times. Yeah, I should complain in the forum marked for website issues, but they never read that. I mean, the menu issue should take no more than 10 minutes to fix. Why add a new topic if you make it hard for people to find it? :rolleyes:

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me and my girl were out car shopping today(for her) and we ended up at the chevy place. They didn't have any Z06's but had 4 new C6's in the showroom. They said they had 7 Z06s that had came in so far but were all presold. Anyways, we were there for my girl to test drive an SSR, which she liked the exterior, ride, and power, but hated the interior and lack of options. She then decided to test drive a C6 vert which was loaded out, was an automatic and price was like 62k MSRP. Of course we had to go through a song and dance for them to let my girl drive it until I told the salesperson what cars I owned. My woman liked it so I decided to drive it since I had never driven one before, and I wanted to see why so many people buy them. (I see like 10 a day) My thoughts compared to my Viper were as follows:

I know these are things most of you know already.

-Looks don't even compare, Vette looks like a Viper wannabe in that department.
-Vette felt a lot less cramped (im 6'5") I could also see the stop lights out of the windshield without having to duck down when Im the first one waiting at a light.
-Vette had way more options, but the interior just looked cheap compared to the Viper. Viper seats were more supportive.
-Vette's ride was infinitely better. I feel like I'm in a paint shaker when I drive the Viper. (need motons I guess and some non run flats)
-The Vette felt lighter, brakes were a little weaker though. Viper has the best brakes of any car Ive ever driven. It's like hitting a brick wall when you stop hard.
-The Vette pulled pretty hard when I floored it on the freeway. So much easier to drive, since I didnt have to worry about killing myself if I dropped down to a gear that was too low. Power wasn't as good as the Viper obviously.
-Vette was way quieter, exhaust and road noise.

Verdict: I liked the Vette more than I thought I would, but I could never have a car that I saw 10 of a day. It's a great value, but not as much fun to drive as the Viper. It's a much better commuter car, the Viper is more of a toy. Needless to say my woman is not getting a vette.

I have to admit I'm growing tired of the insanely rough ride of my Viper. If it's as simple as a Moton + tire upgrade, I may be convinced to keep it long term. Anyone who has the moton upgrade, want to offer up some details or comparisons about the ride? I would really like to do some major upgrades to my Viper (major power, suspension, traction control, etc) but would hate to spend all that time and money and still have that harsh ride, and feel unsafe at the car's limits. What can I say, I guess my 625 hp 745 tq, smooth riding, heavily optioned, SL600 has spoiled me. :)

I don't know what to think about this post. If you really want more comfort and less harsh ride, then the viper really isn't for you. I think you want the recognition and attention a viper gives, but without the total viper experience. :(

OP
OP

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I don't know what to think about this post. If you really want more comfort and less harsh ride, then the viper really isn't for you. I think you want the recognition and attention a viper gives, but without the total viper experience."

I guess I'm just like everyone else out there who wants to improve their Viper experience whether it be power, suspension, or cosmetic.

I saw my First 2006 Z06 Vette today on the freeway.(yellow) I could barely tell the difference between it and the regular C6. Sure it has the emblem on the side and a sorry excuse for a hoodscoop on the hood. I was in my Cayenne Turbo, and I tried to get him to go, but he was having none of it. Guess he didn't want to risk getting spanked by a 500 HP SUV in front of his woman that he probably had to spend hours convincing to let him buy it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm just like everyone else out there who wants to improve their Viper experience whether it be power, suspension, or cosmetic.

Not exactly. Viper purists (those who "get" the Viper experience) don't consider a "less harsh ride" an "improvement."

vipermansrt04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I see a post that starts out "Me and my girl were....." I lose interest. It makes me wonder how many people took English in school (or passed it).

I agree, get rid of the Viper and drive your more comfortable cars!

Bob K
You had me until you tried to be the grammer police , what a *****!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Austin, I for one, hate all the different forums. It's endless. Too lazy to scroll down? Not lazy, just can't be bothered. How about we have a section for meaningless, annoying, f-ing questions? Lord knows we have enough of those, like whoever keeps posting those "stats" questions. How many people do this, how many people do that, saw this, saw that, use this, use that. Who the F cares ? I'd swear someone is writing a book.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. Hey, there is another forum! A place to Vent !

AC

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Austin, I for one, hate all the different forums. It's endless. Too lazy to scroll down? Not lazy, just can't be bothered. How about we have a section for meaningless, annoying, f-ing questions? Lord knows we have enough of those, like whoever keeps posting those "stats" questions. How many people do this, how many people do that, saw this, saw that, use this, use that. Who the F cares ? I'd swear someone is writing a book.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest. Hey, there is another forum! A place to Vent !

AC

Andrew, Im going to have to agree with you. Have you been over to www.srtforums.com ? Click HERE and check out how many forums they have. It'll take you all day to scroll down through all of their forums.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is SICK! If I hit the lottery and had nothing to do with my time I still wouldn't spend 5 minutes looking at that SRT site. If I came up with the SRT name I couldn't care less about all those forums. But to each his own.

AC

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're thinking of going Motons + bigger wheels that's going to equal a harsher ride because the sidewalls will be smaller and stiffer. If you're thinking just Motons with stock wheels/PS2's, you will have a more controlled ride and the ability to dial down stiffness whenever you want. Pretty neat setup. I'm another one who LOVES a stiffly sprung ride, but I can understand where you're coming from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets