"Dry" wheel cleaning, is there a safe way to do this??

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Im sure many do on this board. I spend a few hours washing my car after every few rides. But I just donthave time to do this after every ride.. I go over the paint "very" lightly with a california car duster after every ride, which works well.. You dont have to rub, it just picks the dust "up" off the paint..The wheels are another story.

In between washes, the wheels get a "light" brake dust coating on them VERY quickly.. I could literally drive 20 miles, and have a coating on them...

Is there a "safe" way to keep up with this in between washes, without getting the hose out?

I see Mequiars now sells a quick detailer for wheels. Is this safe to use? Or do I just need to put a hose/soap to it, after every ride??

The 5-spoke wheels on the SRT seem VERY sensitive to scratches. Much more than the GTS..

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The regular detailer works great. Wheels and paint.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the sapphire blue and I can tell you there is no towel or dusting device that will not leave some kind of mark depending on pressure applied. the same would go for clear coated wheels,although many of the marks that show up on a dark color will not show up on the wheels or lighter colors.I would either get use to the hose or change brake pads to reduce the dust.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use my "old" california duster on the wheels. Works great!

By a new one every season and rotate the old one to the wheels. Easy.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the sapphire blue and I can tell you there is no towel or dusting device that will not leave some kind of mark depending on pressure applied. the same would go for clear coated wheels,although many of the marks that show up on a dark color will not show up on the wheels or lighter colors.I would either get use to the hose or change brake pads to reduce the dust.

yeah:( those were my thoughts as well..

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the regular Meguiars quick detailer. It is fast and make the wheels shine like I just washed them. I keep a bottle in the back for when I drive to a show or something. It also works great to get rid of the bugs off the front. Just make sure you have a seperate towel just for the wheels, it will be black from the dust.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the inner rims; I stick fiber cloths through the spokes and drive about 100 yards at 25mph; the spinning action cleans the inners pretty well. I spray a mist of detailer liquid on the cloths. This only works if you have light brake dust after a drive. I do this after each drive...

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a small micro fiber duster with just a "hint" of Meguire's Ultimate Quick Detailer on it after every ride. I buy those little yellow microfiber dusters on a stick at Shuck's a dozen at a time and when one gets dirty I toss it and get out a new one. I go thru about 6 a year.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dry cleaning is the best IMO. A hose rarely sees my car.

throw away that califoniaduster thing and Start using QuickDetailer with a microfiber on the paint. you will love the results. EagleOne wipe&Shine is currently my Fav QD.

for the wheels. first wipe the excess brake dust off with a DRY microfiber. then spray a little QuickDetailer on them and wipe with the clean side. Also a good coat of Synthetic wax on the wheels once a month will help.

I am a QD fiend, using it every to everyother day. I rarely have to bucketwash my car because it is Always clean. I actually use so much that i started watering it down 50/50. Still provides the same shine&protection!

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dry cleaning is the best IMO. A hose rarely sees my car.

throw away that califoniaduster thing and Start using QuickDetailer with a microfiber on the paint. you will love the results. EagleOne wipe&Shine is currently my Fav QD.

for the wheels. first wipe the excess brake dust off with a DRY microfiber. then spray a little QuickDetailer on them and wipe with the clean side. Also a good coat of Synthetic wax on the wheels once a month will help.

I am a QD fiend, using it every to everyother day. I rarely have to bucketwash my car because it is Always clean. I actually use so much that i started watering it down 50/50. Still provides the same shine&protection!

Thats what I would prefer as well... Doing this worked fine on my GTS. But the SRT wheels are VERY sensitive.. It puts "very light" scratches in them, doing this..

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I go thru about 30 of these every month. I use them on the interior, the engine, and the wheels. Gets expensive but if I was worried about money, I'd drive a Yaris.

You must be registered for see images attach

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go thru about 30 of these every month. I use them on the interior, the engine, and the wheels. Gets expensive but if I was worried about money, I'd drive a Yaris.

Great idea.....I am going to try that. BTW even if I worried about money you'd never catch me in a Yaris....what a POS. :)

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do the same, I buy a bunch of micro fiber towels every time Im at Auto store. I slowly recycle the old ones from the paint to the wheels. I rarley wash my car with soap water, unless it gets really dirty.

Otherwise its qucik detailer and a microfiber on the paint before every drive. I use eagle one 20/20 on the glass and then I sprya quick detailer on wheels too, sometimes Ill use the wax spray alos on the paint and wheels from eagle one. Car always looks clean.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I get back from a ride I use my "4.0 detailers" vac. Place the "cone" attachment on the end of the hose. A shop vac in reverse will work also, just be sure nothing is in the filter because it will be "shot" at your car when you turn the vac on. For the best results do a good clean and wax on the wheels first. "Claying" the wheels works great to clean the wheels before waxing them. When they are clean and waxed the first time, the dust blows right off. One other hint from experience, don't let the dust sit on the wheels overnight. The heat from the dust will get "embedded" in the wheel and be more difficult to get off.

A cotton "polishing cloth" wrapped around a soft paint brush works great to keep from scratching the wheels and makes them shine. You can easily get into and clean the small crevices in the wheel as the cotton cloth wrapped brush conforms to the surface. I use a spray of water on the cloth followed by polishing with detail spray. This process just takes just a minute once the original cleaning and polishing is done.

I also use the vac method to dry my car after I use water to wash it. With the current condition my car's paint is in I can literally dry my car completely without using a mf towel. Another aspect of "blow drying" your car is that you get to all those water "pockets" that always seem to show up and leak out after you move the car.

One last thing that helped... EBC "green" brake pads.

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive tried them all The best product I have found is Wolfgang Spritz detailing spray with a Microfiber towel The wheels look great no scratches great shine. The Wolfgang paint sealer I apply first 2 to 3 times a year,and in between use the spritz spray.Periodically I will wash with P21S wheel cleaner I will dry with a leaf blower then use the spritz spray with a microfiber towel wheel look great

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, I drive a Yaris, 42MPG! :D Too bad I drive my Viper more! :headbang:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will use those wet disposable Glosser towels that they sell for paint. They are pretty wet so they do not scratch. Sometimes it will take 2 to get them looking great if they are real dirty.

I will do the above between washes sometimes but usually just use soap and water if they are real dirty and I also want to clean the barrels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang