Dump the ACR belts please!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, that is a shocker. I bet alot of drivers are not aware of this and thanks for letting us all know. Sure would make sense to have Dodge put in a " D " rated belt , as it can't be much of a cost factor. Hopefully your astute mention of this will help orchestrate a change. Dodge has been awfully good when it comes to making a serious track car, so this hopefully will get changed in the future. One even wonders if Dodge knows about this, since the belts are outsourced and maybe no one has notified them of the difference between a " C " and " D " designation.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was stunned this AM to hear the FIA-spec ACR belt does not 'translate' into an SCCA sanctioned belt!

I forwarded the earlier info to Team Viper (headed by an SCCA racer who is V E R Y familiar with tech-shed compliance!)

To answer, TeamTech belts meet SFI-16-1

SHROTH, AT ONLY 2" WIDE,probably do NOT meet 16-1

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jon,
Pardon my ignorance, but do I understand your post to say our ACR belts are SCCA legal? Just need some clarification. PS are the same specs on the 2K ACR the same as the 01 belt specs?
Thanks
Bob Carroll

OP
OP

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To clarify...it appears (today) that the ACR 5 point belts are NOT legal for SCCA club racing. Look on the sub belt for a tag with an FIA number. If it is FIA C-154.T/98 it is NOT legal in SCCA and further more not legal anymore with FIA. It is wierd that the FIA specs were updated today.
http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html

If you are not club racing in SCCA it doesn't matter. They are Momo belts and are fine. The SCCA looks for everything and this is nothing more than a rule book issue.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not reading this properly, but isn't the below statement just specifically denying those particular exact products certification?

IMPORTANT

For safety reasons, please note that the homologation of the following harnesses, whatever their validity deadlines, is withdrawn with immediate effect.

Momocorse srl (Italy)
6 PUNTI FORMULA
FIA D-142.T/98

RALLY LUSSO 3"
FIA B-143.T/98

CINTURA 3" 6 P.TI
FIA D-153.T/98

CINTURA 3" 5 P.TI
FIA C-154.T/98

Confezioni LRF Ditta Ind. (Italy)
6 PUNTI FORMULA
FIA D-140.T/98

RALLY LUSSO 3"
FIA B-141.T/98

PROFESSIONALE 3"
FIA C-151.T/98

PROFESSIONALE 3"
FIA D-152.T/98

As these harnesses can no longer be considered to comply with the standards FIA 8853/98 and 8854/98, their use is prohibited in all cases in which compliance with the above-mentioned standards is mandatory.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting point, but just how many ACRs are being used for SCCA club racing? Remember that you will also need a cage, window net and more to go club racing. It seems to me that most race cars are standard GTS (often salvage recovery from a wreck) to get the base car inexpensive before turning it into a race car.

Keith

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ACR is a term born in SCCA Racing: American Club Racer...ironic if the ACR belts eventually end up and remain as non-spec !

1) I have yet to get a reply from SVE / TV, but it has only been a day.

2) The SCCA translation (today!) of the ACR belt certif is that they are NOT legal in SCCA-sanctioned races. Other sanctioning bodies (ICSCC, IHRA, NHRA, Viper Days,) do appear to accept them.

3) In my opinion, the jury is still out on FIA. The belt code is 'assumed' and not specific enuf. ...our Euro Friends will have to see.

4) As far as D-C 'making it right'....what would be right ? If you have an SCCA-sanctioned license, are racing a Viper ACR in T-1, and have a "rejected" tech sheet, then let's work together to try and figure something out? Meanwhile, can I interest you in a new harness ?!? {tnx 99t1}

JonB

OP
OP

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about I send DC a copy of my national competition license and the new log book (by the way my 01 ACR is only legal in SCCA after 5/1/01) I get from my annual tech to prove the car is being used for T1 and then DC reimburses me for the belts I had to purchase from Partsrack to replace the Momos.

That would be fair to me.

Reaction score
I think a special thanks needs to go out to 99t1 after reading
the recall notice.. "The harnesses may not meet the voluntary load specifications set forth by the FIA (Federation Internationale DE L'Automobile), which oversees racing safety."
99t1 may have saved a life ^5

Jeff01onorder

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Notwithstanding the "racing recall" announced today, the following is the detailed answer to the first question in re the SCCA legality of certain ACR belt systems:

"My understanding of this issue is that SCCA requires belts certified to SFI Specification 16.1 or FIA #8853/1985. Both the SFI and FIA standards are applicable to 5 or 6 point harnesses.

"The Viper 5 point harness is certified to FIA Standard 8853/98. Thus, the Viper ACR harness would be accepted at an SCCA event, unless the event mandates the use of a 6 point harness.

"The background for the above conclusion is detailed below.

"SCCA 2001 Pro Racing Regulations require ...

"All driver restraint systems shall meet SFI Specifications 16.1., and shall bear a dated 'SFI Spec 16.1.', label.

...'Driver restraint systems complying with FIA specification #8853/1985, including amendment 1/92 may be used.'

Reference page GCR - 158, Paragraph 8

SFI Specification 16.1 is applicable to 5 and 6 point Driver Restraint Assemblies.

Reference SFI Specification 16.1 Effective: December 1, 1995, Paragraph 2.1 and 2.5.

The following information was obtained from the FIA web site:

FIA Standard 8853/98 is applicable to 5 and 6 point Safety Harnesses, while 8854/98 is applicable to 4 point harnesses. Although I do not have standard #8853/1985, I found this information:

'* All such harnesses homologated by the FIA and produced from 1.1.98 must comply with these standards (8853/98 and 8854/98), but drivers may use old harnesses homologated in accordance with FIA standards 8854-1991 or 8853-1985 until 31.12.2000. These old homologated harnesses will retain their original labelling and are not therefore concerned by this document."

" *As from 1.1.2001, all the harnesses used in competition must comply with these standards."

The FIA Homologation Number for Viper 5 Point Belts for ACR units currently being produced:

FIA C-154.T/98

C=for a harness with 5 straps in contact with the driver

B=for a harness with 4 straps in contact with the driver

D=for a harness with 6 straps in contact with the driver

154= Number given by the FIA

T=for a buckle which opens by turning

P=for a buckle with a push button opening system

98=Year of reference of the standard to which the harness is homologated

I trust this will provide the information you need."

FYi & review.
best!
// DCR SENDS //

JonB, this instruction was aimed at your eMails Inside, as well.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Dan !

I appreciate your reply on the VCA site to the E-mails I forwarded earlier. Under 24 hours......What a company!
SCCA GCRs are a maze of confusing fine print..and I still remain a bit confused.

I hope that 99ti Morgan, who began this question and thread, has some comfort in this, and can "straighten out" the SCCA Chief of Tech. Unknown at this writing (by me, anyway!) is how the Reuter's story on the Racing Belt Recall will pan out...

99t1, if this changes SCCA's mind (or yours!) we will happily cancel the expedited Team Tech order..(but you would love em anyway, and so would any passenger!)

OP
OP

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

(sorry this is long)

DCR,

Thanks for the prompt reply to my inquiry. Let me preface by saying I have no idea what SCCA "Pro" Racing requires and I have never seen their GCR. I raised this issue only for SCCA "Club" Racing T1 class and it's 2001GCR. Judging by page numbers both books might have the same text in many sections.

Have you ever stood in a tech shed during an annual tech at 8am wondering if you will make your qualifying session at 8:30? If you have, then you know how picky these tech inspectors are. Last year I had to replace a perfectly good window net because it did not have any SFI or FIA label at all.

It is very simple with the SCCA. They "physically look at the label on the belt." Does the 01 ACR belt have an SFI 16.1 label or not? See enclosed picture.
NO.

Does it have an FIA 8853/98 label or not? See enclosed picture.
NO.
Just because you say on this forum “The Viper 5 point harness is certified to FIA Standard 8853/98” doesn’t mean that it actually is without a proper label.

Does it have an FIA C-154.T/98 label or not?
YES. See enclosed picture.

Is this belt "as marked FIA C-154.T/98" legal in SCCA Club racing as of my conversation with Sven Pruitt (Chief of SCCA tech 303-694-7222) on 3/15/01 or not?
NO. Sorry no picture.

If you have it, please now turn to page 159 of the 2001Club Racing GCR.

I don't think Mr. Pruitt has any reason to give me the wrong information and I urge you to call him to confirm this. Remember he is the Chief Justice in the Supreme Court of the SCCA tech. As Mr. Pruitt said, the "C" needs to be a "D" in the FIA number. I agree that this C vs. D and 5 vs. 6 doesn't make much sense to me but that's what he said and further I think you will find this quite clear if you finish reading section 20.8 on page 159 which reads "FIA restraint systems with certification "D-###.T/98" are equal to FIA specifications 8853/98 and 8854/98 and are therefore acceptable restraint systems." That's a D not a C. Mr. Pruitt and the GCR are consistent.

I appreciate your FIA website data, but most SCCA tech inspectors don't give two sh#ts if they don't see the correct label...you fail.

To make matters worse, why would you say on this forum that the ACR belts "would be accepted at an SCCA event"...especially after looking at the FIA site (see URL above) and seeing that they are not even FIA legal anymore for SAFETY REASONS! I personally think they are probably ok belts but I didn't update the FIA website yesterday and I didn't put out a press release today.

The bs stops on Mr. Pruitt's desk. Maybe you play golf with him and can say "Hey Sven why don't ya fix that pesky FIA number C and D certification stuff and just publish a blurb in the next technical bulletin that the labels on ACR belts don't matter so our ACRs are ok"…and maybe he will do it. Maybe more FIA data needs to be presented to him and the whole matter reviewed as JonB says but that’s not the issue here and now.

However it turns out, I will keep my order with JonB for new belts with the SFI 16.1 label because I'm sure this recall will be a drawn out process. The best for everybody would be if DC issued the AMERICAN "belts of the moment" Teamtech as replacements.

I mean no disrespect to you and the DC powers that be (don’t want any black Caravan’s with 5 antennas at the end of my driveway) and I do appreciate that you took the time to reply, I just happen to see things differently.

Just my .12 and my Viper is still the Coolest car on the planet!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 99t1:

I mean no disrespect to you and the DC powers that be (don’t want any black Caravan’s with 5 antennas at the end of my driveway) and I do appreciate that you took the time to reply...
/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I happen to know some of Dan's personal background, I ASSURE you he has indeed spent a lot of time in black vans with smoked windows....looking thru his Govt-issued mirrored sunglasses!

JonB ~~~~~~~~~~;&lt;~

OP
OP

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep...looks like Big Brother is always waching...seems fishy that all the posts about the ACR recall and bogus FIA belts are gone now..huh?

KEEP THIS FORUM FREE!!!