Dust cover on steering rack

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was replacing the power steering pulley on my 1997 GTS and I noticed the dust shield that covers the steering shaft connection on the rack is cracked and falling off. Is this something that can be replaced? Its made of rubber and is dried out from heat and age.

Last edited:

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had this happen on my '96 GTS. I made my own seal as I couldn't find a replacement seal. There was a post on this site a few years ago about another fix. Do a search for steering seal.

Frank

Titan1969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in need of the same item for my Gen I. Did a search here and Google but no luck. I have headers on my car so I need something more than stock as the heat is higher in this area now. I might improvise a small piece of header wrap to place on the shaft with a simple clip to hold in place just to keep dirt out. Though unless your on a dirt road, I don't see much debris getting up this high.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything appropriate to replace it with. Someone on another site suggested part of a CV boot. I looked at a few at a BAP-Geon parts store but nothing was particularly close. Mine was not too bad; so, I used some Plasti dip sold in a can at Home Depot and a brush to layer many times over the original boot. Its not "pretty" but, it isn't really a visible item.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang