Dyno shop in Colorado, 3:55 rear gear opinions.

smashman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a reliable place to get tested in the Denver area? Corsa exhaust and hi flow cats on the way and I would like to do a before and after.

Also going to a 3:55 rear gear, I'm sure this is a dumb question but forgive me I'm green, but does a 3:55 rear gear instead of a 3:07 affect HP and Torque measurements at the rear wheel?

Lastly, any feedback from those of you who have changed to a 3:55 would be greatly appreciated so I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance

2001 RT/10 YELLOW

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the thread where I gave my impression after I installed gears.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=275291&Forum=UBB14&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=275291&Search=true#Post275291

Regarding the effect on HP readings, there appears to be no clear answer. Consensus seems to be that you will dyno maybe 5-8hp lower possibly due to additional gear friction losses.

I have not dyno'd again after adding the gears and cats, but since I did them both together, it would be inconclusive anyway and in my case I figure they probably would balance each other out.

--- Ken

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speak to Jim Slater at Northglenn Dodge he might know where you can dyno your car or he might be able to do it... Report back if that works.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smashman, I've taken my Dakota to Dyno Pro Research. Their address is 5330 Tennyson St. in Denver. Phone number is 303-455-2443. They have a Dyno-Jet 248C. They have many pictures of vehicles they've dynoed. While I'm at it, can you give me any Colorado chapter VCA info like your next meeting and get togethers?

C.Thomson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live at about the same altitude as you and found this to be the best mod for the money. The car feels just like a stock one at sea-level. It must be wild at sea-level!! You do lose top end (I think my max speed is now around 170, based on the tach) but its well worth it. I might have suffered some HP loss, but my 1/4 mile times were a few 10ths better.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper Club uses: Dyno-Pro, 5330 Tennyson St. Denver, phone: 303-455-2443. Ask for Bear. This is near Sheridan & 52nd. We will likely have another dyno day next year in May or June.

Jerry Scott

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've ever driven your Viper closer to sea level, you'll know just how far down on power we altitude-challenged folks are... Something close to 15-18% (~3% per 1000 ft).

I have 3.45's and they were the 3rd best mod I've done (Roe S/C and ABS being #1 and #2) and waaaayyyy better than headers / KN's / rockers / light wt flywheel...

As Jerry says, use Dyno-Pro, he has lots of Viper experience...

And search for S. Roe's 10 dyno prep suggestions. Or maybe just call Sean, I'm sure he'd e-mail you the list. (Sorry, my copy is at home...)