Dyno'd car today

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dyno\'d car today

So my buddy set up a dyno today. I beleive it was a Dynojet 250 or something like that. I was figuring on 430-440hp. I put down 466hp with 480tq. Seemed high but it was corrected #'s on whats supposed to be a very accurate dyno. Does this seem right. And one of the guys who usually dyno's higher at another place,actually dyno'd less. So I assume its accurate.

Anyways for my buddies and my car,it is as follws.

Mine
2005 SRT-10 only mods Corsa track and RT hiflow cats, 5K miles
466hp, 480tq

My buddies
2004 SRT-10 only mods Corsa track, NO cats 9K miles
471hp, 500tq

He does have Motons and HRE's with smaller pirelli tires,but was told that wouldt affect dyno. Even though his gearing may be slightly higher.

Anyways, regardless of dyno, it was nice to see both cars at least close in power,so we know one of them isnt have a major problem,though my air/fuel was off,Im real rich. I need a DC tune. But what was really strange and may explain why he slightly pulls on me is, He has about 10-20 hp more then me thru 3-5.5k rpms. Yet when we hit near 5.5k rpm we both have about same max power.Plus he had more torque. And the only real differnce is him having NO cats. SO thought id share and see what you guys think.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Dyno\'d car today

The numbers on both cars are a bit high for mostly stock. I'd suspect that this dyno is a very "kind" one. Were tests done at sea level on a cool day?

Also, I have found that all Vipers tend to respond very well to a higher flowing exhaust system. Taking out the cats and running out the side typically adds more power than you'd think as evidenced by your buddies results.

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For what its worth, I got 462 rwhp and 481 rwtq with a the Comp Coupe exhaust, not cats and a DC tune on their rollers. I wish you were in this area. It would be interesting to see the differences in dynos. Nice numbers either way. :2tu:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The numbers on both cars are a bit high for mostly stock. I'd suspect that this dyno is a very "kind" one. Were tests done at sea level on a cool day?

I suspected the same thing...the numbers seem kind of high. However for what it's worth...there where other gen II's that ran on the same dyno the same day....

97 GTS - custom headers w/merge collector,full exhaust,T&D rockers, smooth tubes - pulled 460rwhp.

99 GTS - headers, full exhaust, mopar computer - pulled in the 430 rwhp range

96 GTS - stock - pulled 415ish rwhp

98 GTS - full bellanger headers and exhaust -pulled in the 420 rwhp range.

So those numbers didn't seem too far off what they are supossed to be do they?

Here is a graph with both my car and Mikes car.
MIKEKURTIS.jpg

It would have been nice to see a before and after on the same car, but, before the mods both cars ran equal in a race. After the mods, the catless car pulls ahead of the car with cats by a significant amount.

The car with out cats shows the biggest hp advantage from 4000 rpm to 5500 rpm. What I though was strange is the fact that both cars make roughly the same peak HP. I thought the catless car would show the biggest gain at peak HP....figure that out..???

conditions per the dyno - 84.88 degrees, 30.06 in-hg, humidity 48% and we have an elevation of about 85 feet.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Anyways for my buddies and my car,it is as follws.

Mine
2005 SRT-10 only mods Corsa track and RT hiflow cats, 5K miles
466hp, 480tq

My buddies
2004 SRT-10 only mods Corsa track, NO cats 9K miles
471hp, 500tq

He does have Motons and HRE's with smaller pirelli tires,but was told that wouldt affect dyno. Even though his gearing may be slightly higher.

Seems like a bigger difference in power than I would expect with the only difference being high flow cats vs no cats. I'm guessing your buddies car with the HREs and Pirellis is running a significantly lighter than stock wheel/tire combo. If so, it will definitely impact dyno results.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

558.67 EHP & 605.88 ETQ @ 5400 RPM's / 474.87 RWHP & 515.00 RWTQ @ 5400 RPMs

These are the numbers we got on our house test mule that is running our exhaust system with hi-flow cats and our sealed air box. Also we are running the DC tune with 170 degree thermostat. The car has the lighter copperhead wheels and non run flat tires. This was at sea level on a 60 degree day.