Early 93 Bone Stock Dyno #'s

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys took the car to the dyno yesterday to get my baseline numbers before the mods start. I did 3 runs on a dynojet machine and she made 382.90 hp and 439.69 tq. The tq was flat from 2500 to 4500rpm. They said it was running a little lean from 2500 to 4000rpm about 13.5 afm. Are gen 1's able to be reflashed without going to a vec? Or should I just look into doing injectors? The car has only 14k on her.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check with SCT at sctflash.com they should be able to help you out...

Sniper
96' GTS blue/white mods mods mods :headbang::drive:

MY600HP

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Before you do too much I'd just check and make sure your fuel pressure is OK. There's no reason it should run lean if everything is right, they weren't that way from the factory. Maybe your fuel filter is "old" or maybe their wide range O2 sensors need to be calibrated? Just a suggestion...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could just reset you PCM and it will go back to a baseline, but on a NA car, that's not too bad. To get a nice tune after the mods, go with a Vec 2!

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it bone stock or did you do exhuast and smooth tubes changing exhuast can make it run rich

It is 100% bone stock. I'm thinking I should change the fuel filter and I'm a little embarassed I didnt think about it. But thats why I'm here to find out about things I forgot to do. I'm upgrading to a ROE exhaust but only after the 1.7 rockers and head gaskets are done. I'm going to run it on the Dyno, then change the exhaust there, and run it again. Also thinking about doing the full K&N filter set up thats has the smooth tubes and heat shield.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
roe makes a great exhuast for our cars incredible sound and runs so mutch cooler to protect the side sills as far as fuel filter my car has only 3300 miles on it i have not changed the filter either shame on me im gonna do it when i put it back on the road in the spring

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you want it to make crazzzzzy torgue supercharge it !!! after driving with a s/c you will eat drink and sleep viper i garantee it!!!

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you want it to make crazzzzzy torgue supercharge it !!! after driving with a s/c you will eat drink and sleep viper i garantee it!!!

The first viper I ever drove, and drove hard, was an 02 GTS ACR ROE supercharged car. I'm very spoiled thinking a stock viper is slow because I know what these babies can do! Its not a coincidence that I own a gen 1. a super charger drops right on with no internal mods needed! :D my budget isnt going to allow me to do it this year after buying the car and doing all the repairs (check my first post introducing myself and you'll understand).

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My early 93 with just exhaust and K&N/smooth tubes dynoed at 421rwhp 491rwtq

hey same ### as i got back in the day with just exhuast and home made air intake 422rwhp 491 torgue then i installed 1.7 rollers and 708 cam and got 46 more rwhp 88 more pounds of torque gen 1 are monstors

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was your baseline numbers?(Vipzilla or Early93Viper). I've got a 95 with no mufflers, stock cats, smooth tubes, 3.73 gears and K+N filter. With the 708 cam is it still emissions legal?
Can you give us an approximate gain with just rocker arms or cams. I've been thinking about going with the rocker arms but i'm in search of some dynocharts. Plus it seems a bit confusing on which ones to get considering the price.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adding free flowing exhaust and/or removing cats leans out the mixture. More hp (less restrictive exhaust) means you need to add more gas because the higher hp requires more fuel.

Ted

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was your baseline numbers?(Vipzilla or Early93Viper). I've got a 95 with no mufflers, stock cats, smooth tubes, 3.73 gears and K+N filter. With the 708 cam is it still emissions legal?
Can you give us an approximate gain with just rocker arms or cams. I've been thinking about going with the rocker arms but i'm in search of some dynocharts. Plus it seems a bit confusing on which ones to get considering the price.

I don't have a baseline as my first dyno where with my mods. (Didn't take long for me to mod the car.) Freeing up exhaust flow you notice a big improvement on GEN Is. I have no cats and a glasspack for a muffler. Big difference and cheap! If you or someone you know is handy with a welder you could do it for around $50. Best $50 you could spend on your car.

Now passing emissions is a different discussion all together. :D No emissions testing in KS is nice. :2tu:

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My first mod is going to be the rockers by themselves and I will dyno immediatly afterwards. Tator says the mid priced 1.7 rockers (Harland Sharp) are perfect for most. The very expensive ones (Jesel) dont do anymore than the mid priced but are of a higher quality.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first mod is going to be the rockers by themselves and I will dyno immediatly afterwards. Tator says the mid priced 1.7 rockers (Harland Sharp) are perfect for most. The very expensive ones (Jesel) dont do anymore than the mid priced but are of a higher quality.

this is true i use harland sharps 1.7 and they are easier to install but you def have to replace the push rods just this mod gives you 15 to 17 rwhp proven with the 708 cam on gen 1 both mods together will give you 50 or better even before i had headers...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I installed T&D rockers only because I got them for slightly more than a set of Hardland Sharps. Many members use H.S. including members with Roe setups. You should be fine. As for pushrods, I went with Trend tapered pushrods from ViperSpecialty. If you need help with your pushrod/rocker install let me know. I still have my Trend pushrod length checker and a micrometer you're welcome to borrow. - Tony

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed T&D rockers only because I got them for slightly more than a set of Hardland Sharps. Many members use H.S. including members with Roe setups. You should be fine. As for pushrods, I went with Trend tapered pushrods from ViperSpecialty. If you need help with your pushrod/rocker install let me know. I still have my Trend pushrod length checker and a micrometer you're welcome to borrow. - Tony

Thanks Tony but the Wizard is doing the job while they do the headgaskets seeing how they're going to be in there anyways. He will mic the pushrods and I will order them from ROE and have them installed at the same time. obviously there will be some down time while Tator waits for the pushrods to come in. But thanks for being so helpful. JD

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony but the Wizard is doing the job while they do the headgaskets seeing how they're going to be in there anyways. He will mic the pushrods and I will order them from ROE and have them installed at the same time. obviously there will be some down time while Tator waits for the pushrods to come in. But thanks for being so helpful. JD

Did Chuck talk you into getting "some headwork done" while heads are off? :D Now's the time to think about some port/polish. :)

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Chuck talk you into getting "some headwork done" while heads are off? :D Now's the time to think about some port/polish. :)

We have discussed many many things and we will talk more when I drop her off. At this point because she is a Gen 1 and because I am doing forced induction in the future there is not that much that "needs" to be done to the internals of my engine. Port and polish only result in miniscual gains. I'm a "best bang for the buck" type of guy. But like I said me and Chuck will talk some more about it when I drop her off. We talk almost everyday for the past 2 months anyway. Just talked to him 30 mins ago too. :D

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first viper I ever drove, and drove hard, was an 02 GTS ACR ROE supercharged car. I'm very spoiled thinking a stock viper is slow because I know what these babies can do! Its not a coincidence that I own a gen 1. a super charger drops right on with no internal mods needed! :D quote]

No offense, but a supercharger drops 'right on' with no internal mods needed on any Viper... It's just a matter of how much boost it can handle.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ported heads are worth a lot more than "miniscule" hp. Figure cheap set at 35rwhp n/a or 50rwhp low boost. Much more for big buck heads and work. Roe ports heads as well and I understand he's reasonalby priced.

The head removal with those hugely expensive and zero hp gains - that's not a good deal. Add porting and you will actually gain hp for your thousands of dollars wroth of head gaskets and labor.

Those case iron exhaust manifolds are heavy and restrictive. Headers $1,000+ or maybe you'd like to buy my 'like new' Gen 2 stock headers?

ViperClub Classifieds - RTTTTed's Ads - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

$350 with flex and elbows.

Ted

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ported heads are worth a lot more than "miniscule" hp. Figure cheap set at 35rwhp n/a or 50rwhp low boost. Much more for big buck heads and work. Roe ports heads as well and I understand he's reasonalby priced.

The head removal with those hugely expensive and zero hp gains - that's not a good deal. Add porting and you will actually gain hp for your thousands of dollars wroth of head gaskets and labor.

Those case iron exhaust manifolds are heavy and restrictive. Headers $1,000+ or maybe you'd like to buy my 'like new' Gen 2 stock headers?

ViperClub Classifieds - RTTTTed's Ads - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

$350 with flex and elbows.

Ted

Thanks for the spelling correction! 35hp for how much $$$ to port and polish? If its reasonable I will have it done when the heads come off. I will ask Chuck tomorrow. I'll let you know about the headers too. Would be a good addition while the heads are off too.

OP
OP
M

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Chuck and for $2400 the heads could get ported with miniscule results. He said its not worth it. Also Gen 2 exhaust manifolds do not bolt up to Gen 1 heads without lots of work. He recommends Edelbrock headers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, I understood that two of the bolt holes needed to be redrilled.

The heads would make more hp than headers would. Add another $1200 for Catback and labor means about the same hp for similar money than the heads.

Both are good mods, but the heads get expensive with the Gen 1 gaskets.

Ted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD, I think unless you're going to do cam and pistons (increase/decrease compression) headwork alone on a GenI is a waste of $$$. I've had very lengthy conversations with Greg Good on GenII head work and, in my opinion, he is the master of porting Viper heads. You may want to give him a call but I'm pretty certain he'll give you similiar advice as Chuck did. BTW, check your PM.