EBC Green pads - installation question?

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - I've ordered the rear brake tool, but it's been almost a month now and it's still back ordered. So - I really want to get the EBC greens on my viper - for those that have done it before can you answer the follow? [I'm going to do it myself so please don't suggest that I have someone else do it - it shouldn't be that hard - I'm just nervous about the rear since I've never done it on a viper]:

1) Is it OK to run EBC green on the front and just keep the rear stock for now - until I get the rear tool can I just do the fronts without putting to much stress on the rear pads?

2) Do you REALLY have to have the rear brake tool (2002 RT/10)?

3) I don't understand the maintenance manual description for the rear brake. Does it actually screw down in the caliber instead of just "push"? Any insight?

I may just get tired of waiting and just go for it - but would like to get as much information as possble before I get into it.

I'm tired of the dust............

Thanks

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to do mine but I have a little (read-just enough to get me in trouble) knowledge of brakes. You can probably get the tool needed from Snap-on (or another auto tool supplier). Yes the piston does screw in-I have found them easier to do than the front 'push' type. Be sure to scuff the rotor!

Bill

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear calipers do screw in...I used the tips of needle nose pliers in either detent and twisted. Just be careful.

I have one of those "do-it-all" block type caliper wrenches and none of the sides fit the Viper.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you sand your rotors before installing the Greens.
Just scuff theme with some 120-220 emery on both sides.
You can run different pads in the rear. The fronts do most of the work anyway. The older pre 2001 pistons screw in.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) Is it OK to run EBC green on the front and just keep the rear stock for now
Yes
2) Do you REALLY have to have the rear brake tool (2002 RT/10)?
No, but it helps.
3) I don't understand the maintenance manual description for the rear brake. Does it actually screw down in the caliber instead of just "push"? Any insight?
Screws.

My 98 manual also says the rear rotor should be marked at the lugnut and hole when removed so that it can be put back in the same position. Doesn't seem like it would matter too me, but that what the manual says.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The 2002 (and 2001) rear pistons require a MORE complex tool...and are a little bit harder to manage as the caliper is off the car in your "back-up" hand. Snap-On brake Piston Set that I purchased DOES NOT fit either the 92-2000 rear pistons, NOR the 01-02 pistons. I have used needle nose pliers on 92-2000 rear pistons...BEING CAREFUL and not letting the pliers slip or "walk" out of the piston...HATE to tear a piston seal !!!

The two different tools are readily available, and well worth the price in my opinion.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The two different tools are readily available, and well worth the price in my opinion.

Two different tools are readily available - where?

I agree that I should have the tool. I'll probably go ahead and do the fronts and just wait for the rear tool for the backs.

Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"readily available" to me means NOW...try Nancy Shanno at Woodhouse (800-889-1893)...JUST talked to Her... or JonB at PartsRack (360-837-3937).

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"...HATE to tear a piston seal" !!!

Ha Ha. Get those cars off the racks and on the track. You won't have to worry about tearing a piston seal as they will be long gone from being melted away. What do these seals actually look like?

Reaction score
I made the tool out of an old 10MM socket and my dremel!

tool1.jpg

tool2.jpg

tool3.jpg

Works like a charm.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done it several times and didn't even know they had a special tool until just recently! :) Just do it, it's not a big deal!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed EBC greens on my 2000. I used a pair of pliers. It took all of about 10 seconds to turn the piston with it. You have to remember that you ONLY have to push the piston in for the amount of space that you wore down your old brake pads. In other words, if you only wore down your old pads by 10 mm, you would only have to compress the piston about 10 mm to get the new pads to fit. On mine, I only had to turn the piston about 1.5 times around.

How different is the 2002 compared to the 2000?

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - I've ordered the rear brake tool, but it's been almost a month now and it's still back ordered.
I'm tired of the dust............

Thanks

Huh??????? Steve Pasztor at GreatBrakes.com....... right on your doorstep, has 20 of them in stock. Call him at (972) 743-9443 and he can probably have one in your hand..... in minutes...... or a few hours!!! You've been waiting a MONTH for it??????????????

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needle Nose Pliers work fine. I was loaned the caliper/piston tool but it was the incorrect size. So, I did a search on this site and within minutes I had the piston screwed in using a set of needle nose.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteSteve Pasztor at GreatBrakes.com....... right on your doorstep, has 20 of them in stock. Call him at (972) 743-9443 and he can probably have one in your hand..... in minutes...... or a few hours!!! You've been waiting a MONTH for it??????????????

[/QUOTE]

Will do. I'll give him a call today. Thanks

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ABS cars are a completely different rear caliper set up and therefore are much harder to use the cheater needle nose pliers trick. the 2 piece funky caliper comes further apart and you really should use the propoer tool- cuts down on the swearing and potential self inflicted wounds when you slip while you try to push, turn and hold the caliper on the newer cars.... Eariler cars - pliers are fine - although the $12 or so special tool for them makes it easier, as well.

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a tool you can borrow. I put my EBCs on when the car had less than 100 miles and did not have to use the tool at all.

If you want the tool just call me at 817-980-1061.

Steve

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a tool you can borrow. I put my EBCs on when the car had less than 100 miles and did not have to use the tool at all.

Steve

Thanks Steve - but wouldn't you know it - just as I finally decided to give up on it and just do it without the tool - guess what showed up today in the mail...... Yeah - the TOOL. :smirk:

Thanks for all the great input from everyone - it is highly appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant