EBC Green Users on SRT-10's- please read

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
EBC Green Users on SRT-10\'s- please read

Well, I have installed dozens of sets on Gen-2 cars, always with good results. However, with very few SRT's around here yet, I have only done two sets on local cars- Both with bad results. Both sets were installed in the same manner as the earlier cars, rotors turned, etc. Since day one, both sets have squealed like a stuck pig, and make almost as much dust as stock.

I am curious to find everyone elses results on the pads for SRT's? I am wondering if I got a bad batch, or if this is just the way it goes with the SRT EBC's- and if so, we are both going back to stock. I will put up with a little more dust for QUIET.

PS- 2000 miles on one set, and 2500 on the other, so they certainly should be bedded by now.

Thanks for any info,

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: EBC Green Users on SRT-10\'s- please read

I installed greens on my old ’03 and they squeaked from the start and were still squeaking 5K miles later. I thought the dust was much better though. The braking was not near as strong as the stock pad however. I bought a set of greens for my ’04 but have never used them. I am going to go to a different Mfg for track pads and not sure what I will do for street pads.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My EBC Greens squeal only at a certain moderate pedal pressure - very light pedal pressure and they are quiet, harder pedal pressure and they are quiet. But when they do squeal it is very annoying. I did not have the rotors turned when I installed them - only did the rotor scuff procedure I did on my Gen2 which has no squeal. I was considering having the rotors turned, but it sounds like maybe that will not help the squeal anyway. I also would like a low-dust street brake pad alternative.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Also should mention, last weekend on the track a ‘04 Lotus that was running EBC red and went through a set in a day and a half. On the times that I came speeding up behind him, he did not seem to be over braking. The driver said the brakes were performing well, just did not last long at all. He had to go home early. That was enough for me to start searching out another pad mfg.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've used them on my last 6 Vipers, and I can tell you this much, you must turn the rotors, or they will squeal terribly. I made that mistake only once. As for a reduction of dust, they are wonderfull. Huge difference.

The performance is great, but the SRT has a monster brake system anyway.

I put a set of EBC's on my 84 Chev pickup, and one dramatic change I noticed, was the initial bite upon applying the brakes. I can't get over how they do this.

Daniel, I'll bet you got a bad batch, or something, and for you guy's that are getting loud squeal, gotta turn those rotors, I don't care if they are one week old. Light squeal is normal, as it's the sound of stopping power.

Skip White

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No WAY! Those things do NOT improve stopping power! Maybe in an '84 Chevy truck, but not in a Viper. The performance is NOT great! They reduce dust, and they DID reduce squealing, but I guess they don't even do that anymore.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No WAY! Those things do NOT improve stopping power! Maybe in an '84 Chevy truck, but not in a Viper. The performance is NOT great! They reduce dust, and they DID reduce squealing, but I guess they don't even do that anymore.
I beg to differ. I've put EBCs on a number of Vipers, and in all cases the braking ability was significantly improved. By "braking ability", I'm referring to less perceived pressure required to provide the same decelleration, and, more importantly, a wider range of extreme decelleration without locking up the wheels. Its most noticable on an autocross course, where brake modulation was improved, and one could un-lock the brakes faster (i.e., before you slid through the cones).

I'm sorry your experiences were evidently different from mine. Your vehement protest does suggest that they don't always improve braking - not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in hearing of the details of your opposite experiences with EBC greens.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tried them on two of my cars. One ABS, one non ABS, and I saw a noticeable decrease in stopping power each time. Whallah!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What's wrong with the stock (Brembo) pads?

Yes, they generate some dust, but they really stop the car well and they last a long long time. The SRT with the stock pads has world class stopping power, and the pads will easily cope with a 30-40 minute lapping session. My stock front pads lasted over 14k miles, which included a lot of track days (and our local track is really really ******* brakes.)

If it aint broke . . .

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock pads, will eat the rotors up, but we don't really put enough miles on the cars to worry. On my GTS the pads were hardly wore, and at about 25,000 miles the rotors had lost about 20 thousandths off each side, by the time you turn them, they are ever so prone to wrarping. No big deal, but I thought I'd mention it. EBC pads, will not do this to the rotor, but they will wear down a bit faster.

skip White

ps, Big Carrot, I swear I never noticed them having less braking power, but I didn't notice better braking worth bragging about, now if you didn't turn the rotors, this is a factor, as the pad is not up against a smooth flat surface. The car will tug in the front, left to right, squeal, hard pedel pressure, as I had one do this, due to not turning the rotors.

I don't know what pads, my truck did have on it, but I'm amazed at the reduction in pedal effort. No squeal on the truck or car at all.

Skip White

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had greens put on my 2002, pedal felt "softer" right away. Also seemed like I had to push harder to stop the car(decreased braking efficiency), greatly reduced dust.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I HAD THEM ON MY RT/10 2002 - DID FINE - LITTLE DUST

INSTALLED THEM ON MY 2003 SRT/10 WITH 500 MILES ON CAR. LESS DUST (HUGE IMPROVEMENT)

I MYSELF HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH THEM - MHO
6041PICT0025-med.JPG

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have em on an Rt/10. Much lower dust but braking *****. When cold you nearly have to stand on the brake to get it to slow down.

Based on that experience I will not try them on the SRT. Braking is much more important than dust.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It may be that when I reduced my rotational weight on the rotors, wheels, and tires, by around 100lbs, there was such an inprovement in the way the car brakes, it didn't allow me to get a perspective on the difference made by the EBCs, I put them on at about the same time. The SRT has such a monster brake system, I really never worry about it. These cars are going to stop no matter what.

Skip White

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock pads are GOOD- they'll survive some track days - ROAD COURSE and be linear and predictable. They do generate dust - but they STOP.

The EBCs sacrifice a bit in braking performance in order to reduce dust - it's a compromise. If you are seeing braking "improvement" then you are not using your brakes HARD like you would on a road course - maybe you are doing one hard stop, then letting them cool completely. True performance pads will stay consistent when they heat up - turn after turn after turn. The Reds are unsuitable for track use - they will go away in a couple of sessions in a car as heavy as a Viper - some have had success with Yellows or Blues.

For street use, the Greens should be fine, but for me, having a good, high performance pad is worth dusting the wheels after each trip.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm suprised no one mentioned a kit like the 3M Brake resurfacing kit. It's just a little 4" rubber disc you attach to a drill. It scuff's the rotors in a circular pattern opposite the way the rotor turns. It just puts tiny, tiny grooves (that too harsh, more like lines) in the rotor and the pads seat in perfect. No squeal with EBC's but this was with a 95.

I'd bet a lot of people that have issues don't turn rotors or don't scuff right, or don't follow brake in properly, or whatever. Not everyone but a lot.

Reaction score

I have put them on my 2003 SRT-10 and was wondering if the squeaking was going to stop. I have about 150 miles on them. It seems that a lot of people have had the same problem. They squeak every time the brakes are applied for about the first second or two then it goes away. Not sure which is better the squeaking or the dust.

John

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The EBCs sacrifice a bit in braking performance in order to reduce dust - it's a compromise. If you are seeing braking "improvement" then you are not using your brakes HARD like you would on a road course - maybe you are doing one hard stop, then letting them cool completely.

Road course? You seem to be equating track use and street use, which, as you have to know, are VERY different.

EBC Greens are definitely not a track pad, but few people really want the crappy cold performance and, with most track pads, the high noise of a track pad on the street. (Just FYI, EBC does make track pads, "Red" for medium temperatures, and "Yellow" for high temperatures; yet most racers like pads *other* than the EBC Yellow for the track - I'll defer to you racers for the best track pad).

But, track pads and street pads are obviously not the same, and each make compromises based on the expected temperature range. If you are willing to put up with *less* cold braking ability and likely a lot of noise, AND expect to be able to get a track pad up to its operating temperature on the street, then use a track pad - personally, I feel track pads are dangerous on the street, as you never see the designed-for track brake temperatures on the street (and if you do, take it to a track).

I completely disagree that EBC Greens sacrifice braking over the stock pads *for street use*. EBC greens have MORE bite and better brake feeling over all the different model year's stock pads that I've tried ('94, '95, '96, '97, '00, '01, '03). Of course, these were all installed on fairly smooth rotors, without any significant scoring. Other people are mentioning that you will get worse performance and significant noise from using Greens on scored rotors - I can't debate that end of it, my experience has been very favorable over stock pads on relatively unscored rotors.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really not, but I think that you think they stop better because you heard that from someone. I have a friend that did the same thing. He SWORE that they were better than stock, so I tried them on my 2001 and laughed at him. I figured that maybe I got a bad set, so I tried them on my '99.... same story. EBC pads will never be installed on my SRT.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This topic comes up every month or two. I use EBC on my street car but not on my track car.

Contact Steve Pasztor 972-743-9443 at GreatBrakes.com for EBC and I think he carries Brakeman3 which is a decent track pad. Steve will take care of you.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm really not, but I think that you think they stop better because you heard that from someone.
Not in my case, at least. I've swapped pads around many times in the last 8 years - I've put stock pads back in after running Greens, and I swap to other pads for the track. After 85,000 miles in Vipers and about 50,000 of those with EBC pads, I'll stand by my perception of it. For that matter, I started using Greens back when I was doing autocross, and I improved my times considerably with them.

I'll grant you it is definitely a perception issue, and hard to meaningfully debate it because of that.

Vipers9500

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As the sales manager for GreatBrakes.com, an EBC distributor, I thought I would make some comments here, and try not to alienate anyone.

Randy, you really know your stuff. Almost didn’t bother to post because you said things so well. I did want to add that there are basically FOUR important issues to remember when choosing EBC pads for ANY car, Viper or not:

1) Proper installation is critical. The typical carbon/metallic resins and those from the Kevlar are just not compatible. Despite stressing the fact that either a fresh rotor surface is needed, or significant scuffing of an older rotor with much scoring, it often gets ignored. On top of that, sometimes people go out after installing their new pads and try to break them in the old fashioned way, with a few high-speed stops. That’s not the right thing to do with the EBC Greens. Maximum performance (and with a generally HIGHER friction co-efficient, NOT lower) is usually achieved after a few hundred miles of regular, stoplight city driving. Doing it the other way can actually decrease their performance, especially in the short run. I promise you, if there is any significant dusting OR noise, that’s absolutely positive proof the pads are not yet bedded in properly.

2) I read a comment above about how disappointed someone was that their Red EBC’s were gone after a track weekend. Sorry, but I say that’s GREAT! Somewhere along the way, it often gets forgotten that pads are supposed to be CONSUMABLES!!!! EBC’s pads are especially designed to wear, being as ROTOR friendly as possible. They are not only famous the world over for that trait, but they do the job they’re designed for. Just ask guys who have run EBC Yellow and Red pads on the Viper Days series…… and won SEASON championships on them!!! Then…. compare prices with competitors….. and don’t forget to add in a few extra sets of rotors for a season that might not be needed with the EBC’s!

3) Finally, EBC chooses to make four major heat range series of pads, each specifically designed to accomplish certain tasks… and be the best at doing it. The Greens are perfect for the street….. great cold bite and easy to modulate to lockup threshold. Very little dust and not much noise adds to the street benefit. For that reason, they don’t last quite as long as a factory or other racing type pad. And, when you ARE done with them and ready for new ones….. I think you’ll be very happy about your rotor condition. Don’t go racing on the Kevlar Greens, or really any other street type pad. Bite the bullet, and use a pad that’s designed for what you plan to do with it. Viper factory Brembo pads are a terrific “all-around” pad….. and work fine for the street, especially if you don’t mind a little noise and…. well….. a LOT of dust. However, give me something like an EBC, Brakeman, PFC, Hawk, etc. competition pad if I’m going to the track for a weekend.

Finally, please remember, your brake pads are just like a bar of soap, or a roll of toilet paper. How long they last….. is going to be directly related to how they’re used.

Please feel free to call us any time to discuss your pad needs or problems.
Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang