ECU Ground?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am installing my wide band O2 today and one of the connects calls for grounding the unit at the same place the ECU is grounded. Does anyone know where that is? I have used the chassis ground for the MSD box and VEC2 but do not know where the ECU ground is. Any help is appreciated. :2tu:

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rick, thanks for the reply. I have been using that ground for all my add ons so far VEC2 and MSD. The reason I asked, is my Innovate Wideband differentiates between chassis ground (heater ground) and ECU ground (system ground). Maybe I should pick another location for the heater ground? Did you ground them both to G100? Thanks again. :2tu:

While I am at it I assume you used the dark blue with grey stripe wire from the black ECU connecter for the switched 12V?

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, thanks for the reply. I have been using that ground for all my add ons so far VEC2 and MSD. The reason I asked, is my Innovate Wideband differentiates between chassis ground (heater ground) and ECU ground (system ground). Maybe I should pick another location for the heater ground? Did you ground them both to G100? Thanks again. :2tu:

While I am at it I assume you used the dark blue with grey stripe wire from the black ECU connecter for the switched 12V?

All add-on's are connected to this ground.

For the switched 12V I used the Solid Blue (14gauge) wire from the loom below the steering column. A 14 gauge wire, with a 5A inline fuse, is routed through the grommet on the cowl to the engine bay. All add-on devices are powered from this circuit.

In a previous life I installed 2 way radio systems in emergency vehicles. A buss (single wire for power or ground to a central location) made life easier for servicing and adding additional equip. Rick

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS,

When you install your WBO use a separate +12V source. Don't use the +12V source of the VEC2. VEC2 is a compute. For instance on my Viper when I turn the ignition on it activates a relay which powers several of my add-ons. The relay gets the power directly from the battery.

Both the VEC2's ground and the WBO's ground will have to be connected to the chassis. They should be connected to the ground at the same location. Also the Heater's ground will have to be connected to the chassis but it's better to connect it at another location.

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Schulmann, I used the blue with grey stripe wire from the black ECU connector for the switched 12V source. It is the same wire I spliced into to get switche power for my MSD. Per you suggestion I will move the heater ground to another location. Thanks,