Emissions Legal Supercharger Package

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DC Performance in conjunction with Paxton is finishing the final fitment and certification of a intercooled supercharger system for all year Gen 2 Vipers. We are currently fitting a 2002 in our Los Angeles facillty and will be doing a 99 in the next week. Certification and final testing will be done at Paxton in Oxnard Ca. The kit which includes a NOVI 2000 supercharger and air to water intercoole has delivered 130-150 rwhp increases non the 2000 and 2001 vehicles (cast piston) we have tested These vehicles were completely stock with no modifications whatsoever. Higher numbers will be possible with exhaust upgrades and engine modifications. DC Performance / The Viper Shop will be offering a stage 2 upgrade that will yield 200-300+ rwhp. We are currently taking orders and deposits on kits that will be available for delivery in the next 2-3 weeks. Retail price on the kit is $7999. This kit is fully tested and will have a CARB certification. No problems with smog or transfer of ownership. This kit is a plug and go setup that works right out of the box, not a system like many other companies rush to the market to make the sales and then fix the problems in the field.

If we can arrange a group buy I can offer special pricing. For product information and orders

Dan Cragin
DC Performance
3370 So. Livonia Ave
LA. CA 90034
310 841 6996
Tech line 310 925 9579

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This kit is a plug and go setup that works right out of the box, not a system like many other companies rush to the market to make the sales and then fix the problems in the field."

Dan, I suggest you donn flame, Chemical, Nuclear, and Biological resistant suit for that line...Ding-a-Ling! LOL

Tom

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hard is the install? Does it come with something similar to the VEC2 for A/F and timing adjustments? Does anything need to be modified? What's different on the stage 2 kit, and is it the same price? This is good to see! I like competition between tuners! This might give the Roe kit a run for it's money! I'm interested!

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Tom,
Not quite sure what you mean by the flame as I am not indicating any supercharger manufacturer specifically. Over the years I have seen many packages rushed to the market only to have problems in production. This system is fully tested and we will be doing our 4th test car shortly before releasing the package.

To answer some other questions: The system will come with a timing controller and FMU for control. The stage two package will include bigger injectors and a different fuel system and lines.

Thanks for the interest.

Dan Cragin

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance in conjunction with Paxton is finishing the final fitment and certification of a intercooled supercharger system for all year Gen 2 Vipers. We are currently fitting a 2002 in our Los Angeles facillty and will be doing a 99 in the next week. Certification and final testing will be done at Paxton in Oxnard Ca. The kit which includes a NOVI 2000 supercharger and air to water intercoole has delivered 130-150 rwhp increases non the 2000 and 2001 vehicles (cast piston) we have tested These vehicles were completely stock with no modifications whatsoever. Higher numbers will be possible with exhaust upgrades and engine modifications. DC Performance / The Viper Shop will be offering a stage 2 upgrade that will yield 200-300+ rwhp. We are currently taking orders and deposits on kits that will be available for delivery in the next 2-3 weeks. Retail price on the kit is $7999. This kit is fully tested and will have a CARB certification. No problems with smog or transfer of ownership. This kit is a plug and go setup that works right out of the box, not a system like many other companies rush to the market to make the sales and then fix the problems in the field.

If we can arrange a group buy I can offer special pricing. For product information and orders

Dan Cragin
DC Performance
3370 So. Livonia Ave
LA. CA 90034
310 841 6996
Tech line 310 925 9579

Dan, for the bigger HP packages, do you have a return-type fuel system and a bigger fuel pump? What kind of dyno #'s can you post since you have done four cars? I would be interested to see the HP and TQ curves in relation to boost/air to fuel and RPM. Can you please post some sheets? Also what kind of results do you have for before and after intercooling?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id sure like to see pics of this product (installed).

8k for 130-150rwhp? everything included?

what kind of warranty?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think the biggest difference between the Roe and Cragin units are the type of blower being used. If you have ever driven a centrifugal and a Twin Screw type blower, they are world's apart. Other than price, I think these units are totally different. I suggest people look at dyno curves of both units, and look at HP and Torque throughout the entire RPM range, and not just peak. You really need to consider how you PERSONALLY want the power delivered, and what application you will be using the car.

My .02

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel,

I have a few clients waiting for this system, thanks for the update! I was going to build a system but thought twice about reinventing the wheel when it'll be available to the public soon. We can't wait to build around this system with a good affordable head and camshaft program. Thanks!

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think the biggest difference between the Roe and Cragin units are the type of blower being used. If you have ever driven a centrifugal and a Twin Screw type blower, they are world's apart. Other than price, I think these units are totally different. I suggest people look at dyno curves of both units, and look at HP and Torque throughout the entire RPM range, and not just peak. You really need to consider how you PERSONALLY want the power delivered, and what application you will be using the car.

My .02

I am not very knowledgable about this stuff.

Can you elaborate some more on the differance in driving a centrifugal and a twin screw type blower?

Thank you.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most important question. What does this sucker look like on a Viper?

I need shiny parts. :cool:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MichaelP,

I really don't want to hi-jack this post into a twin screw vs. centrifugal debate, but here's the basics:

Centrifugal - Your boost will increase as your RPM's increase.

Twin-Screw - Full boost just above idle to redline.

Bottom line: You really need to look at a dyno chart and compare HP/Torque levels at 2000 RPM to 6000 RPM. Peak HP (occurs around redline) is only a small piece of the overall performance increase you can expect from any unit.

P.S. - Some people prefer full boost as soon as they slam the gas, others prefer the gradual increase as the RPM's increase. All about preference.

* Need more info. on twin-screw type blower, click below:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/techinfo-general.htm

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to avoid confusion, since I received a couple of e-mails since this post, this is the same supercharger package APEX is testing on my car now.... the LETHAL 1000!!

Yes, it is smog legal and CARB CERTIFIED!!
Just finished the installation today, we will dyno and tune early next week. APEX has a very long standing relationship with Paxton and Vortech which enabled them to receive, most likely, what was the first FULL PRODUCTION Viper kit a couple weeks back. Because of this, APEX will, no doubt, be offering the Viper community very competitive prices on these kits; that is...after the testing is finished and they give it their full stamp of approval.

It is a very NICE kit indeed!

As the first CARB certified supercharger kit, I expect it to be a big hit in the Viper world.

The diversity of Viper parts just keeps getting better and better!!
-Wayne

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the same kit to me.
Paxton only makes 1 or the Viper and it does offer an air-to-water intercooler.
-Wayne

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhhh, I think I'll skip the $7,999 version of the same thing! What's different? We're at $6,500 now! This is getting better and better!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard alot about this kit but I haven't seen pics yet. It seems like Dan has really taken his time and come up with something great.

Some questions (they maybe were answered before but I dont remember)

1) Can you buy it as a kit and install yourself or does it need special tools/knowledge?

2) Does the crank get keyed/pinned to install?

3) How is fuel handled? Piggyback FMU? Supplemental injectors?

4) Can you turn up the boost if you mod the engine or is the SC running at capacity?

5) Can we see pics? :)

This sure sounds like "the kit to have". As for the difference in centrifugal and screw, I've driven both and while the screw type is nice, I think personally I'd take a centrifugal on a Viper. The car has so much torque already and I'd rather have something progressive that goes from "mild to wild" with the throttle rather than an on/off switch. Just my preference though.

Dan, what can you say about forged vs. cast cars? Any differences there?

And congrats on the system - sounds like you got a winner on your hands.

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the imput. I would like to answer some questions posed. This
particular kit is not the twin supercharger system we have already developed. It is a new system that we have been working with Paxton for over the year. We have worked closely with Chris Whalley the development engineer at Paxton providing him with test vehicles and am now doing testing, fitting and analysis of the first production units before release. We will be doing a 99 model shortly to complete the model line certification process. This is a smog legal system. Pictures will be posted on our Web site soonGo to www.dcperformanceinc.com for updates.

First let me comment on the price. Only last week I was told that the retail price of the kit will be $7,999. Being that the kit has not been released and my final pricing has not been determined this is the most accurate information I have. If this information changes I will let you know. As I stated in my post a group buy will reduce the pricing. Over the years I have worked with many companies in product development for Viper performance parts , spending time and money helping to produce the product only to find the parts available through Summit or Jegs for about my cost. If you do buy from us I can tell you this: an honest price with no more than 15% markup (most companies work off of 30%), Follow up and technical support on the install (we have done them) and prompt resolution of any problems you may have. I will announce our exact pricing as soon as it comes available next week. Kits supplied by us will have several additions that we feel will improve an already good product.

On the last two vehicles we have seen 130-150rwhp increase on cast piston cars. This is with very conservative tuning as these pistons will break if the engine is badly detonated. Much higher hp levels will be attainable on forged piston cars. Our stage 2 kit will include the fuel system used on our high output twin supercharger system.

This kit does key the crank and takes about 2 days time for complete installation. It differs from the Roe System in that it uses a centrifugal supercharger that builds boosts with rpm, is smog legal and requires no tuning. It is also the same system that APEX Motorsports has installed on their soon to be released Lethal 1000.

I welcome all in the So. Cal area to come by the shop and see several of our projects in progress including our Comp Coupes, twin supercharger cars and twin turbo Vector project. We also are preparing Hugh Hoards twin supercharged (non-nitrous) Viper for a 9 second 1/4 mile attempt at the So. Cal Viper drags in Fontana June 14th.

Please feel free to contact me for any product information:

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310 841 6996
310 925 9579

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to avoid confusion, since I received a couple of e-mails since this post, this is the same supercharger package APEX is testing on my car now.... the LETHAL 1000!!

Yes, it is smog legal and CARB CERTIFIED!!
Just finished the installation today, we will dyno and tune early next week. APEX has a very long standing relationship with Paxton and Vortech which enabled them to receive, most likely, what was the first FULL PRODUCTION Viper kit a couple weeks back. Because of this, APEX will, no doubt, be offering the Viper community very competitive prices on these kits; that is...after the testing is finished and they give it their full stamp of approval.

It is a very NICE kit indeed!

As the first CARB certified supercharger kit, I expect it to be a big hit in the Viper world.

The diversity of Viper parts just keeps getting better and better!!
-Wayne

Wayne, you have been finishing installation and beginning dyno tuning this week for the last month or two from what I remember! Hurry up and get that bad boy dynoed so we can see what you've got. I cannot wait to see what you make! It should be very interesting.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, for the bigger HP packages, do you have a return-type fuel system and a bigger fuel pump? What kind of dyno #'s can you post since you have done four cars? I would be interested to see the HP and TQ curves in relation to boost/air to fuel and RPM. Can you please post some sheets? Also what kind of results do you have for before and after intercooling?

[/QUOTE]

Dan, please post some dyno sheets!

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo-
Thanks for your continued interest. The reason the dyno has taken a little longer than expected was really because APEX was waiting on a couple key parts from Paxton. Since I think my car my have the first production kit, parts were coming in on a daily basis. Some took longer than others. The last piece they were waiting on was the fuel/timing controller. It took awhile. In addition, I was at business school in North Carolina all of last week; quite a ways from sunny California.

Promise to post some numbers early next week. The kit is in and installed. I will take some pics on Tues. and post them.
-Wayne

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in group buy, I have talked to Dan in the past about a sc kit but I could not afford one then, My Viper was just there a Dan's new shop for some recall work, high flow cats,a minor tune,oil leak and finishing my own brake kit.Dan does meticulous work and is a honest and a great person to boot.

I fell very lucky to have a Viper tech in So CA Like Dan, (my local Dodge dealer *****.)

:usa: :usa: :usa:

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Daniel and Wayne...
This is such exciting news! Since I'm only interested in CA legal systems, you can imagine my excitement to hear the latest developments in Viper supercharging. Both of you are doing such great stuff. Very exciting. To think, when I get my Viper next year, I'm going to have so many things to choose from. I cannot wait to join in the fun!!! Thank you, guys.

You must be registered for see images

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, BigCarrot.
The only hold up is a little thing called...money. Heh. Were it not for that minor technicality, I would have my Viper right now! *grin* But, hey, at the rate things are going for me, I should be an owner early into next year. I'll make it. I have you all here in the Viper forum to continue to inspire me forward. :) Meanwhile, look at all the stuff I'm learning. I'll know exactly what I want to do with my Viper when I get it. Before you know it, I'll be telling tales of my own upgrades and wild experiences. Heh-heh. That's gonna be scary. *smirk*

Landspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The Viper Shop will be offering a stage 2 upgrade that will yield 200-300+ rwhp"

I would like to hear more about this package...
Do you have an estimated price yet?
"200-300+rwhp" that's quite a vary in power are the hp levels adjustable?
What/if any internal engine modifications are needed to support this package?
(btw this would be on a 99 with forged pistons)
Is there a warranty with the Stage 2 package?

Thanks, Gary

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is some answers to your questions. The stage two system will include bigger injectors and a new fuel system.
A bigger intercooler and intake system may also be added.

I did check the pricing on the superchargers for less site
and contacted Paxton. This is not the correct pricing and it
will be updated when the production packages are available.
I will let everyone know what my group pricing will be.

I will have pictures and dyno sheets available on our web site next week.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance